997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best ECU Remap to Raise Low End Torque

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by echo220
OK, Got the EVOM Intake system installed and here are the Dyno results. Gained another 5 HP at the top end and 3 lbft but it didn't change my curves at all. I'm now up to 295 peak HP and 266 peak torque.

I am at a loss as to the next step. Seeing how the EVOM air intake didn't change my curves much,

I'm not sure if the IPD Plenum would either. Any dyno results form those who have installed a plenum ?

I'm sure software tuning would help. Again, without a custom ECU tune, would it just give me more of what I already have ? I need to fill in that torque void below 4000 RPM. Anyone has dyno results on their ECU tune. The local Softronic supplier emailed Softronics about my problem and they only gave the standard answer " it will help ". I'm sure it 's probably the same answer from any of the ECU software out there.

I'm hoping Blitzkrieg can figure out how to communicate with the 997 ECU. They can half communicate with it before it hangs. I have offered up my ECU to be shipped to the developer to work on the communications. Failing that, I think I might take a leap of faith and try the Softronics out. I welcome any suggestions out there. Preferably ones with some hard data to back it up.

My gut feeling is that the X-pipe is causing the dramatic drop in torque at 3-4000 rpm. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that the flat-6 doesn't respond well to this configuration. I'd be VERY inclined to have this changed for pipes that don't mix the exhaust streams from the opposing banks (i.e. crossover pipes, rather than an X-pipe). Can your exhaust maker weld your free-flow cats into seperate crossover pipes instead of an 'X' configuration? Your peak power figures shouldn't be compromised as the increased flow from the cats is where most of the power comes from, but the hole in the torque curve could disappear.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
scalibus is infamous around these parts
solved?>

Has this issue been solved? i installed fabspeed comp air intake and fabspeed mufflers.

Noticeable drop in torque low end like before 3000 rpms

echo if u fixed this issue please let me kno how, i kno this thread is a while back soz

Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
I think I might take a leap of faith and try the Softronics out. I welcome any suggestions out there. Preferably ones with some hard data to back it up.
I am also interested to find out if you solved your low end torque loss with an ECU flash

Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
echo220 is infamous around these parts
Someone asked me if I resolved my issues with the low end torque and I just thought I post it for all that's interested.

I did install the Softronics ECU flash and didn't seam to make any difference on the low end torque below 4000 rpm.

I was convinced that a plenum would help so I had an IPD Plenum would help so another $1000 for the Plenum and that didn't seam to make much difference on my torque below 4000 rpm.

At the end of the day, a lot of money spent, the car is definitely faster above 4000 rpm but I was not able to recover the loss of torque at the low end. I did not try separating the exhaust pipes by removing the x-pipe as someone had suggested and by that time, I didn't want to sink any more money into the car. I did learn how to drive it faster around the track to carry more speed through the corners and made slight changes to where I shift.

I know this was no help in providing you any solutions but it might save you some money by putting it in other areas that perhaps I have not tried yet in recovering my low end torque. I still enjoyed driving the car very much because it drives like no other base 997 and it now belongs to my brother in law.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Someone asked me if I resolved my issues with the low end torque and I just thought I post it for all that's interested.

I did install the Softronics ECU flash and didn't seam to make any difference on the low end torque below 4000 rpm.

I was convinced that a plenum would help so I had an IPD Plenum would help so another $1000 for the Plenum and that didn't seam to make much difference on my torque below 4000 rpm.

At the end of the day, a lot of money spent, the car is definitely faster above 4000 rpm but I was not able to recover the loss of torque at the low end. I did not try separating the exhaust pipes by removing the x-pipe as someone had suggested and by that time, I didn't want to sink any more money into the car. I did learn how to drive it faster around the track to carry more speed through the corners and made slight changes to where I shift.

I know this was no help in providing you any solutions but it might save you some money by putting it in other areas that perhaps I have not tried yet in recovering my low end torque. I still enjoyed driving the car very much because it drives like no other base 997 and it now belongs to my brother in law.
Hi echo:

I was the one who sent you the private message requesting an update. Thank you so much for your very complete response as I am sure it will help a lot of people who are in the same boat.

I am very disappointed to hear about the lack of success after the Softronic flash, but I am not surprised. After reading many threads in this and the other forum, I started to realize that getting back that low end torque would be very hard.

I installed a FVD Sport PDK exhaust system in my 2012 C4S 997.2 about 1 month ago. I am very happy with the results sound wise and torque-and-hp-gains-above-4k wise. The sound coming from this exhaust is good enough to justify the expense, and at least so far, I would do it again knowing what I know now about the low end torque loss.

Interestingly, I talked to Rhonda @ FVD in Miami and she told me that the torque wasn't lost but that the torque curve had moved to the right and that an FVD software flash would rectify this situation. Even though they have a 30 day money back warranty/no questions asked on this software flash, I am hesitant to do it because of possible warranty issues (even though the flash is reversible, I've learned that Porsche can tell at least that the the ECU was flashed without authorization - please correct me if I am wrong); if I had confidence that the FVD flash (or any ECU flash for that matter) had at least an 75% chance of succes to rectify MY specific problem, I would do it and live with the consequences, but according to my findings I doubt it. I am tempted to call Rhonda and ask her to let me know when ***** Brombacher (owner of FVD) is back in town so he can test the car and give me his opinion; he was at the warehouse when I picked up the exhaust and he even help me load it in the car. Very nice guy.

Maybe others with the same problem can chime in with their insights/solutions?

Cheers;

Moises

Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
scalibus is infamous around these parts
Yeh this torque loss at low rpms is very annoying, i would be goin up a slight uphill and if i wanted to accelerate it would feel really sluggish unless i push deep into the pedal

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Moises, You can search on a few forums and find info on our software and the low end. Here is one for example....

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
My gut feeling is that the X-pipe is causing the dramatic drop in torque at 3-4000 rpm. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that the flat-6 doesn't respond well to this configuration. I'd be VERY inclined to have this changed for pipes that don't mix the exhaust streams from the opposing banks (i.e. crossover pipes, rather than an X-pipe). Can your exhaust maker weld your free-flow cats into seperate crossover pipes instead of an 'X' configuration? Your peak power figures shouldn't be compromised as the increased flow from the cats is where most of the power comes from, but the hole in the torque curve could disappear.
This is spot on I reckon!

I tried a cat less xpipe with scavenging effect, the fabspeed one.

My peak power went from 368BHP and 305lb/ft upto 392BHP and 322lb/ft with biggest gains around 5500rpm, approx 40bhp and similar torque more.

But at 3000-4000rpm the car lost 40BHP and 45lb/ft, hugely noticeable, it also hesitated at low rpm with too much throttle. All issues many have seen with x-pipes.

Also the noise with PSE was stupid loud and horrible! I put my cats back in!!

Got some 200 cel straight pipes to try and shall dyno next month, shall be interesting to get the results.