997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Biting the bullet - C2 suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Biting the bullet - C2 suspension rebuild

Well, I got pretty much whole thing almost finalized. That is almost exactly what I had in mind to do when I bought this car. Should make it OK I hope.

List of items:

1) JRZ RS COs with custom springs, 600#/800# 6” long main springs with tenders
2) 2x 996 front GT3 LCAs with rubber ends to the rear axle
3) 2x upper GT3 monoball rear mounts
4) GT3 front bar, Tarett adjustable toe arms
5) Custom made front drop links
6) 2x front GT3 monoball upper mounts
Already on a car - front GT3 LCAs, rear GT3 sway bar

About of $7.5K total with labor. Due to lack of dough looks like monoball dogbones and billet steel monoball LCA ends will wait for some time as it is an another $2K expense which I cannot do now. Then next will be fenders work and rollcage install.

Does anybody see anything obvious forgotten there?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I would go with heavier springs like 650/850 or 700/900 if this will be a mostly track car in the future.

If you plan on using hoosiers or slicks you might want to bump it up a tad more

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you have it all under control.

I would just make sure a "real" race shop is doing the work and setting up the car. Down here we have Orbit Racing, NGT, etc. These guys run 997's professionally and know what it takes to get the most out of the chassis.

Just a side note. I have a new pair of GT2 front monoball spring plates i never installed. Sitting on the shelf if you are interested.

Keep us posted on the build.
dr

Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mobonic
I would go with heavier springs like 650/850 or 700/900 if this will be a mostly track car in the future.

If you plan on using hoosiers or slicks you might want to bump it up a tad more
this topic was debated during last 2 days actually and consensus was to stick with 600/800. it seems to be best setup overall based on several people`s responses. to bump it up I can either put stiffer sways later on or replace master springs which is easy enough to do.

when it finally gets to this final territory everything seems to be easy. but i beleive springs wise it will be fine.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by machina
Sounds like you have it all under control.

I would just make sure a "real" race shop is doing the work and setting up the car. Down here we have Orbit Racing, NGT, etc. These guys run 997's professionally and know what it takes to get the most out of the chassis.

Just a side note. I have a new pair of GT2 front monoball spring plates i never installed. Sitting on the shelf if you are interested.

Keep us posted on the build.
dr
thanks, but it is too late, I had those gt3 front mounts for a while on a shelf. now it is just a time to put it all together like a giant puzzle.

i do all that in bill pfister 'eurotech' shop in framingham, ma. he does decent enough job and knows enough to get that stuff done right, i had better results from him tuning my suspension than from jerry pelegrino`s pro shop, so, I think it will be just fine.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Just did all that and then some. (haven't done COs yet).

Solid thrust arm bushings, monoball LCAs, springs, dogbones, toe kit and lock, sways and drop links, rollbar, race seat, harness and finally alignment.

Brakes are next on the list.

Good luck and enjoy. The car is very tight now and the ability to tune the roll bars will be nice once I tweek them. Slippery, expensive slope my man.

Suppose it helps I can do all the work myself.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol

i do all that in bill pfister 'eurotech' shop in framingham, ma. he does decent enough job and knows enough to get that stuff done right, i had better results from him tuning my suspension than from jerry pelegrino`s pro shop, so, I think it will be just fine.
I remember those guys from a while back. I moved out of Mass in late '03, but my old car spent some time in Jerry's shop, and I met with Bill, and I took the car to a different shop up north initially, but I eventually settled on Kevin at Randolph Racing. Brings back some good memories. Were you ever in PCA? I was in the Northeast region from 99-03, but now I'm in Peachstate...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jack667
I remember those guys from a while back. I moved out of Mass in late '03, but my old car spent some time in Jerry's shop, and I met with Bill, and I took the car to a different shop up north initially, but I eventually settled on Kevin at Randolph Racing. Brings back some good memories. Were you ever in PCA? I was in the Northeast region from 99-03, but now I'm in Peachstate...
nope, in '99 my financial situation was far away from 911 cars territory.
But it`s all pretty much all the same people here.