997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you ever pause and hesitate to sell the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Do you ever pause and hesitate to sell the car

I almost sold my Honda . I don't really need 4 cars and someone was interested . I washed it and drove it to where he was supposed to be but he wasn't there (but he did call me later on) . I am glad that i had the time to drive the car all nice and clean because in that time I decided that I didn't want to sell it . So-- I'm keeping it !!!!!

I can think of times when I trade in my Porsches . It's different than selling the car because the excitement of the new car somehow blends with the letting go process of the old car . Sometimes there's a moment where the two are parked side by side as i clear my things . No matter how excited the new car may be .. saying good bye to the old car in that final glance is never easy.

Sometimes i even miss my old car . Sometimes I see a similar car and wonder if it's the same and it reminds me of how precious those memories are . I think that's part of the appeal to classic cars . Every time one looks at an old car in perfect shape it takes one back in his thought to when those cars were more common.

I don't know if I will ever want to sell my Turbo . I feel close to my 997S but not in the same way . I favor the Turbo . So the emotions are not all the same with every (enjoyed) car . Each has its own unique sentiment . Even my Honda Si . Even my M3 which I almost traded in when I bought my 09 997S .

So -- does anyone else ever hesitate ? When you keep the car do you enjoy it even more ? Because I think I do . It's those moments of hesitation which lead to evaluating that car's significance in ones garage.

I just looked at my Honda and I am really glad I decided to keep it.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
I've hesitated twice.

First time was with my 2002 Acura NSX-T Imola Orange Pearl/Black that was the only one made for its year. I loved that car but it was too rare and precious so the need to sell it was there. I was on the fence for a while then listed it, de-listed it, then finally sold it to a collector in Hong Kong. I somewhat regret the decision but as I only choose to afford one sportscar (saving for a new home) then the decision was a little easier to make.

Now I have my Carrera and as it was a superb deal when I bought it last December I wished I'd have waited for a 4S as it will be my daily driver in Canada when I return. So...I'm on the fence with this one...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 AM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
I'm having that problem as we speak...lol

Listed my car in Autotrader in Canada and have one guy that's driving me crazy to buy it, I've been looking at 2007 997TT's but the additional costs when all said and done would be approx. $24K to upgrade so I'm finding it really hard to decide!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
20 cars in 4 years, er. NO!!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Yeaahhhh.... I don't have that problem. The only cars I wanted to sell that I owned were all Fords (and one problematic '02 C2). My previous Nissan 180's, Nissan Skylines, Skyline GT-T's, GTS, and Skyline GT-R, along with my G35 (American Skyline), were all difficult to sell. I only parted with them when I had to leave Japan, couldn't take them with me, or - most recently - when I realized that my G35 was simply collecting dust because I haven't touched it in over 6 months after taking ownership of my new car (back in 2008).

Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I have that problem but I think it is only connected to my first car. I bought my 2004 WRX new and loved it as I did all the upgrades on it or at least with the help of friends. I sold it to purchase a 2007 STI which was more car in every way but was just not as special. Now I sold the STI to get my 2005 C2S and although it again is more car in every way the WRX from 2004 still holds a special place in my heart. I cannot afford two cars. Yes I know it is crazy to have a C2S as my only car and not even be able to afford a crap box. I still talk to the guy I sold my WRX to, he was even looking to sell it a month or so ago. If I get the chance some day I will track down that car and buy it back. I almost NEED to have it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Regular issue for me- I have "planned to sell" the 997 for about 6 months now... can't seem to get it done. Sure I'd love to pick up a 997.2, but I have this odd attachment and it's causing me to eternally procrastinate...

Gloves - Why is it crazy to have a C2S as your only car??? A 911 is a perfect and practical daily driver car (unless you have to tote several kids around, but that applies to any 2-seater car). Enjoy!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
I have been thinking of selling my car, but to get a cheaper car and save some money (lower monthly payment). I fear having a feeling of "regret" in the future.

That or I'm just too lazy.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jherbias
I have been thinking of selling my car, but to get a cheaper car and save some money (lower monthly payment). I fear having a feeling of "regret" in the future.

That or I'm just too lazy.
<soap box> Yes, and indeed you will feel the pains of regret selling it to drive a lesser car. Life is short. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy every day behind the wheel. </end soap box>

Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
kukri is infamous around these parts
I've been indecisive about selling my car for about half a year now. I love the car and wouldn't choose any other car for the money right now, but at the same time, financially it is a lot smarter to sell it.... You're not the only one

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think buying any type of exotic sports car for personal use qualifies as a "financially smart desicion".. ever. But hell is it fun - every day, 2x on weekends

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Hey, I thought it had been a long time since you bought or sold a car
I figured you were getting itchy by now!
Rarely regret the sales - usually happy to get rid of what I had before it gives me any problems!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I think one of the reasons it is tough to part with a pcar is that each one sort of has it's own personality. Once you find the "right one" and you bond with it, it's all over.

You do a few mods, learn the nuances of your car, get to know the specific squeaks and rattles, learn the "feel" for how it sets up entering the turns and when you get it just right...catapults you through and out onto the straight.. heck, even a lowly freeway onramp or exit sweeper becomes a "fun zone". A run down to the corner store for a gallon of milk late at night is no longer a chore, it's an invitation. There are not many cars that give such a feeling of bonding and daily driving enjoyment (IMHO), which for me, makes it tough to let it go... You're afraid you'll lose something so awesome and never get it back.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
It all depends on how emotionally one is attached to their vehicle. People would rather keep "upgrading" then stay with the same old car. If Bose CD system and sunroof is what got them into their '00 model, then it is the panoramic roof, back-up camera and bluetooth that attracts them to their '09 model. They would not hesistate even a second to sell their existing car especially now that it's paint has swirls, door dings and leather has ripples. Add to that the next time they go for that oil change the car will need $ 4 to 5 K worth of work (new brakes, tires, timing belt). So for 98 % of people it is a no brainer hence no hesitation. I always keep my cars as perfect as possible (exterior/interior)...hence they all age gracefully. All the TLC bonds me to my vehicle, hence my car is worth more to me than this crazy market. yrralis1, I know you and what applies for me applies for you...hence the hesitation.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Rarely regret the sales - usually happy to get rid of what I had before it gives me any problems!

A problematic car is usually a relief to trade in . Also there are times when one outgrows a car emotionally . These cars are simple to sell or trade .

After modifying my cars in stages I have grown to enjoy going to the shop . Since I have seen so much time going into the car it pushes the threshold of what I define is a "problem" versus a mild hiccup.

In short --if a care about a car .. I can go the distance with littlle things .
I do agree that a daily problematic list of complaints would cool down most car owners .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you ever pause and hesitate to sell the car