997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I finally did it, yeah i'm an heretic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
So how did you like the turn in and steering feel with those front AD08's on the track?? Also, did you get your car aligned yet?
The AD08 is great tire, very responsive and a lot of grip. After several laps, pushed very hard, they became a bit greasy, but nothing to really worry about. I guess that's the point where real track tires like Hoosier R6 would make a difference, but that's just a guess.
I feel i made a good choice with 245's width instead of 235, but again, only direct comparisons by switching tires the very same day would tell the truth. The pirelli's Pzero nero did surprinsgly good as well. Again, they are very predictable and easy to control. 325's width instead of the 305 i'm running now might change the overall car's feeling (most probably less oversteer).

To be perfectly honest, the tires (or tire's mismatch) was really not the bottleneck today on this track session. In the first part of the day, the bottleneck was me. My driver's skills... Then, in the afternoon when i better understood the racetrack and the car's reactions, i was doing way faster laps while making it smoother.
Only then i started to feel the car's limits (even though my driver's skills needs a lot of improvements!). Basically, what i felt the car limitations was:

1- Brakes. (that's only because they obviously need to be redone, i'm sure new stock brakes would do just fine)

2- Suspension/chassis stiffness. The Bilstein damptronics are really great, but i was surprised to be on the track, in sport mode, wishing at some point something even more stiff, or with swaybars or something that would be real hard (my f125 karting background spoke to me i guess). A GT3 RS would probably be the solution! haha. Anyway, i think there is work that can be done on my car regarding suspension/chassis that would make the car more enjoyable on a track, before even thinking of getting more power or stickier tires or lighter wheels.. But that's me, that's what i felt.

3- Only few times i wished for more power. But i wouldnt even think of getting more power without going through point 1 and 2 AND improving my driver's skills. The car has enough motor to be really fun as is. But on the straights when the 996TT and GT3RS where passing me... I felt i could use more powaahh ;-) But i'm not 1/4 mile type of guy, i like twisty roads and cornering!

4- Tires. Obviously dedicated wheels/tires becomes a must on racetrack when you are serious about it. Especially if you start to check your laptimes and want to hunt for seconds... It's in 4th position on my list because i feel i can have road legal tires that will do nicely the job on the track and still be useable for daily driving, like the AD08 and Pirelli, as probably PS2 and some Toyo's are too (but not Hankook!).

Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
oh and yeah: car freshly aligned and corner weighted.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Matt in Houston is infamous around these partsMatt in Houston is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the report...one more question, did you play with the pressures on the tires? I know the AD08's have stiff sidewalls, I would expect to probably run pressures a pound or two less than you normally would...and depending on track temps, maybe even less.

If your tires got greasy after a few hard laps I would think the fronts probably had a hair too much air in them. Just a guess though...

Anyway, glad you had fun. That's what it's all about! And I bet you can push and use those limits quite a bit further than you think Jon, just dont skimp on the brakes...get some good pads and tear it up out there!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Thanks for the report...one more question, did you play with the pressures on the tires? I know the AD08's have stiff sidewalls, I would expect to probably run pressures a pound or two less than you normally would...and depending on track temps, maybe even less.

If your tires got greasy after a few hard laps I would think the fronts probably had a hair too much air in them. Just a guess though...

Anyway, glad you had fun. That's what it's all about! And I bet you can push and use those limits quite a bit further than you think Jon, just dont skimp on the brakes...get some good pads and tear it up out there!

They asked us to come with our cars with 5psi over manufacturer's recommendation. I cheated a bit with 40/46psi (should've been around 42/49) and i was running before -on the street- around 33/39.

I think that was a bit too high Psi today, it could have been around 35/42 or so.. The outside temp was pretty high in the afternoon and that was the time where it was a little greasy. Also maybe these 245-35-19 would react better on 19x9 wheels instead of 19x8.5, i don't know...

Yes AD08 have stiff sidewalls, which i appreciate, especially on the front of a RWD 911! Too bad they don't produce 305-315 width...

Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
WHITE997GT3 is infamous around these parts
In my opinion I think the car looks great. At the end of the day its your car and what you enjoy the most is the most important decision. I would just be concerned as others stated about two different tires/compounds...

Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

[quote=jon8;2864439]They asked us to come with our cars with 5psi over manufacturer's recommendation. I cheated a bit with 40/46psi (should've been around 42/49) and i was running before -on the street- around 33/39. /quote]

Over?????? I always start at least 5lbs Under at the track as they build up heat very rapidly.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
[quote=Brando;2864564]
Originally Posted by jon8
They asked us to come with our cars with 5psi over manufacturer's recommendation. I cheated a bit with 40/46psi (should've been around 42/49) and i was running before -on the street- around 33/39. /quote]

Over?????? I always start at least 5lbs Under at the track as they build up heat very rapidly.
yes i know it sounds weird

they explained later it's to save us tire$

Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Running higher pressure on the track? I start my day around 28-29PSI and then check roll over on the edge of the tire. I would imagine a high pressure situation would not only limit your performance, but also wear te middle of your tires faster then the outside edges.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Running higher pressure on the track? I start my day around 28-29PSI and then check roll over on the edge of the tire. I would imagine a high pressure situation would not only limit your performance, but also wear te middle of your tires faster then the outside edges.
i think ''limit our performance'' was their real goal...

they probably wanted us to feel our car correctly before

the Mont-Tremblant circuit is an awesome place but surely not the safest track, Michael Schumacher calls it ''the small Nurburgring''

Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
some pics of the day (before the serious lapping with helmet)

http://www.lephotoshoppe.com/Perform...0Driving_2010/

click on "4 june performance driving"

Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
They asked us to come with our cars with 5psi over manufacturer's recommendation. I cheated a bit with 40/46psi (should've been around 42/49) and i was running before -on the street- around 33/39.
put mismatched tires on then get them at 49psi cold and get on track.
brilliant.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
what do you know - it`s a brand new sort of having fun - get 60+ psi hot in yokos which have max pressure limit at 50psi and run it 200km/h.
fun!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
what do you know - it`s a brand new sort of having fun - get 60+ psi hot in yokos which have max pressure limit at 50psi and run it 200km/h.
fun!

first, the recommended max pressure is cold psi not hot, secundo i verified once hot and never exceeded 50psi during the day

and, yeah, the mismatched tires were extremely fun indeed

hey bytheway kids, DO NOT EVER eat Burger King's french fries with McDonald's cheeseburger, your stomach will COLLAPSE. Unless you go to drive-inns with orange wheels, of course..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
i think ''limit our performance'' was their real goal...

they probably wanted us to feel our car correctly before

the Mont-Tremblant circuit is an awesome place but surely not the safest track, Michael Schumacher calls it ''the small Nurburgring''
So they recommend running higher pressures on a track that isn't safe, and this is so they will limit your performance?