997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

street tires: re-11 or ra1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
street tires: re-11 or ra1

got racing hoosiers on my stock 18" rims finally corded, so, what is the opinion about non-shaved RA1 toyos - are they OK to be driven on a street or would it be better/safer to get RE11s?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I drive my RA1's from my house to Sebring. This is a 1hr 30 min drive 97 miles. I shaved my RA1's to 5/32. I did the full tread RA1 deal before and thought I was driving that track on marshmellows!

RA1 is an aweosme track tire used in many DE and racing groups and can be used on the street. B'stone RE11 is more of a street tire that can be used at the track.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, I saw old threads. Partially dilemma I have is related to the sizing as i need to fit those tires on stock wheels which are quite narrow - 8" and 10". tirerack suggests 235/265 combo for re11 - they have correct diameters but 265mm for rear is not much. RA1 seems to have correct diameters in 245/305 sizes only and 305mm is a bit too wide I afraid for 10" rears. Not sure, will need to think about it.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
I actually just put RE-11s on to replace my PS-2s. I like them a lot. They're very consistent with excellent response, road noise is muuuch lower as well. I did do one auto-x on them when I accidentally ended up at a BMW event this past sunday (thought I was coming to NCR region event to run with you guys). I did notice that the RE-11s had a definite sweet spot and once i over that spot heat and pressure wise the whole car got a little loose. It was, however, very predictable and manageable (as manageable as a tail happy car can be).

-Alex

Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Yep, I saw old threads. Partially dilemma I have is related to the sizing as i need to fit those tires on stock wheels which are quite narrow - 8" and 10". tirerack suggests 235/265 combo for re11 - they have correct diameters but 265mm for rear is not much. RA1 seems to have correct diameters in 245/305 sizes only and 305mm is a bit too wide I afraid for 10" rears. Not sure, will need to think about it.
Yeah I'd think 305 on 10" wheel is too much tire for that wheel. You need at least 11" on the rear for that size.

Sell the 18 OEM Porsche rears to a guy that AutoX's a Boxster and get you some new street wheels. Those OZ Alleg.... are probably around $1700 in correct sizes for your car.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I just put RE-11's on to replace my PS2's, and I am very happy. I feel like I have a better overall tire (handling, comfort, road noise, predictability) for less money. Win all around. I'll be buying the RE-11's again when it's time.
CATTMAN

Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah I'd think 305 on 10" wheel is too much tire for that wheel. You need at least 11" on the rear for that size.

Sell the 18 OEM Porsche rears to a guy that AutoX's a Boxster and get you some new street wheels. Those OZ Alleg.... are probably around $1700 in correct sizes for your car.
i like those carrera classic rims, do not want to swap them for cheap OZs... I just got rid of botticellis... I would rather do 235/265 re11s.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you planning to drive in rain at all? I do not believe the Toyos are ideal for rain, but other members with more knowledge can jump in on this.

I have RE-11s on my car, they are great for street and decent for the track They are not manufactured for track use so not as good as r-compounds of course.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i like those carrera classic rims, do not want to swap them for cheap OZs... I just got rid of botticellis... I would rather do 235/265 re11s.
The OZ Alleggrita are not cheap wheels...they are cast just like the OEM's. I see them a lot at the track for DE and races.