997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you ever pause and hesitate to sell the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes I dream of trading in my car for a GT3, but the reality is that I would lose so much money. And I would still mod the GT3

Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I think one of the reasons it is tough to part with a pcar is that each one sort of has it's own personality. Once you find the "right one" and you bond with it, it's all over.
I am still trying to figure out why I feel this way about the Honda Si. It's the the type of car which would typically charm me . Maybe it's the miles or ding that it took in the effort to preserve the Turbo. Maybe it's how reliable the car has been . I just don't know.

Today my Gf drove it . It was still spotless clean and she walked up to me and said " I am also so glad we kept this car . It was really nice to drive it today". Her primary car is the M3 yet she also bonded enough with the Honda to arrive at the same concusion about this car.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I've been through roughly 15 cars within the last 4 years, however, I had seller's remorse along with a few sleepless nights on an 06 CLS55 w/030 package; the other was an 05 White/Pano E55 fully modded w/Brabus kit with ~481rwhp/550rwt. Im about to get rid off my 09 C4S for something more fun.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 AM
canada964 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
^ Yeaahhhh.... I don't have that problem. The only cars I wanted to sell that I owned were all Fords (and one problematic '02 C2). My previous Nissan 180's, Nissan Skylines, Skyline GT-T's, GTS, and Skyline GT-R, along with my G35 (American Skyline), were all difficult to sell. I only parted with them when I had to leave Japan, couldn't take them with me, or - most recently - when I realized that my G35 was simply collecting dust because I haven't touched it in over 6 months after taking ownership of my new car (back in 2008).

in all my yrs in japan never had a skyline (gt-r), which i regretted.

had 2 late model bmw's...never regretted their passing (still cannot understand why i leased the 2nd one), and 2 late model alfas which i really miss especially the GTA.

as we now prepare to relocate back to japan.....dealing with selling our p-car (listed classifieds here....limited edition 92 America Roadster), and that will be truly missed.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I think the more personal time you spend working on the car and modifying it, the greater the attachment, and thus harder it is to let go. I've sold both of my previous cars - the first one I miss most because I had it 7 years and spent countless hours modifying it, washing it, racing it, and showing it. There was no other car like it and when I felt I had 'out-grown' it, I sold it. But every now and then I find myself wondering just where is she now?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Nice thread!

Larry, you'll remember that when I was looking to buy a C2S, I found what I thought was just about the perfect car, but was struggling to pull the trigger because it wasn't CPO, and the price seemed slightly high. At some point, the owner said he fired her up to take her in for the PPI/DME I requested, and he was in love all over again. He decided to keep it! In the end, I found my 2007 CPO car, which has turned out to be PERFECT for the 4 months I've had it.

Interestingly, I have a hard time forgetting about the Z4 3.0si that I got rid of to buy this car. In many ways, that car was inferior to the Porsche (obviously). However, I ordered that car from the factory, and it was sitting on the showroom floor with 4 miles on it, ready for me to drive it home. It had an incredible sound system, beautiful sounding 3 liter 6, and was overall a sweet car to own. It wasn't quick enough, had steering that was very susceptible to following contours in the road and almost ripping the steering wheel out of your hands, but I do miss it.

That doesn't mean I don't grin every time I start up my C2S and listen to it pop and gurgle in the garage as it settles down to idle. Who knows what gets us so attached to our machines. I've been emotionally attached to just about every car I've owned - all the way back to the 1985 5.0 Liter Mustang GT my dad handed down to me as my first car!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
I've always been indecisive about selling or trading in my cars for another car, however it's always about the lust of something new I can drive or show. I will say that I miss my 996 Turbo the most and it wasn't just the speed, but the looks, music and overall bond with what I created with that car from nothing.

I joined an exotic car club about 6 months ago and now I can drive whatever I want with maybe the exception of an Enzo. At first glance I thought the membership was a joke until I did the math on how much $$ I've lost in the past 10 years.

At the end of the day if I had to choose one car it would be another white 996 Turbo...and that very we'll may be the case soon as I enjoy the membership and switch up way to often.