997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I need opinions about a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I need opinions about a new car

I usually give opinions but this time I am confused . Before I even ask .. my DSL line is out so if someone posts a video or photo I may not be able to view it until Monday as i am using slow modem .

As most know I bought my 997S last year . It has 4800 miles and is impeccable . I have the full FVD setup , damptronics, paddles .etc ... all the bells and whistles.

YET --I still ponder the Gt3 . Why oh why ???????

So today i went to the dealership . Ugh .
After drooling over the Panmera Turbo (what a car --but not for me) . I kicked out the idea of the Gt3 . I can order one (2011). I can also order an RS . I don't have to order anything . In short I have choices and since I am in doubt I left somewhat dazed in thought and now I am here.

Part of me feel that a regular Gt3 over an RS would be the the car . That was until I got an opinion from the guy who did all the work on my car. He loves both but told me that if I can get an RS it is a car to keep .

I am so confused. I always felt that the regular Gt3 has more versatility of street and track. I am leaning towards that or simply doing nothing because my view usually is that when in doubt don't buy any car.

I specd a car to just to get an idea . A Gt3 with ceramics , nose lift, leather seats, engine mounts, sound package no PCM. sport chono. ipod, bluetooth in white (standard color) = 133k. This was just a rough starting point. Part of me thinks Mexico Blue ... sigh.

Opinions ????

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-18-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Larry you just gotta do a GT3. Gotta.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Larry you just gotta do a GT3. Gotta.
A regular one or an RS ? Can I even drive an RS on the roads?
Is the regular Gt3 the compromise?

Ugh ... Why do i keep going in circles with this ?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Wow, Larry is asking for new car advice...! Well, since you have helped so many people out with deciding about a new car (myself included), I will just really serve as a sounding board (because I know deep inside you know the answers)

1. Purpose of car: so is the GT3 going to be a DD/street or a track car? Or do you have DD/street covered with your TT (you still have that, right)?
2. If you do know you want more of a pure track car, then test drive (if you can) the RS and the GT3 and forget about any whims that have to do with creature comforts and street driving. Look at it from a perspective of a tool for a specific purpose (albeit a very nice expensive one at that).
3. If you actually think you might be using the new car for street driving, think hard about how often you're going to be wanting to stomp on that GT3/RS clutch (I can't say much more because I just sat in one at the dealer and didn't drive it around - but that clutch sure felt a lot heavier than the standard one). And think about just how much more bare bones the RS is - IMHO, I can't imagine driving something like an RS around town. I need my creature comforts.
4. As you have said many times before, car purchase is not a purely money driven decision. If you know what you want, and you need to pay more, pay the extra and get what you want.

I hope that helped...

Last edited by Scoper; 06-18-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Larry,

Since I doubt you plan to ever track your GT3 or GT3RS I will put it this way.

On the street the GT3 will probably feel a little faster than your 997S but not by much since your 3.8L DFI engine actually has a very nice Torque curve.

In terms of the RS over the standard GT3....From what I have heard, you basically would have to drive the RS at 9/10's all the time or be an accomplished track driver to really extract the performance benefits the car has over the standard GT3.

Now, if it is about buying a car that will one day be a collectable, the RS is the way to go.

Personally, if I was shopping for a GT3/RS, I would probably end up purchasing a GT3 and put the money I saved into some well spent modifications that would bring the car up to RS standards. That being said, an RS in white with no graphics would be sex on wheels.

Jason

Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
A regular one or an RS ? Can I even drive an RS on the roads?
Is the regular Gt3 the compromise?

Ugh ... Why do i keep going in circles with this ?
Because you keep on coming back to the GT3 motor.. it's a peach... It really is. I prefer it in RS form only because of the light weight flywheel (which you can install later anyways). I don't find it at all uncomfortable to be honest and you've done a lot of suspension work to your turbo already so I doubt you'd find it rough. The clutch takes some more force/feel but I like that. The steering is great and you feel that too. The car has plenty of feedback... I'd say PM Snowboarder54 as he has more miles on one than anyone I know

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Scoper
Wow, Larry is asking for new car advice...! Well, since you have helped so many people out with deciding about a new car (myself included), I will just really serve as a sounding board (because I know deep inside you know the answers)

1. Purpose of car: so is the GT3 going to be a DD/street or a track car? Or do you have DD/street covered with your TT (you still have that, right)?
2. If you do know you want more of a pure track car, then test drive (if you can) the RS and the GT3 and forget about any whims that have to do with creature comforts and street driving. Look at it from a perspective of a tool for a specific purpose (albeit a very nice expensive one at that).
3. If you actually think you might be using the new car for street driving, think hard about how often you're going to be wanting to stomp on that GT3/RS clutch (I can't say much more because I just sat in one at the dealer and didn't drive it around - but that clutch sure felt a lot heavier than the standard one). And think about just how much more bare bones the RS is - IMHO, I can't imagine driving something like an RS around town. I need my creature comforts.
4. As you have said many times before, car purchase is not a purely money driven decision. If you know what you want, and you need to pay more, pay the extra and get what you want.

I hope that helped...

This is helping --
1) It would be somewhat of a DD . Technically the PDK car is actually the best for that yet there's something missing . It's like it's a car that really wants to be a Gt3 but it isn't.

2) I probably won't track the car. That's what points to the regular Gt3.

3) Clutch --My Turbo has no power assist in the clutch (gt2 conversion with my Evt700) . It's about ten times harder than the Gt3 . I like it actually.

4) Finanacially none of thse cars make sense . I have not yet discussed the expense , the trade in, or the discount. The final price would have to be somewhat reasonable . I am not expecting a bargain --but not ready to overpay either.
Having two Porsches already .. I feel that even if i say no to the deal .. I am not really losing anything. In fact I'd be saving money and that's never a bad thing.

The only "comfort" thing that I am opting out of is the sport bucket seats . I can fit in them well (5'9 " 155 lbs) just don't know if I want to climb in and out regularly and I am getting older.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
YET --I still ponder the Gt3 . Why oh why ???????

Opinions ????
1. You are crazy.
2. GEt 2010 TT with PDK. It will serve you better than GT3.
3. If you will decide on GT3 - get GT3 RS as if you`ll get 'base' GT3 than you`ll be tormented over RS.

IMHO this is a car you are ready for:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-ad-price.html
You got money for it so just get something like this and start driving it as it deserves it.

Last edited by utkinpol; 06-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Larry, you already have a built C2S and a Turbo. They are both beautiful cars. I do not believe that you need a GT3. You do not track your cars. You will not be able to enjoy the upsides of a GT3 over a C2S on the streets...

I would suggest adding an Aerokit to the car and keep it... I didn't want to have a regular C2S and adding the Aerokit to my car made a huge difference in the way I look at it.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
1. You are crazy.
2. GEt 2010 TT with PDK. It will serve you better than GT3.
3. If you will decide on GT3 - get GT3 RS as if you`ll get 'base' GT3 than you`ll be tormented over RS.

IMHO this is a car you are ready for:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-ad-price.html
You got money for it so just get something like this and start driving it as it deserves it.
I can't view the link on slow modem .
Number 3 ... I do consider this too.

Jellis mentioned white with no graphics ... that's exactly where I was !!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM
So now I am back to square 1 .

If the RS really has it all yet is not very pratical , plus it won't fit in my garage which already is tight .... it makes it so confusing .

This is exatly why I haven't bought anything and keep walking away from the gt3 . every time. i get close to the idea this logic creeps in and ruins it .

My first thought about the Rs was that it's just too over the top for the road .

Just so you guys know --
If I end up buying the car .. I will post about it.
If i end up not buying the car .. at least the decision is made with clarity and the suggestions and opinions on this thread have been very helpful.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I can't view the link on slow modem .
Number 3 ... I do consider this too.

Jellis mentioned white with no graphics ... that's exactly where I was !!!!
Yep, white with no graphics! Basically a street legal Cup car! SEX!

Jason

Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Yep, white with no graphics! Basically a street legal Cup car! SEX!

Jason
Yep .. standard color , raw but understated , it's true hard core Porsche .

Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
The grass is always greener... Done throw $$$$$$ away, you already have a great car.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
How about this, sell both the Turbo and the C2S and get the new GT2 RS! It has the Turbo power which you don't want to lose and it has great handling!

Otherwise you certainly will lose a lot of money on the C2S, and will not get a chance to appreciate all the advantages of a GT3 or RS...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need opinions about a new car