997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I need opinions about a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
Larry,
Since you don't track your cars, it would seem the GT3/GT3RS is a seed planted in your head by Porsche marketing! Yes, it's a purists delight but that's for those who fling their cars around tracks with high g forces and speed.

You've already got two great cars. My suggestion is to hold on to them and with the next generation 911 imminent, hold your powder (money!) until they arrive. As with all past model upgrades they'll be some great performance gains and probably a cool interior courtesy of the Panamera.

If you must spend your money now, I'll offer 3 ideas; 1) you should send me a check 2) consider the TPC 775 Blitzkrieg which is short money compared to a new car or 3) as Utkinpol mentioned, buy the 997.2 turbo trading in one of your cars.

Good luck with your evaluation and don't overlook option #1!

Bob
I am going to wait. You are correct on the two cars and holding out.
I never did look at the marketing . Usually when a manufacturer advertizes a car they don't emphasize how rare and unique my car would be. Both my Turbo and 997s I have taken the time to customize it to my specific taste and I have this feeling that if I spec'd the new car and took it on as a project --there's a lot of joy to creating a special car.

Had I not been comitted to thse other cars .. the decision might have been easier but then again .. had I bought a Gt3 , maybe I's wonder about the Turbo but unlike celebrities , sports figures, or those who can afford it -- I am limited .

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am going to wait. You are correct on the two cars and holding out.
I never did look at the marketing . Usually when a manufacturer advertizes a car they don't emphasize how rare and unique my car would be. Both my Turbo and 997s I have taken the time to customize it to my specific taste and I have this feeling that if I spec'd the new car and took it on as a project --there's a lot of joy to creating a special car.

Had I not been comitted to thse other cars .. the decision might have been easier but then again .. had I bought a Gt3 , maybe I's wonder about the Turbo but unlike celebrities , sports figures, or those who can afford it -- I am limited .
Larry,

Sounds like you have made up your mind and your two currents cars are dream cars for most of us... You've customized the TT & C2S to your liking and if I was in your shoes, I would hold out for a little while for the newer 911 model on the horizon.

Last edited by JmanE55; 06-18-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Larry,

First let me say that as a noob I greatly value the input you give to this forum. I have learned a great deal from you and truely value your opinion.

Now, if you will let me, allow me to play Devil's advocate. You already have two great cars. Unless I missed it (entirely likely) I did not see which car you are planning to trade in (if either). That being the case, I respectfully suggest you take a step back to "cool off". If you truely must have a new 997, given all that I have garnered, I would suggest the GT3.

Good luck and God bless in what ever choice you make.

Gary

Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I want to thank everyone on this thread . What an interesting day it has been .
What a stir of emotion while pondering the choices at the dealership . Since I am not an impulsive buyer I like to proces my thoughts . I really enjoyed the balance of suggestions ... what a great forum .

Several have mentioned that so often I share advice and as most can read on this thread I know what it's like to want a car and then evaluate all the steps.

What this thread has offered me is such great insight by a group who also loves thse cars .

I realize that there wil be other Porsches on the horizon .
Once again .. thanks .
I greatly appreciated the ideas shared and the time that those took to express it.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I just caught this thread late in the game, but found that it covered the thought patterns many of us go through from time to time. I have found that if I'm having a lot of trouble making up my mind, then the time isn't right and I need to give myself more time. The good thing is that the cars are made every day, so it isn't like now is the only time you can make the decision. It is worse when I see a nice specimen of a 993TT, a car I've always lusted over. In that case, they aren't made every day, and some deals look too good to pass up. Then I eventually remind myself that I have a car I love, and that I don't need to own every car I lust after. I can't afford to either!
Glad to see you got such serious support, as you have provided so much to many of us over the years.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would do a GT3 in a heart beat! You need to ask yourself the question, is this really the car for you? Ask your local dealer if you can borrow one for the weekend and see if you like it.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
1 - An RS is a total waste and impractical car if you do not track it at least 60% of its usage.
2 - A GT3 should only be bought if you track it on a regular basis.
3 - The 997.2S is a great car and some say just as competitive as a 997.1 GT3

Given the above your decision should be easy.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I also just caught up on this thread and reading it has MY emotions spun around......great advice from all the members

Jim

Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Well -- I don't feel quite this way about my Turbo . I see the new Turbo . In fact i saw a Turbo S on the lot today with PDK , center lock wheels, ceramics, paddles, and a host of options .

I feel my EVT700 is better . It more highly tuned and yes I did chat about a project where the guys are taking a new Turbo and upgrading the Turbos , and converting the car to Gt street --but I already feel like I have my Turbo .

I don't have the Gt3 . Instead I have the 997S and it's a great car but there's a certain uniquness with the Gt3's . In fact a custimozed RS can be a one of a kind car . And no -- I don't track these cars . I don't even drive them that much but when I do i really enjoy them . Even when I am not driving them there's an artistic appreciation that i have for them . So i don't have to drive the car to enjoy it.

Yet -- when I weigh all the aspects . I hesitate . It's not the price because I purposely have left that part for last because I wanted to be sure on the car itself and whether or not this was the right time in my life for this car.

It isn't .. at least not now .. not with the cars I have .. the miles on them .. and what i would hope to acheive by having the car.
Larry, you treat your cars as a collector. There is nothing wrong with that, so if you want to increase your collection - get GT3 RS but keep C2S for street driving.

All GT3 RS cars I know travel on a street in a trailer. They sit very low. Suspension is very tight. Engine hours are costly and usually used wisely. It is a dedicated track car. If you are not into autosport and have no intention of doing it - add 2010 TT PDK to your collection, it is very good car and if you ever decide to do autosport you can keep modding your old turbo and enjoy new turbo on a street. You have no use for any GT3 car right now, you should be realistic about this.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Well --
A night of no sleep does wonders . Not too much to eat either. I did nap though.

I made two phone calls today . The first was along the lines of scratching ceramics from the regular Gt3 and dabbling in price placing what i feel is my price limit if swept off my feet. They don't have a car and wouild have to get my car appraised .

I tried another dealership just to see if they had a car (today) and
they had one available --based on the decription I think this is the car -- an RS. A lot of heavy comfort items . I looked at the photos ..I agree with Jellis on the "no graphics" This makes no sense for street use. http://champion.porschedealer.com/20...78193/info.php

What a beautiful car though. Geez .. if I was a track guy I would be all over these cars .

The more i think about it .. the more I keep my car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-19-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
That is a beautiful car and nicely equipped ie: just enough of the comfort items IMHO.

I remember your thread from several months ago when you wanted a GT 3 and here again rethinking the purchase.

My .02, no matter the rational, seems like you have the itch and I think you should scratch it.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Larry, please keep your TT (that you love) and the best iteration yet of the NA 911's...the 997.2. I also know that a level headed person like you will more often than not make the right decision. So even if you go ahead with the purchase there would be a damn good reason for that. I know.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Larry,

You already got all the right answers from the various members.

In short, if you don't track, you don't need GT3 or RS.

I prefer not to use my RS for regular street driving.

With the acceleration and handling of your modded TT, you are not missing anything from not having a GT3.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Lets say you bought the RS . Do you feel that you woild feel the same way tracking it after the both the expense as well as how rare the car is ?
An 08 997s is a lot easier to replace but with the RS to order it to ones likes it could very well be one of a kind.
Yes my car is easier to replace, but I still love it and take good care of it. If I had an RS I would love it even more but I would drive the **** out of it on the track as well. I would get the whole car clear bra'd and then take it to the tracks. It is my hobby to track. These cars can certainly take it, so why not?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Larry, please keep your TT (that you love) and the best iteration yet of the NA 911's...the 997.2. I also know that a level headed person like you will more often than not make the right decision. So even if you go ahead with the purchase there would be a damn good reason for that. I know.
I will never sell the Turbo . In fact I am even considering upping the Hp to the 780 package . It's currently at 700. It was the PDK car that was up for the good bye .

As many have said the RS really is over the top. It is available . I e mailed them and they sent me pictures . Beautiful car but not the right car for me. Not at this time.

The idea of the regular Gt3 seemed more civilized and basic but the RS really is the car of choice for the track person. On the street it calls out for attention and the idea of subjecting it to the roads with debris and average drivers along with parking lots filled with SUV's just seems too much of a waste.

Even in thse emotional moments I can differentiate between buying a car for fun purpose versus a whimsical waste of time and expense.

So in short --I feel exhausted . I feel like I bought them all but never spent a cent .

so.. the PDK car remains !!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need opinions about a new car