997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best ECU Remap to Raise Low End Torque

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 AM
echo220 is infamous around these parts
Best ECU Remap to Raise Low End Torque

I just installed a custom exhaust system with high flow cats, X-pipe, resonators, and high flow mufflers. The system sounds great, not too loud and great dyno results from 4000 RPM onward with increases in peak HP of 14HP and peak Torque of 25 ftlbs according to the before and after dyno. Unfortunately, my torque curve from 2500 to 4000 RPM dipped quite a bit making the car sluggish until it hits 4000 revs. Then it's like a rocket. I have headers still coming but I think that might make the problem even worse at the low end.

Looking for recommendation on an ECU Tune/Remap that could improve my low end torque. Do you know who is the best out there for this purpose ?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by echo220
I just installed a custom exhaust system with high flow cats, X-pipe, resonators, and high flow mufflers. The system sounds great, not too loud and great dyno results from 4000 RPM onward with increases in peak HP of 14HP and peak Torque of 25 ftlbs according to the before and after dyno. Unfortunately, my torque curve from 2500 to 4000 RPM dipped quite a bit making the car sluggish until it hits 4000 revs. Then it's like a rocket. I have headers still coming but I think that might make the problem even worse at the low end.

Looking for recommendation on an ECU Tune/Remap that could improve my low end torque. Do you know who is the best out there for this purpose ?
i honestly think they are ale same as they efficently sacriice emissions complience in order to boost torque. softronic is simplest to install so I would vote fot it. other ECU flashes are not worse.

if you decide for softronic - ask them there is launch control feature for 997.1 NA cars, they still promise to do it and still didn`t make it.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree that Softronic is a good choice. It can be installed remotely by the dealer, and there is a guy local to you Jeff Alton (on the local PCA forum) of Pacific Western Performance. I suggest you give Jeff a call and talk to him, he is an honest and straight up person.

http://www.softronic.us/softronic_de...rthamerica.php

Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future

Its not that your low end torque is less than than stock, its that the cars midrange and topend is better and it makes the car feel like it is making less low end than it did before. Although, I didn't have this feeling in my car at all. My suggestion is to move up on your shift points so when you make your shifts you are above 3500rpm. Unless you are just putting around town I feel why bother...

Dave

Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Just did the FVD ECU Flash, very happy with it.

Sent the file from my OBD port last thursday night and received the tuned file and original file back from Germany the next day.

Power delivery seems more linear and noticeably stronger past 4k.

Call Rhonda

Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
mondego is infamous around these parts
I had the same experience when I had headers and cats installed. I had the cats done first, and you're right, the headers make it worse. I had an IPD plenum installed, and that helped the most with the low end torque (I also had a GIAC flash, which didn't help as much). In short, get the plenum and that should solve your problem.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
After you did the exhaust, did you disconnect your battery to reset the ECU? Common condition for "decreased" performance after such an install. Even if you did, maybe you should try it again. Even stock my car is pretty flat up to 4k. THe thing I like the best is that it really revs freely all the way up from there without feeling on the ragged edge.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 AM
OK, I have completed the entire exhaust upgrade and did a dyno after each step to see the effects of the upgrade. First was getting a base (stock) dyno. 272 HP and 263 lbft torque at the wheel.

Next was installing a complete custom exhaust with hi flow cats, custom made X-pipe, resonator and hi flow muffler. did a dyno after this mod to record the results. Got 15 HP gain and 26 lbft torque gain. Unfortunately lost a bunch of torque a bit of HP between 3000 and 4100 RPM as shown on dyno chart.

Final exhaust upgrade was new headers. This added additional 4 HP and 2.5 lbft of torque. Lost more torque below 3500 RPM but made ever slight gains after that until it peaks at 4600 RPM. See dyno chart.

All mods have been on the exhaust side up to now. Getting EVOM intake air system put in tomorrow and will have a dyno done afterwards to see the effects of feeding it more air if the EVOM air intake system does what it advertises. Will post the results tomorrow evening.

Attached Images    
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 AM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
Interested in the results!

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Please do the dyno after this mod........then do another dyno after battery disconnect. I would be interested to see if the disconnect did anything

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Who did you get to make the custom exhaust? And Dyno?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
All exhaust and dyno were done at Blitzkrieg in Vancouver. The only thing I provided were the headers for them to install afterwards since I didn't receive it in time. The price was great, the whole exhaust system was $2600 installed includeing cats, resonators, custom made X-pipe and mufflers plus a dyno. All subsequent dyno's were $100 a shot for 3 runs. They can also dyno tune 996's but they are not able to read 997 ECU's yet.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 AM
All exhaust and dyno were done at Blitzkrieg in Vancouver. The only thing I provided were the headers for them to install afterwards since I didn't receive it in time. The price was great, the whole exhaust system was $2600 installed includeing cats, resonators, custom made X-pipe and mufflers plus a dyno. All subsequent dyno's were $100 a shot for 3 runs. They can also dyno tune 996's but they are not able to read 997 ECU's yet.
I know Cheyne well, I was at the track with him a few weeks ago. My buddy has the 996GT3 that they did a bunch of custom exhaust and tuning on. Have you spoken to Jeff at Pacific Western Performance about the Softronic? It might make everything a little smoother then the OEM programming. PM me if you want to see my car, and try it out. My office isn't far from Blitzkreig.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
OK, Got the EVOM Intake system installed and here are the Dyno results. Gained another 5 HP at the top end and 3 lbft but it didn't change my curves at all. I'm now up to 295 peak HP and 266 peak torque.

I am at a loss as to the next step. Seeing how the EVOM air intake didn't change my curves much,

I'm not sure if the IPD Plenum would either. Any dyno results form those who have installed a plenum ?

I'm sure software tuning would help. Again, without a custom ECU tune, would it just give me more of what I already have ? I need to fill in that torque void below 4000 RPM. Anyone has dyno results on their ECU tune. The local Softronic supplier emailed Softronics about my problem and they only gave the standard answer " it will help ". I'm sure it 's probably the same answer from any of the ECU software out there.

I'm hoping Blitzkrieg can figure out how to communicate with the 997 ECU. They can half communicate with it before it hangs. I have offered up my ECU to be shipped to the developer to work on the communications. Failing that, I think I might take a leap of faith and try the Softronics out. I welcome any suggestions out there. Preferably ones with some hard data to back it up.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
so have u tried the ECU flash ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best ECU Remap to Raise Low End Torque