997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel Balancing Weight Adhesive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Wheel Balancing Weight Adhesive

Just had my new wheels balanced; they had never been balanced since new from the factory. Now the wheels have black adhesive left on the inside of the rim where the old balancing weights were removed. Maybe I'm just OCD, but anyone tried to remove this stuff?

I've been successful using an adhesive remover (like Goo Gone) to get the adhesive off from weights put on before by local tire shops, but the stuff they use in the factory is impossible to come off - I hate leaving the black strips inside the wheel where the weights used to be. The sticky residue just collects dirt and looks worse over time. Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
REBor8 is infamous around these parts
kerosene or lamp oil will do the trick. Soak it and, if necessary, agitate with an old toothbrush.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 AM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
I use acetone, rub with fingers, and duct tape. Use the duct tape sticky side to tact it on to the black goop and it will pick it up from your wheels. Repeat steps until all gone.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (comes in qt. can or spray can at auto or boat stores or Amazon);or Acetone (slower)

Last edited by obsessed; 05-23-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
3m

3M is great I have used it

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I have used the 3M product before and it's great. Also, there's another product called Oil Flo which is basically a safety solvent - very effective and does not damage. I actually used it on some of stickers that were on the leather in my 360 - all the adhesive was removed and no indication anything was ever there...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all the good ideas - the duct tape and toothbrush are especially creative supplements to the adhesive remover. Will give it a shot!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
I am sure the above will work. I am wondering why the place that balanced your wheels did not do this for you.

I usually deal with Wheel Enhancement and they clean everything real nice.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
When touching up the balance, that is, just fixing what was balanced to be balanced again... the tire stays on the wheel where it is....

is it customary to remove the existing weights and start fresh or just tweak the existing solution with a weight or two more?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Minok
When touching up the balance, that is, just fixing what was balanced to be balanced again... the tire stays on the wheel where it is....

is it customary to remove the existing weights and start fresh or just tweak the existing solution with a weight or two more?
Standard practice is to remove weights and start fresh. You don't want a lot of extra weights.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by obsessed
Standard practice is to remove weights and start fresh. You don't want a lot of extra weights.
Fair enough. I'm more interested in the paint in my wheels vs another ounce or two added to the wheel. Oh well.