997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Whew, close call in parking lot..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:04 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Whew, close call in parking lot..........

My black 09 997.2 is almost a year old, non a daily driver by any means- 4,500 miles. I live in relatively quiet Martin county, Fl- just north of Palm Beach county.

Today, I picked my 13 year old daughter up from a ballet recital and, on the way home, stopped at a local Publix Supermarket for a couple of things. I normally park far away in the "least convenient" area, with less chance of shopping cart and door dings.
Anyway, I took a spot right in front of the store, angle parked, with no one in the spot facing the front of my car.

Upon exiting about 10 minutes later, I saw the horrifying image of a south florida, "redneck" monster pickup truck with lift kit and huge wheels; literally parked 2 feet past the painted white line facing the front of my car. I could tell from the second I exited the store, that the pickup mashed into the front of my car. As I got closer, I could not believe that the pickup was actually about 6 inches onto the hood of my car, but since it was raised- was actually ABOVE my nose and not touching my car. I backed my car out, and, after careful inspection, could not believe how lucky I was; completely unscathed!!!

I waited about 5 minutes to have a word or two with the driver; having a visual impression of what I was going to be facing. A guy, about 70, with one arm in a sling comes walking towards the pickup and gets in. I got out of my car to talk to him and he was completely oblivious to my plight and could not have been more apologetic.

Almost a disappointment, I was prepared for a battle, but a lesson learned by me. Never park in an angle strip mall parking lot with no concrete curb in front of you and just a painted line...........

One can never fully plan out the perfect parking spot, other than inside my home garage, plugged into my porsche battery maintainer and under a cover; but just wanted to relay my close call.............

I was too shocked to take a pic with my phone but if I did, the precarious situation that I came out of- unscathed would not be believed......................

Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Supermarket parking lots have a unique character. I don't know if it's that :
a) people are hungry when food shopping .
b) they are tired when they go after work or in a rush if intra day.
c) the combination of shopping carts and cars

There is something to be said for owning a Honda . All the stress that you placed into your post is lifted when driving a Civic to the supermarket. It took years for me to get to that point.

I hear ya . Seems like this event worked out for you but take the time to process it . Even though North Palm Beach may seem quiet .. it only takes one careless driver anywhere to ding the car .

Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Martin County, north of Palm Beach, not North Palm Beach.

Believe me, I know the joys of not stressing over your car. That's why I have 4,500 miles in a year. My work car is a 2007 Impala, but the beauty is the company gas card and credit card for ALL repairs, gas and maintenance.

I do respect those on this forum that use their cars as DDs, not for me, could not handle the stress...............

Last edited by robfxlr; 06-06-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
remember what I said...always park next to cars with 'short' doors in that case. I have no answer for parking over the lines....

Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Shame on you!!! You broke your own rule!!! Now go and write a hundred times, " I will only park in the least convenient area."

Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
I know how you feel. Even though you try and try to avoid potential disaster in parking spaces, it seems to gravitate towards the 911. LOL. I too had a close call several weeks ago....

I was having a wonderful, leisurely drive through North Conway and needed to get some water and decided to stop at a nice gas station. Picking out the "best" and "safest" parking spot, I decided to park at the corner of the station. No one was around and I was just going to be "in and out" quickly. After I got my water, I headed to my car and saw this rusted and old, run down dodge pick up truck pull right next to my driver's side! The guy got out of his side and immediately saw his wife/girlfriend, baby mama, about to to get out of her side! Now, good thing I ran towards my car and literally motioned her to "STOP! and let me pull my car out first!" As I knew, just from the mere size of her and her brood in the back that she needed to open her side of the door completely and at a bigger and wider opening angle than the manufacturer of the truck would actually allow! She would have definitely dented my car! UGHHHHHH! Good thing I got out in the nick of time! Lesson learned folks...bring your own bottled water in the car when you go out for long drives! LOL

Vince

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robfxlr
My black 09 997.2 is almost a year old, non a daily driver by any means- 4,500 miles. I live in relatively quiet Martin county, Fl- just north of Palm Beach county.
Howdy neighbor.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'd like to request the OP to increase the size of his avatar.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I am glad you had a narrow escape. Drive safe. I have my own story on the 997 section..I'm sure it will make you feel better.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM
krevster is infamous around these parts
HOLY CRAP.......

I have always been parking further away wherever possible in all my cars, including my very first car (big Volvo tank) and have never run into something like this before. I'm glad you escape unscathed!!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Clay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of light
Does this look anything like what happened to you?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
completely agree wit the honda comment. great to keep one around for those trips that you just can't risk your 911 on. the reality of owning such a nice car, and wanting to keep it that way.

like not having your hard drive backed up and losing all your data...one parking incident is all it would take to say you'll never risk it again. good to be reminded of these stories...we all need to hear them.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
well just the other day i was in a parkade at a mall getting into my car but saw a family getting into their SUV across from me...little kid (prob around 7-8yrs old) opens their car door and "SMACKS" the car next to them....parents don't even say a thing..keep on getting into their car...dont even really check for the damage... No way they didnt hear it. definitely dented.

i was watching because i got the sense ahead of time that something like that was going to happen.

reminded me to find a big big spot whenever i can...cuz its not just the adults....its the KIDS!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Funny how stressful it becomes to take our "fun" machines for a ride! Between bad drivers, traffic, cops, jealous co-workers, and parking lots, how are we supposed to ever enjoy these machines! I happen to work from a home office, so I don't have the decision to make about whether or not to DD my Porsche. However, I DO find myself making up excuses to drive it, and often have to make a similar tradeoff to Larry between driving our Mazda 3 to the store (safe) or taking the 911 (fun!). The 911 almost always wins. I even drove it last weekend in heavy thunderstorms, which sometimes bring hail in Colorado. I regretted that decision (no hail luckily!) but I just can't help it. I've this car for about 3 months now, and it still feels new to me every time I get in.

A new favorite activity is to take it to Home Depot, park it in a safe spot, and watch peoples' reactions as I fit unlikely items carefully into the trunk, or behind the seats! Snapped this picture yesterday - I had company in the form of this 1980 car in the foreground! (Note: the giant pickup truck isn't as close as it looks) The owner of the 1980 911 walked up as I was getting into my car and we had a nice chat. We agreed that these cars are too fun not to drive. It's worth the parking lot stress!

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Couple weeks ago I had to go to an iffy neighborhood at night for work, so I went home and swapped the C2S for my '02 Range Rover. Good thing I did, but not for the expected reasons. On my way home, going through a tunnel I hit a sudden traffic jam. Suddenly a superbike comes flying between the lanes, and hits - and flips over - a car two places in front of me. Then, horde of his biker pals come through on my right, splitting lanes, jamming their brakes, fishtailing, some laying down their bikes. Three of them bounced off the side of my car, the last one taking out my side mirror and then going down hard. I started to work my way over to the shoulder but to my amazement within 1 minute all the bikers had re-mounted and took off, despite whatever injuries they had. I couldn't get a plate, so my UM coverage was useless even though there were witnesses and a CHP report. Fortunately, the scrapes did not cause dents, just applied rubber to my paint, and I got a replacement mirror at a junk yard for under $150. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I swapped cars, or I would be crying still.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whew, close call in parking lot..........