997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tire Installer in CT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
LMM
LMM is infamous around these parts
Tire Installer in CT?

Hi. After one week of ownership, I rolled over a nail and need new tires. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of good installers in the Fairfield Country, CT, area? I am in Westport, CT and one of the tires currently has a patch in it so I would like to drive as little as possible to get to an installer.

Thanks!

Loving the car BTW, put about 1k miles on it in the week which included a drive from Chicago to CT and it handled great on the ride, which included about 5 hrs of rain. Did it all in one day - 13 hours. Don't think I could have done that in my other two cars which I traded in for the Porsche - a Mini Cooper S and a Lotus Elise.

LMM

Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
If nail was in tread, no big, deal patch if done properly should be fine for life of tire. If in side wall you shouldn't drive the car. Since it was repaired I assume it was in tread and patch is fine no need to replace.

When necessary, which is a lot as I go through 4- 6 sets of tires per year on track, I use Town Fair or the Local Porsche Dealer for installation depending on what is being done - both have good tire machines that will protect your wheels. Local dealer matches Tire Rack on tire pricing.

Last edited by obsessed; 06-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
LMM
LMM is infamous around these parts
Obsessed,

A local garage said the nail went in too close to sidewall for a permanent fix. They patched it but told me not to drive it really. I had the wife drop off the tire for the evaluation/patch so I didn't drive there on it.

I have four new tires coming in tomorrow and the shop I picked - Fairfield County Motorsports in Fairfield - is about 8 miles away. Going with four new tires since I am switching brands so I don't have to commit to tires that are currently on the car (Mich PS). My local Porsche dealer wanted $300 for four wheels. These guys want $150 (still not cheap) and seem to do a lot of track stuff so I am trusting them.

But now you have me wondering if I should even drive the 8 miles or just have my wife deliver the one wheel to them and then go back on Friday for the other three? What do you think?

Last edited by LMM; 06-02-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Drive the 8 miles at slow speed (20 - 30 MPH) and keep an eye on the TPMS display - you should be OK.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
+1. I wouldn't sweat 8 miles just check pressure before leaving. $300 to mount and balance 4 wheels is nuts.