997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
bhoov14 is infamous around these parts
New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?

Went into the dealership this past weekend, and saw the new Boxster Spyder in person. I just sold my S5 so that I could get back into a Porsche, and just wanted to get some feedback from everyone here on what to do. I have had a few 911's in the past, and I know that this sounds ridiculous...I just didn't envision considering a Boxster until I drove this car. Thoughts????

Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
I drove the Spyder, nice car. But a 911 is still a 911

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
If you must have the Spyder, then get it, but the 911 will be a better value and probably not leave you longing. Will you be happy with the Spyder? Truly happy? That's what needs to be answered. But if I was spending your money, I'd do the 4S.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM
docfink is infamous around these parts
Our local dealer has the Spyder in both black and white. They're both stunning in person, but the car seems designed for primarily top-down, fair-weather driving. Where I live it wouldn't make much sense--especially if I could only have one extra car.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
I am not the only one.

Spyder. Grins o' plenty. Unique. Brand new.
Carrera. More practical. Gorgeous classic.

My foot wants a Spyder but my common sense gene ends up with the 997.

EDIT. Speaking of common sense, I can't help but wonder "if" the Spyder will come down on pricing. I am not to speed with production numbers.

Last edited by PRS 7; 05-20-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: price
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
recognizing that I'm biased, I'd say 997 for sure.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
+1 for the Carrera, I have never thought about wanting a boxster, however I have always wanted a 911!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
fanboy is infamous around these parts
I waffled between a new Boxster/Cayman or used Carrera C2 Cab and decided on the latter. I haven't regretted my decision in the slightest.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Apples and oranges in my opinion.

If you want a bare bones convertible that would probably make an incredible autoX car... 987 spyder. If you want a GT car with year round driveability that can still rip the face off most hard core sports cars and does make a good bone stock autoX car... 997S.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I dont think this is a crazy question

because after driving the spyder I fell in love. I chose my 911 because for me it is my family car and it really does have a little bit of practicality. I could not be happier with it, but if I did not have a family I could easily be very happy with a spyder and not feel like it was lacking.

I do think the car is really a niche car and I would wait for the initial demand to fall and pick one later this year when I could get a great deal.

In a perfect world I would have both

Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I just did my first autocross

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Apples and oranges in my opinion.

If you want a bare bones convertible that would probably make an incredible autoX car... 987 spyder. If you want a GT car with year round driveability that can still rip the face off most hard core sports cars and does make a good bone stock autoX car... 997S.
with my box stock 911S and it was a blast. It was a PCA event and there were a ton of boxster there which I think makes a better autocrosser on the really tight course, but over all the 911 did pretty well in my inexperienced hands.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
of all the boxsters, that one is by far the coolest, but somehow I still see it as a chick car. Did you ever see that Two and a Half Men episode about it? It's very true.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
I was trying to decide between the Cayman S and the 911 (base). I went with the 911 because in the end that's what the "image" of Porsche is - the 911.

The Boxster Spyder has a very nice shape. The top is definitely an afterthought at best. The car is indeed designed for fair weather driving with the top off. If you do opt for the Sypder and A/C and a radio are options I would get them. I know the flash presentation on the Porsche website makes you believe these items aren't necessary because they add weight but unless you live in Hawaii you will want A/C at some point and unless you are deaf you will want a radio and if you don't want them, the guy who buys it after you most likely will.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Ask this question in the Boxster forum and the conclusion will be quite different

Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
fanboy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Ask this question in the Boxster forum and the conclusion will be quite different
LOL good point. Like going to an Apple forum and asking "Android or iPhone?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?