997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My New Turbo Wheel is bent!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Angry My New Turbo Wheel is bent!

So I ordered a set of 19" Turbo wheels and tires from Direct Performance out of Florida for my 997S.1. I had been looking for a good used set with narrow body offset for about a year and was excited I finally found some (new these cost $5550 for just the wheels - so was glad to save some $ and buy used, and these came with tires which I needed anyway).

The wheels came in on time and DP said they would already be mounted and balanced. However, I had my tire shop put them on Wednesday, and as I started driving between 55-75 mph was getting all kinds of vibrations (steering wheel and seat), so I took it back in today for a high-speed 4 wheel balance. They found that one of my front wheels is bent which would explain most of the vibration! I went ahead and had them balance all 4 and put the bent wheel on the passenger side front. The car drives a lot better but I can still feel a small vibration coming from the corner with the bent wheel.

They told me I could live with it without causing any damage to the car steering components - only downside is it may go through tires faster (Michelin PS2s). While the vibration is only slight and I probably notice it more because I'm paying such focused attention on it, it still bothers me.

What are the other downsides to having a bent rim? I autocross and may track occasionally - seems like this could be dangerous. Also being the perfectionist I am about my car (like many of you), I don't like driving around with a bent wheel!

Anyone else have experiences with straightening bent wheels? Is it good as new afterward or any side effects? I'll probably just cough up the $200 to get it straightened and pursue reimbursement from the vendor. They'll probably blame it on UPS for shipping or something stupid! What pisses me off is that the Ebay ad even mentioned the wheels were not out of round or bent! IMO, they should pay for the balance too given they sold them as 'mounted and balanced - a direct bolt-on ready to go'. Right.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
No wheel that's already been on a car is perfectly round. If you live in Atlanta, go see my friends at Butler Tire (I go to Courtney or Geordi at the Alpharetta locatio) and have them do their hi-speed on-car balance for you, with an alignment. They should be able to get things balanced so that you don't feel a thing; they're the best in the business. Tell them John with the Supercharged 997 sent you
CATTMAN

Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
You can get it straightened but why bother? You paid for a good set of wheels and they misled you. I would demand a refund, put a challenge on your credit card + the fee for balancing, get them sent back. Don't mess around with this, especially if you plan to track your car. Not worth risking your safety. So, we all know Direct performance is a shady operation.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

My Champions are perfectly round..........

and we differ on opinions on Butler Tire.

I'd go back to the seller and see what you can get them to do.

If it is bent, balancing can only help so much.

You could take it by Wheel Wizards in Chamblee and let them look at it and give you an estimate. They have done excellent work for me in the past.

Send seller the bill for fix.

Originally Posted by Cattman
No wheel that's already been on a car is perfectly round. If you live in Atlanta, go see my friends at Butler Tire (I go to Courtney or Geordi at the Alpharetta locatio) and have them do their hi-speed on-car balance for you, with an alignment. They should be able to get things balanced so that you don't feel a thing; they're the best in the business. Tell them John with the Supercharged 997 sent you
CATTMAN

Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
I had a bent wheel once. It slowly leaked air. I would get it fixed asap

Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Education is expensive .
I would not buy a used wheel because it opens the door to a dilema like yours .

You say it was delivered bent . You haven't even contacted them ?

They have your money . You have a vibration. Any neutral party .. can't know .

They could try and retain you as a customer .. but that's wishful thinking.
Has the tire place inspected the tires? Maybe they should.

My opinion-- Get new wheels and new tires and stop trying to rationalize the vibration or the fairness of ethical business in the hopes of having found that (paraphrasing) "great deal" .

Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
the bent wheel will always be geometricley out of balance and will cause premature wear on suspension and driveline components.

Get it fixed and move on

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
What Brando said, and these cars are all about the driving - and the wheels and tires are such a huge component of that, having a bent wheel just ruins it.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
aside from the vibrations, bent rims leak air, and they leak even faster when you're at speed. ask me how i know i would get it fixed ASAP

Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of updates - I took the wheel to Wheel Wizard here in Atlanta (used by the local Porsche dealerships) to have the repair done. Dropped it off today and will get it back Friday - I really hope this cures the vibration issue for good!

On top of that, I just got off the phone with Direct Performance and they are covering the cost of the repair and balancing to make it right for me. They were prompt to call me back and work with me, so they've somewhat redeemed themselves. Obviously, I would have preferred it be right the first time, but they are being fair about the situation.

I'm rolling around on a 993 Turbo Twist 18" wheel/tire this week courtesy of Wheel Wizard - it BARELY fit with my PCCB ceramic brakes! Very tight clearance but should be fine for a few days.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Got my wheel back today - the car rides a lot smoother! Wheel Wizard in Atlanta made it right - thanks guys!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Glad it worked out exactly like I suggested!

I have had WW fix many wheels for me over the years and they have always done a great job.

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Got my wheel back today - the car rides a lot smoother! Wheel Wizard in Atlanta made it right - thanks guys!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
tr_dlite is infamous around these parts
Ouch! Sorry dude.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Would you have the part number for the F&R NB Turbo wheels?

Thanks

Last edited by Johnny DB; 08-19-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Less
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey - I'm not sure without taking my wheels off to see the part numbers, but the official Porsche website lists them in the Tequipment catalog as part # 997 044 602 37. I think this is a single part number for the set of 4 NB wheels.

Also, I found this information helpful from John at Wheel Enhancement in another post:

Porsche has offered the 997 Turbo style wheels in these fitments:
F 8x19 ET57 (23 lb. 6 oz.) and R 9.5x19 ET46 (25 lb. 1 oz.) for Cayman/Boxster
F 8x19 ET57 (23 lb. 6 oz.) and R 11x19 ET67 (28 lb. 6 oz.) for 997 narrow body
F 8x19 ET57 (23 lb. 6 oz.) and R 11x19 ET51 (28 lb. 13 oz.) for 997 widebody, non- Turbo
F 8.5x19 ET56 (23 lb. 14 oz.) and 11x19 ET51 (28 lb. 13 oz.) for 997 Turbo