997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

If the 911's rear motor config is so bad.. Please explain this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Those two small back seats are great for my 2 yr old son

Originally Posted by USCCayman
The 911 has two small seats in the back that really can't be used for much more than storage. Even then, the Cayman can carry more stuff, so it is just as capable of doing the mundane things as a 911. They could call a mid-engine car what they want, but it would still be a Cayman. And there are alot of folks calling for a Cayman with the power of a 911, so I am not convinced that it is a bad idea to continue developing the Cayman. The 911 itself has gone through some iterations in the past that were not very presentable and left Porsche on the verge of dying, but with proper development it has survived (with help from the Boxster). The Cayman, if properly developed can become an icon. There are also many out there like me who have loved the 911 since we were just out of diapers, but jumped on the Cayman bandwagon because of it's mid-engine, beauty (from our perspective), and the fact that it is closer to Porsche's original idea of a sports car (small, agile, fast) while the 911 has developed into a bloated GT in many folks opinion. Planet 9 (once the Cayman Club) is full of folks like me who want a powerful Cayman and would certainly purchase it over a Carrera or even Carrera S with more power and the Cayman name.

Bottom line, as long as Porsche continues to remain faithful to the idea of Ferry and Ferdinand, I will remain a Porsche fanatic and cheer on whatever they race over all others. I just happen to think the Cayman is a better reflection of the Gmund special than the 911 is.
and his man bag

Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
The 911 has two small seats in the back that really can't be used for much more than storage. Even then, the Cayman can carry more stuff, so it is just as capable of doing the mundane things as a 911. They could call a mid-engine car what they want, but it would still be a Cayman. And there are alot of folks calling for a Cayman with the power of a 911, so I am not convinced that it is a bad idea to continue developing the Cayman. The 911 itself has gone through some iterations in the past that were not very presentable and left Porsche on the verge of dying, but with proper development it has survived (with help from the Boxster). The Cayman, if properly developed can become an icon. There are also many out there like me who have loved the 911 since we were just out of diapers, but jumped on the Cayman bandwagon because of it's mid-engine, beauty (from our perspective), and the fact that it is closer to Porsche's original idea of a sports car (small, agile, fast) while the 911 has developed into a bloated GT in many folks opinion. Planet 9 (once the Cayman Club) is full of folks like me who want a powerful Cayman and would certainly purchase it over a Carrera or even Carrera S with more power and the Cayman name.

Bottom line, as long as Porsche continues to remain faithful to the idea of Ferry and Ferdinand, I will remain a Porsche fanatic and cheer on whatever they race over all others. I just happen to think the Cayman is a better reflection of the Gmund special than the 911 is.

You couldn't possibly think that if the Cayman were the flagship of Porsche it would maintain it's simplicity and size......... There is no way you believe that because you know for a fact the Cayman is not enough car, even with a GT3 treatment (engine, suspension) to be the flagship. It would get bigger, more luxurious and heavier. It would be like an R8 or even CGT which both weigh several hundred more pounds.

The 911 has gotten bigger ever iteration as would any mid-engine car if it were in the position of rank withink Porsche. You would have to be crazy to think otherwise. ALL cars and getting bigger and more bloated.

And by bloated 911 do you mean the 911 that has the fastest street legal tire production car run at the nurburgring or the 911 that placed 13th in the 24 hour race in pretty much stock trim? Both faster than any mid-engine cars with similar weight/power ratios, including ones made by Porsche.

It's really easy to ignore the obvious facts when you really want something to be true, but the fact is that the 911 is just as capable, and has proven it over and over and over and over again. Just took a little more work to get there.

- You have to be joking if you think the Cayman has as much usable room as a 911

- You really must be kidding me if you think Porsche's hypothetical replacement to the 911 would be at all based on the cayman or called anything such.

There are a lot of people that want a V8 in a solstice or S2000, or Elise, or something of that nature too, but a lot of people on the forums is a very small amount in real life. The truth of the matter is that many of the smaller cars couldn't handle the extra power. They are too small, wheelbases included. They would be uncontrollable with greater power levels. The CGT was way bigger than the cayman and could barely control the power.

Porsche has things exactly as they should be. If they want a mid-engine car, it will be a 918 variant built for GT1 class racing, not a car to take over the 911. I hate to dissapoint you, but there is no logistical sense to making that change no matter how much hoping and wishing you do.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Oh well, I was gonna shut up because some folks are apparently getting sick of hearing me talk about the Cayman, but HC goes and responds to my post. You're gonna get me a bad rep HC! I don't want to replace the 911, but it would be nice to have a Cayman with some better power options so we could have filet mignon and lobster for a little variety. The Cayman might get a little bigger, but TPC is giving it near 500 horsepower now, and according to Randy Pobst, it handles the power increase just fine at it's current size. TPC was developing a 3.7 litre powerplant with 600 hp (the car is in running condition) but that has been shelved right now because they can't build the 3.4 turbo fast enough. The 600hp car seems to handle the power increase just fine. And we saw what the Cayman did at the 2007 Nurburgring 24 before Porsche got nervous and threatened those guys with removing support. So, it wasn't there in 2008. It seems anything Porsche touches right now is golden, and they could easily develop the Cayman into an icon with no trouble. Maybe that was the purpose of the Cayman from the get-go, to slowly introduce a serious mid-engine car to the line-up. First Porsche said it would not be raced, but now it is racing and doing well. Those are the kinds of things that endear folks to a car. Now we have an RS coming down the pike. Do those things slow enough and before you know it, we have an icon. It sure looks like Porsche have some big plans for the car. Maybe not to replace the 911 (and as I said, I don't want that), but the Cayman is not likely to be another 914 either. The Cayman is a serious sports car and there are many folks (some who race Porsches professionally) calling it the best sports car Porsche now builds. We can argue about that point till we turn blue, but it is obvious that many folks who know what they are talking about consider the Cayman to be a serious contender, and think it would be an injustice if Porsche doesn't give it the power it deserves. Motor Trend even said it could easily handle another 150 hp as is. However, I am not going to say these things, because people are getting sick of hearing me talk about ther Cayman. So I won't . I certainly have no trouble with the name Cayman, and there are many others who don't either. By the way, I believe the Cayman has more luggage space, but if you use the back seats for storage, the Carrera gets closer. True, I can't carry any kids but mine are grown up now anyway. Besides, Porsche has now solved that delimma for us Porsche folks. You need to carry kids, buy a Panamera, problem solved. But I'm not talking about the Cayman, because I'm irritating some folks.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Hey! I said I like the Cayman/Boxster. I also think that PAG should offer bigger engines in those cars, without making them GTs and heavier.

What I said is that Cayman and 911 are apples and oranges, and I think we finally agree.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I can't beleive some of you wasted your time replying to this bufoonery.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That may make sense to some enthusiast, but it does not make any business sense whatsoever. No business is going to compete with itself (except for GM = fail) which is why Porsche will never give the Cayman any more options. A mid-engine car will be BELOW (Cayman,Boxster) or ABOVE (CGT, 918) the 911 and not in the same complete range (meaning development, price, performance). It's just not going to happen and makes no sense. Despite what you think, the 911 is more versatile, and I bet we can find a ton of people on this site alone who bought one because it has a back seat. You are just smoking if you think your cayman has as much room as a 911. Two seats just don't appeal to the masses, even if the back seats are cramped, having them there will really effect the sales. They are very Niche. The only way you are going to sell a lot of them is to go the way of a corvette and undercut the market vs performance.

Name for me one car maker that has a mid-engine car as the flagship and sells as many of those mid-engine cars as 911's are sold in a year.

Go ahead, I'll wait....................

Mid-engine cars are simply not enough to carry a brand unless you are selling them for a butt load of money and have small sales in a year. It's just not practical enough for the everyday person. The niche is too small.

Besides the 911 is what distinguishes the Porsche brand, they'd have to be much more aggressive with a mid engine design to keep it distinguishable and not fade into the mid-engine doldrum. It's easy being different.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
Actually it may appeal to their grandparents... those who drove Porsches in the 50's and 60's. Other than that, I am in full agreement.

Many of the current 911 buyers have no clue about its technical characteristics and driving dynamics. They bought it for its looks, image, and on-paper performance for bragging rights. Then they are shocked it does not handle as their previous front-heavy bimmer and immediately complain that the design is wrong. These guys are not P-car fans...

Yep... A snob.... a pompous snob, an overly pompous snob....

I stand chastised... I am not worthy... Nice to learn that I'm not a P-car fan....
unbelievable

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
You made your point. We understand. You have a Cayman. You want to say the Cayman is the best car.

I like the Cayman. The Cayman may indeed be better than a 911 from a stability/handling perpective in absolute terms. But that is not the point! Some of us who love 911s love it exactly because it's not mid-engine. Love it because it can dance. Get it? Guess not.

You made your point. We understand. You have a 911. You want to say the 911 is the best car.....

I'm relatively new to the forum but I know when someone is being rude and condescending... It seems to be the only card you know how to play.
I don't understand how you have gotten away with being pompous and rude for so long.

Get it? Guess not..

Last edited by jakesdad; 07-19-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jakesdad
You made your point. We understand. You have a 911. You want to say the 911 is the best car.....

I'm relatively new to the forum but I know when someone is being rude and condescending... It seems to be the only card you know how to play.
I don't understand how you have gotten away with this pompous and rudeness for so long.

Get it? Guess not..
You are wrong. I never said the 911 is the 'better' car. I actually said the Cayman probably is the 'better'car. I like the Cayman too.

There is nothing condescending or rude on what I said. It's absolutely true that many today look at the 911 for sheer power, drag strip bragging rights and such. Many then go on saying the Boxster/Cayman is more stable and such. This is all apples and oranges.

I am often labelled condescending and rude by people who are equally forcefully pushing their perspectives. Then confronted with others who have strong perpectives label us arrogant and condescending. Give me a break!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Yep... A snob.... a pompous snob, an overly pompous snob....

I stand chastised... I am not worthy... Nice to learn that I'm not a P-car fan....
unbelievable
The quote you used above is out of context. If I am a snob what are you?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Enough of this. Thread closed