997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New battery warning signs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Just received the voltminder described in my post above. It works great and I identified why my car turns over without great gusto. The battery is drawn down to 10.5 volts when starting. I'll replace the battery when it drops below 10. The reason for the marginal voltage was also identified. It has been my experience that if the alternator is not charging the battery to 14 volts you will not get full capacity. The charger in my car is charging to 13.8.

This is a small device that is easily held in the arm rest compartment and plugs into the socket just forward of the compartment. It's $30. Well worth it. http://voltminder.com/buynow.htm

ChuckJ

Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Just received the voltminder described in my post above. It works great and I identified why my car turns over without great gusto. The battery is drawn down to 10.5 volts when starting. I'll replace the battery when it drops below 10. The reason for the marginal voltage was also identified. It has been my experience that if the alternator is not charging the battery to 14 volts you will not get full capacity. The charger in my car is charging to 13.8.

This is a small device that is easily held in the arm rest compartment and plugs into the socket just forward of the compartment. It's $30. Well worth it. http://voltminder.com/buynow.htm

ChuckJ
I think 13.8V charging is the std voltage. Higher and it's bad for the battery...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
I think 13.8V charging is the std voltage. Higher and it's bad for the battery...
Interestly, I just charged the battery with an external charger and it now charges at 14V and starts go down to 11V.

ChuckJ

Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Ain't it the truth. Very funny link.