997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Worst Nightmare - CEL for Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
fanboy is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Worst Nightmare - CEL for Memorial Day

You guys may not know me well, I'm pretty new to the forum. I've been having a great time digesting all the information here. I just got my new-to-me 33,000 mile 2006 997S Cab May 13th and I've loved every minute of it.

I cleaned my car from top to bottom for the holiday weekend. It's been warm and sunny here in Ohio and I've taken advantage of every minute of it. I was driving my son home this afternoon from a birthday party when the car started running rough, like it was missing a beat.

When I got off of the exit ramp for my house it really started to run really rough, and then finally BAM, Check Engine Light saying engine problems: take it in for service. I nursed the car around the corner to a mall parking lot. Turned the car off. Wait ten seconds, turned it back on, still ran rough and still CEL. At that point I turned it off and called 800-PORSCHE for a tow (the car is under CPO). 2 hours later it's at the closest dealer's lot.

I haven't even gotten my plates yet and it's back at the shop for the second time. The first time it was leaking coolant on my driveway and the dealer replaced the water pump.

I'm sick to my stomach. What sucks is it's Sunday over a long holiday weekend so I have to wait until Tuesday to even hear what the problem is.

I ask you all to think good thoughts for me (and my 997). I'm going to try and remain positive tomorrow at the Memorial day get together when everyone asks "Where's your Porsche?" and I have to explain twenty times what happened.

Sorry this is so long but I needed to vent to people who'd understand.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
When you say cleaned it from top-to-bottom.....
Just a guess...not knowing all of the details BUT did you clean the engine compartment too?

If so maybe you pulled the vacuum line off of the air box?

Stacy

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Nothing internal, just a good car wash, vacuum the interior, and some Zaino.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Stacy in that your problem may stem from the top to bottom cleaning you gave the engine...assuming you did clean the engine? Not only is the intake hose a possibility but you may have got the plugs wet if you hosed down the engine. In that case, you will have to get that water out of the plug sockets but I don't believe any longer term damage has be done.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Fast997S is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the exact symptoms of a faulty ignition coil. The car will missfire and run really rough. It's pretty common and not a big deal at all. Your dealer should have you up and running very soon!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It's going to be OK . I won't try and guess a diagnosis but a CEL is not always a big deal. It's not a happy thing the first time you see it .. but it is what it is.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
A faulty ignition coil would be my guess as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Hey fanboy
I had a similar problem at about the same mileage. It was a simple coil pack. ran horribly rough when it has sat in my garage for about a week and then when I started it up. It has been the only problem I have had with it, that is you don't count the tires I have gone through. You will get taken care of and be back on the road in no time.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
No reason to be sick. Sucks you miss out on a long weekend with it. But it is CPO, probably something simple and then you're back on the road with a big **** eating grin.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 AM
caly is infamous around these parts
im in ohio too,hope not something major,good luck fb

Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it. I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, it was just a big frustrating mess. Nothing sucks more than car trouble on a holiday weekend. At least it didn't happen ten minutes earlier while I was on the interstate. THAT would have been harrowing with me and my 4 year-old.

I'll deal with it tomorrow. It's just not giving me warm and fuzzies about buying a used car. I know I'd NEVER even contemplate it without the CPO program, but even with that I don't think I'd have these troubles with the new Cayman I was going to buy. I don't expect a new car, but I DO expect one that will run.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
probably shoulda got the cayman...seems like you are the kind of person that needs that new car smell!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Just a couple of blips in the bigger scheme of things. It'll be fine.

Enjoy the Holiday.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
cfos is infamous around these parts
FWIW, I picked up a 2009 Launch C2S in either March or April and have 3-4 CELs, 2 software upgrades and a few recalls they noted when it was in the shop. What was really tough (for me) is I finally uncovered those clip anchors for a child seat, struggled to get the clip on and then had a CEL the next day -- about 1 week after the prior CEL. None of the CELs were very problematic (I had one CEL for the gas tank NOT being "properly" closed and the others mostly software -- one for a PDK software upgrade, another for some pump sensor that wasn't fully openning/closing, etc. So it goes. lol

Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM
dr997 is infamous around these parts
Not to be a jerk but it looks sweet on the tow truck. you'll get her back and enjoy her soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worst Nightmare - CEL for Memorial Day