997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What simple options do you think Porsche should offer in the 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stevepow
smaller key, and I'm all set.
And a key with TWO buttons to LOCK and UNLOCK.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Auto up passenger side window.

Really Porsche, I don't understand this upper third thing.
Yes, I want that too! That is a must!!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I bolded three -

3) Rear seat -- I think they are there as a marketing tool to lower insurance costs . The car is defined as a "coupe" rather than a sports car .
^ i don't agree - the actuaries are smarter than that. my kids ride in my car a lot. IMHO

other thoughts:
  • lots of opinions here - which probably explains the kafkaesque options when ordering a new porsche
  • lightweight = more engineering = more cost. it's a paradox
  • interesting comment on the 3.6 being easier to mod - good point to a degree. if you're going to go from a base carrera to a track car, i'm not sure you'll get your money's worth as opposed to just buying more car though
  • agree rear camera is for kids, not for parking. i don't prefer it on my porsche but have it on our wagon. if you can't park this thing, you need an IQ interlock on the starter
  • cloth? not for me, but interesting.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I can only speak for myself.

The 911 is a small car that has great sightlines (for the most part) and is extremely easy to park.

But I live in a neighborhood FULL of kids and no matter how slowly and carefully I back out of my driveway I'm always afraid that I'm going to miss something in the area behind the car that I can't see. Unfortunately that area is just about the perfect size for a small child. I'd happily take a little extra weight for that extra safety measure.
Interesting point of view. I too live in a younger neighborhood with kids but never really saw this problem with a kid hiding out behind my car in a driveway.

I was just thinking...with all the saftey precautions we have today to protect kids and even ourselves it's a wonder I made it past age 12. I am 44yrs old now and a product of the late 60's and 70's.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
All are good Points.
1.- A stripped version is good for the pure racers.
2.- A feature rich version is good for the 21st century people.
It is understood that some things might add weight and that needs to always be considered on this type of vehicle, but YES some things are only Software things that can be done at a no weight expense.
3.- Rear Cam might add weight but once you have had it, you miss it.

Last edited by mgf997; 06-15-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Word up my man. I know Porsche will probably never do this, but it actually would be very good for the long term viability of the brand. Having too many "fat old white guys" buying the car is very bad for brand image, and having too many Porsches that are heavy cruising GT's with all kinds of luxury car options is very bad for the brand. Better to get more real racers into the car, a cheaper car so younger people can buy it, something rougher and meaner so it has a better cool factor.

Originally Posted by JEllis
It's called a GT3RS
Yeah yeah yeah....I was waiting for the first guy that would throw the GT3 or RS into the mix but what I am NOT talking about is a 100K plus 911 due to limited production and overly expensive technology. No, I am talking about a base 911 with a 3.6L engine, 6spd, no sunroof, no sound deadening, no AC/Stereo, no rear seats, cloth buckets/shells, a roll bar and LSD. Think 964 RS America. That was really just a stripped 964 that was actually CHEAPER than the base 911 (at the time). Whats funny is that in these times, the only manufacturer actually producing "stripper" versions of their sports car for LESS than their base model is Hyundai with their Genesis 2.0T R.

There are rumors of a 911 GTS coming down the pipe but my bet is that it will actually cost more than a standard 911.

Actually, like I stated earlier the RS America was actually cheaper than the base 911 at the time of its sale. Of course RS America's are expensive in the used market.

But, if Porsche did a "RS America" or something, and sold it in the 70's, that would be fantastic. Or maybe just offer weight saving/delete options as no-cost alternatives.

Either way, I hate the idea of the base 911 getting relegated to a GT status and getting loaded up with more heavy gizmo's that only take away from the cars performance.

Jason

Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
chapman is infamous around these parts
Passenger window auto-up
Ability to lock in sport mode w/ the seat memory and stay there after restart
Full leather
Lock/Unlock buttons on remote & a cool ceramic or carbon fiber key
GPS map default w no warning
Ability to turn off dash service lights

Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
I read all of this is great interest. A lot of customer feedback for Porsche to consider, but also consider the 'mentality' of Porsche and it's range of premium, sports cars. With that in mind, here are my observations:

1. The demographic I have noticed here, who own 911s are early middle-aged and educated males. They are either in a long-term relationship or separated. A majority have children, too.

2. Their 'wants' and 'needs' tend to fall in two baskets; those who want more features; safety, convenience and comfort, and those who want raw, unadulterated control and speed.

3. Both camps like to pick and choose their basic features, but at the same time compromise on the basic package. I.e., no sunroof option (why?) a half-GT3 spec, half-turbo spec etc.

With those observations I think Porsche have a general attitude towards customer's needs and wants while at the same time have a guiding force to where they want their brand philosophy to go.

A 911, in general, is for the mature sports car enthusiast. It offers the practicality and performance to a point; their customers have a decent amount of life experience, having dreamed of a 911 in their earlier years and having worked hard throughout their life, career and family. It is a reward for that hard work in the shape of a modern car whilst maintaining the history of the earlier model 911 they dreamed about as a kid. As a mature enthusiast, they appreciate the classic look and feel of the 911 and don't want to be nannied by intrusive driver aids or gizmos which detract from that classic experience. Hence the engineers at Porsche detail the 911 with the following points (of the current, 997.2):

1. Sunroof: It's neither here nor there; it doesn't add any discernible weight penalty nor does it impede on the basic structural and torsional rigidity. Engineering has come so far as to make advances in metal fabrication for sunroofs a non-issue. I wonder why so many people care that the 911 has a sunroof if they don't want one. Someone explain?

2. Rear park cameras: Most of the 911 market have children. But the 911 is a reward for doing all those things yet succeeding in life. They want the owner to experience a time when they didn't have children, to remind them of their youth and enthusiasm without the burden of their current responsibilities.

3. Auto headlights: Considering that the 997 series was brought in early 2005 when only luxury sedans had such features. But I think this has no effect on the philosophy; to be engaged with the driving experience. To operate the controls and be involved with the driving, not having the 911 do it all for you. Yes, I find it annoying sometimes only because my other cars have auto-headlights, but I feel that I am responsible for the basic operations of the car and it adds to that experience.

4. Cloth interior: I think this has more to do with market perceptions that manufacturers that offer a cloth option (at lower cost) detracts from the marque's image. Besides, alcantara is available for the race-type 911s such as the GT3 and GT2. Although I WOULD like to see the end of non-full leather interiors.

5. The Mix & Match options of cars: The 911 is a mass-produced car. Stuttgart makes over 100 911s per day and if you have seen the documentary on 997.2 from Nat Geo you will see how very time-consuming it is to have these options put in. Porsche are one of the only brands that HAND PAINT the base colours of their cars. This is because robots cannot easily cater for the demand for custom colours. Their roles are to apply the primer/undercoat and clear coats. Another reason for the limitation of custom choices is to maintain some semblance of linearity of the 911 models. There are already 14 (i think) different models of the 911. We're already spoilt for choice here!

These are my thoughts. Any of yours?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
i don't agree - the actuaries are smarter than that. my kids ride in my car a lot. IMHO
I decided to do a little history of Porsche reading to figure out why those seats are there and they they remain there in the current car. I may have been told about the "lower insurance" coupe definition as a selling point presented to me somewhere in my 15+ years of buying these cars . Or I may have read it .. but can't find where .

So i decided to look and read. This explanation seems to really focus on as there are many articles citing the 2+2 status of earlier Porsches . This made the most sense of how they got the idea for the seats in the first place . http://auto.howstuffworks.com/porsche-911-history.htm

Snippet frm article --

"At first, the Porsche 911 was seen not as a 356 replacement but as a larger four-seat car with performance comparable to that of the charismatic Carrera. It was intended that other 356s carry on even after the "big Porsche" was launched, as indeed some did for a time. But Ferry Porsche changed his mind about the size, fearing a full four-seater would put his firm in the unaccustomed and uncomfortable position of competing with much larger outfits, notably Daimler-Benz.
By 1959, work was underway on what emerged as the T-7 prototype (T-6 was the last 356 body, appearing in 1961). Styling was entrusted to one of Ferry's four sons, Ferdinand Porsche III, known as "Butzi." Ferry wasn't a body designer per se, but he knew what he wanted. A family resemblance to the 356 was a must, but so were (as he later described) "more space inside" and a "luggage space that could take an owner's golf clubs."

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
The rear seat, although small are usable (if needed). My 8 year old loves it, my 17 year old does not. I think the car would suffer in sales if they where not there at all. If you dont want them, they come right out. Either way they are there and can be used.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Emergency spare and a way to attach the take-off wheel to the outside of the vehicle.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM
ske
ske is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JEllis
-Cloth only interior
-Sound deadening delete
-Sunroof delete
-AC/Stereo delete
-Rear seat delete
-Roll bar certification for US customers

Jason
I totally agree. I despise that they dont have a "stripper" model for those that just want a more basic car that they plan to modify/track anyway. Not everyone wants to drop the extra $20k plus for a gt3, for many a "standard" 997 engine will suffice. I would def. be interested in a barebones manual 997 with cloth seats. But i live i'm Phoenix so the AC would have to stay

Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
Interesting point of view. I too live in a younger neighborhood with kids but never really saw this problem with a kid hiding out behind my car in a driveway.

I was just thinking...with all the saftey precautions we have today to protect kids and even ourselves it's a wonder I made it past age 12. I am 44yrs old now and a product of the late 60's and 70's.
i was playing outside since i was 6 years old with no supervision, rode my bicycle and skateboard with no protection, climbed trees and enjoyed life with scuffs, fights, black eyes, etc.

nothing that modern kids are allowed to do thanks to lawyers, insurances, policies, etc. it is not about safety - it is all about enforced government rules. and result of that is that parents simply lock up their kids inside of their houses and make them watch tv and get fat as pigs because they do not run and play enought outside as they should. but they are safe all right.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Yesterday someone asked my 7 year old daughter why she liked riding in the 997S better than in the Mercedes, BMW, or Range Rover. She gave these reasons: She likes the seat better - it is cozy; she is closer to me (spatially); and it is faster, more fun. I had always figured she would rather sit up high in the limo-like luxury of the RR, but I completely understand her preference.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh - One more thing. I don't know why, but when I press the memory button for the seat, I need to keep it pressed until it reaches its destination setting.??. I already had to use #1 and #2 to simulate a move back on exit/entry (I only use it to enter) and now when I get in I press #2 to get it back to my setting and yes, you need to keep the button pressed.
I know, I know I will probably get bashed for being silly, but sometimes its the simple things that make a difference.
Don't get me wrong, I do feel that we should do a separate thread, "What Major things does your 911 do great".
The performance is EXCELLENT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What simple options do you think Porsche should offer in the 911?