997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I need opinions about a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Larry, you're the pro at these decisions, always giving sound advice to 6sp members. If it was me I would hold off on this one...you never lose money you don't spend, and in daily driving how much of an improvement could you get over your current cars, given the amount you have to invest? Sounds like the funFactorIncrease/cost ratio is hard to justify.

Few things i would be asking myself if still deciding on the car:
1. How much are you currently driving the S PDK vs. the Turbo....and why?
2. How long would you want to keep the new car? (been said before but RS would be pretty nice to hold onto if you're thinking long term)
3. Do I have any interest in the 991/998, and is there a chance when those come out in a year or two I would want one...regretting the GT3 purchase?

3 options currently: do nothing, GT3, or RS. If you get yourself down to 2 options you could always use the funny but tried-and-true method of flipping a coin, and before you look at the result of the flip, ask yourself what you were hoping the result would be while it was in the air. Can't deny first instincts.

Enjoy the process, and let us know how it turns out!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
How about this, sell both the Turbo and the C2S and get the new GT2 RS! It has the Turbo power which you don't want to lose and it has great handling!

Otherwise you certainly will lose a lot of money on the C2S, and will not get a chance to appreciate all the advantages of a GT3 or RS...
I don't ever want to sell the Turbo . I love that car. In fact I've even considered the 780 upgrade (platinum spark plugs ... etc).

I'm not up to price yet. The first thing is to decide whether my perception about the car is better than actually having it . When one usually buys a car it begins as a thought , and he imagines it (that's fantasy) .

Reality begins when he gets the car and most people buy when they haven't considered all the realities about having the car. Of course price is one of the realities ... but I am still weighing the others. If my decision settles where I don't buy the car .. and i haven't even considered price .. then at least i will know that my choice was more about whether the car is the right car .

Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RNS
Larry, you're the pro at these decisions, always giving sound advice to 6sp members. If it was me I would hold off on this one...you never lose money you don't spend, and in daily driving how much of an improvement could you get over your current cars, given the amount you have to invest? Sounds like the funFactorIncrease/cost ratio is hard to justify.

Few things i would be asking myself if still deciding on the car:
1. How much are you currently driving the S PDK vs. the Turbo....and why?
2. How long would you want to keep the new car? (been said before but RS would be pretty nice to hold onto if you're thinking long term)
3. Do I have any interest in the 991/998, and is there a chance when those come out in a year or two I would want one...regretting the GT3 purchase?

3 options currently: do nothing, GT3, or RS. If you get yourself down to 2 options you could always use the funny but tried-and-true method of flipping a coin, and before you look at the result of the flip, ask yourself what you were hoping the result would be while it was in the air. Can't deny first instincts.

Enjoy the process, and let us know how it turns out!
This is sound advice and i have ended up in the past almost note for note to what you are saying . Logic agrees with your points and emotional reasoning seems to cloud it . If I go to park the RS and a see an SUV in a parking lot fling open a door would I worry if it really was the right car. Is the joy of having the RS without stress ? Most don't think of everything . I am trying to go through each thing.

And yes .. the price --but then I think of every car i ever bought that i may have spent too much on. Sometimes I did not regret it and other times I did. So --It leaves the question .. will i face buyers remorse or not .. and that's something which has to be decided before buying the car .

I didn't buy it today . But I also didn't say no.
I sit on the fence with it and i won't buy it or say no until I am certain.
In fact I did say no a few months ago . Maybe I can wait and open this up again . I know time is on my side . I just don't want to miss the boat and look back on it as if i did.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I'm not up to price yet. The first thing is to decide whether my perception about the car is better than actually having it . When one usually buys a car it begins as a thought , and he imagines it (that's fantasy).
I think your perception of the car is better than the car itself, well actually, the car is a great track car. But to fully appreciate a GT3 you indeed need to track it! Otherwise, there is no benefit to changing your car. But it is your decision, and your money.

I vote for an Aerokit upgrade, plain and simple...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM
This may end up being the hardest car that I never bought. I don't know if any of you guys ever walked away from buying a car that you really wanted because so many aspects of the purchase just pointed towards it not being the right time .

To buya gt3 or an RS i think a person has to be 100 percent on all aspects . Ugh.

Look .. if i don't buy it.. I do think you guys helped .
This discusion has helped .

Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Been thinking about this myself and finally made a decision regarding GT3 or RS.

Still undecided if I want to make the step; but if I do it will be standard GT3 as it may never be tracked. I think the extra comfort of the non RS is more important as I will rarely get a chance to use much of the performance anyway.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I track my car (quite often); I drove 3 hours today to Sebring for a weekend DE event. And I dream of owning a GT3 RS all the time, and I actually can buy one but I spent so much money on my C2S that it would be such a waste to simply let my car go...

If I was not tracking, I would keep my car and would not upgrade to a GT3.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
Larry, I think most, if not all of the pertinent points have been discussed, but I think you may have answered your own question in the last post "not being the right time". I don't think I am the only one, but when it is right we all seem to just go with it, but when it is not right we analize and think, analize and think...and that is a pretty could sign it may not be the right time. Also thanks again for the input on one of my possible purchases.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Larry,
Since you don't track your cars, it would seem the GT3/GT3RS is a seed planted in your head by Porsche marketing! Yes, it's a purists delight but that's for those who fling their cars around tracks with high g forces and speed.

You've already got two great cars. My suggestion is to hold on to them and with the next generation 911 imminent, hold your powder (money!) until they arrive. As with all past model upgrades they'll be some great performance gains and probably a cool interior courtesy of the Panamera.

If you must spend your money now, I'll offer 3 ideas; 1) you should send me a check 2) consider the TPC 775 Blitzkrieg which is short money compared to a new car or 3) as Utkinpol mentioned, buy the 997.2 turbo trading in one of your cars.

Good luck with your evaluation and don't overlook option #1!

Bob

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
pretty could....wow good, I should review my posts.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
MarathonBob and utkinpol - I'm with them. I've heard from you too. You WANT a GT3. But you aren't really going to like it. For all your not going to like about the GT3, you would WANT (not like) an RS even more. You don't track. SO, the RS is the much hotter machine that is even more raw. I haven't looked, but I don't want to know the ticket for one of those. Neither of these cars are even close to a daily driver. Might as well have a Gallardo.
Seriously, the 2010 PDK TT is one of the fastest production cars made now. Much more car than your S and at least you could really drive it all the time. Imagine parking the RS in your parking garage!
You were the one that started the thought about car remorse when you sell. I look at it another way. When you've had a car, really love it, modded it perfectly, that's when you done and it's time to sell it. Time to move to the next project . Why else did Stacey take off the supercharger to install the turbo!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by ConcreteRon
Larry, I think most, if not all of the pertinent points have been discussed, but I think you may have answered your own question in the last post "not being the right time". I don't think I am the only one, but when it is right we all seem to just go with it, but when it is not right we analize and think, analize and think...and that is a pretty could sign it may not be the right time. Also thanks again for the input on one of my possible purchases.

Yep .... what an emotionally exhausting day . Next time I go to the dealership new cars section I need to take a nap before i go.

You are so right .
I'm going to wait . I can always buy the car on another day when (as you point out ) --one just "goes with it" .

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Oh, and by now you should be able to drive a GT3. And a 2010 TT. Drive em and talk to me. An RS would be cool to have and take to DE's. Not drive to work.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
I track my car (quite often); I drove 3 hours today to Sebring for a weekend DE event. And I dream of owning a GT3 RS all the time, and I actually can buy one but I spent so much money on my C2S that it would be such a waste to simply let my car go...

If I was not tracking, I would keep my car and would not upgrade to a GT3.

Lets say you bought the RS . Do you feel that you woild feel the same way tracking it after the both the expense as well as how rare the car is ?
An 08 997s is a lot easier to replace but with the RS to order it to ones likes it could very well be one of a kind.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
MarathonBob and utkinpol - I'm with them. I've heard from you too. You WANT a GT3. But you aren't really going to like it. For all your not going to like about the GT3, you would WANT (not like) an RS even more. You don't track. SO, the RS is the much hotter machine that is even more raw. I haven't looked, but I don't want to know the ticket for one of those. Neither of these cars are even close to a daily driver. Might as well have a Gallardo.
Seriously, the 2010 PDK TT is one of the fastest production cars made now. Much more car than your S and at least you could really drive it all the time. Imagine parking the RS in your parking garage!
You were the one that started the thought about car remorse when you sell. I look at it another way. When you've had a car, really love it, modded it perfectly, that's when you done and it's time to sell it. Time to move to the next project . Why else did Stacey take off the supercharger to install the turbo!

Well -- I don't feel quite this way about my Turbo . I see the new Turbo . In fact i saw a Turbo S on the lot today with PDK , center lock wheels, ceramics, paddles, and a host of options .

I feel my EVT700 is better . It more highly tuned and yes I did chat about a project where the guys are taking a new Turbo and upgrading the Turbos , and converting the car to Gt street --but I already feel like I have my Turbo .

I don't have the Gt3 . Instead I have the 997S and it's a great car but there's a certain uniquness with the Gt3's . In fact a custimozed RS can be a one of a kind car . And no -- I don't track these cars . I don't even drive them that much but when I do i really enjoy them . Even when I am not driving them there's an artistic appreciation that i have for them . So i don't have to drive the car to enjoy it.

Yet -- when I weigh all the aspects . I hesitate . It's not the price because I purposely have left that part for last because I wanted to be sure on the car itself and whether or not this was the right time in my life for this car.

It isn't .. at least not now .. not with the cars I have .. the miles on them .. and what i would hope to acheive by having the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need opinions about a new car