997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I need opinions about a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
it is basically dead weight if you're a track junkie...

Scraping that fron't lip spoiler can get expensive though .
Besides --Unless I spec the car myself I don't have a choice . I woild still get that option . I would not get PCM . I don't even want it in my 997S .

Most of these RS cars were custom ordered so there were guys who wanted these options.

If the car is in fact "sold" then I am faced with a choice of ordering a car . If I get to spec the car myself I will go over each item but would still get the axle lift .

Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Scraping that fron't lip spoiler can get expensive though .
Besides --Unless I spec the car myself I don't have a choice . I woild still get that option . I would not get PCM . I don't even want it in my 997S .

Most of these RS cars were custom ordered so there were guys who wanted these options.

If the car is in fact "sold" then I am faced with a choice of ordering a car . If I get to spec the car myself I will go over each item but would still get the axle lift .
To each is own my friend; that is why I said "for a track junkie" Most people who buy RS keep it in the garage as a collectors item.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
To each is own my friend; that is why I said "for a track junkie" Most people who buy RS keep it in the garage as a collectors item.
Even if one drives it to the track he can scrape the lip on the slightest incline . Plus South Florida is relatively flat . There are parts of the country with mountains and steep inclines . Not getting the axle lift places limitations on the car and even to a track junke -- a damaged car off the track --is less time on the track while its in the shop facing repairs.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
It could scrape, but if you are careful enough it is drivable. I certainly can drive it on the street. Also what needs to be "repaired" is only the front lip needs to be replaced which only takes about 10 minutes to do it.

I also am not sure if the axle lift is height adjustable like the normal suspension

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Everyone I know who own an RS track them heavily. Many trailer them to the track. That's what the car is for.

Re scraping... scraping occurs because drivers are not careful. A lift cannot be used on the open road at speed, only at low speed. These cars should not be driven for shopping, to the restaurant, etc. Remember - 'Racing. Not posing'.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Everyone I know who own an RS track them heavily. Many trailer them to the track. That's what the car is for.

Re scraping... scraping occurs because drivers are not careful. A lift cannot be used on the open road at speed, only at low speed. These cars should not be driven for shopping, to the restaurant, etc. Remember - 'Racing. Not posing'.
I agree with you, they should be tracked for sure! But unfortunately a lot of people don't... Makes me feel sad

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 AM

There's many days that I don't drive my cars . I don't take them shopping or a resturant. That's why I have the M3 and the Honda.

Everyone enjoys his things in his own personal way . I don't judge the person who spends all weekend at the track . If he's happy then I am happy for him.

Part of being confident and secure is also being able to appreciate things based on one's own personal expectations rather than what someone else views is how he ought to appeciate it .

For me --just the thought of buying the car is exciting . If the deal fell through then I have had more fun today just having these thoughts.

If I buy the car then that whole pricess is exciting .

Then there's simply having the car . That's exciting .

I appreciate these details which maybe someone else might feel are insignificant. Again .. I don't judge him . If his way of enjoying the RS is to buy it and run to the track and stomp on it nonstop for a two week vacation --that's great -for him. Not me.

I haven't yet figured out every aspect of the car as i am stil in the looked at, liked it , hope to buy it" phase of this "adventure" .

Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There's many days that I don't drive my cars . I don't take them shopping or a resturant. That's why I have the M3 and the Honda.

Everyone enjoys his things in his own personal way . I don't judge the person who spends all weekend at the track . If he's happy then I am happy for him.

Part of being confident and secure is also being able to appreciate things based on one's own personal expectations rather than what someone else views is how he ought to appeciate it .

For me --just the thought of buying the car is exciting . If the deal fell through then I have had more fun today just having these thoughts.

If I buy the car then that whole pricess is exciting .

Then there's simply having the car . That's exciting .

I appreciate these details which maybe someone else might feel are insignificant. Again .. I don't judge him . If his way of enjoying the RS is to buy it and run to the track and stomp on it nonstop for a two week vacation --that's great -for him. Not me.

I haven't yet figured out every aspect of the car as i am stil in the looked at, liked it , hope to buy it" phase of this "adventure" .
I have no issue with your position. I do not drive my car as a DD either.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I have no issue with your position. I do not drive my car as a DD either.
Even in my own thought I do weigh all the points and have second thoughts. I may very well end up on the same page as you with this but it is an internal pricess to work through the steps of logic and pit them against the emotion -- https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-thoughts.html