997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 c2s manual vs. 997.2c4s PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by major c2s
It felt more planted in the corners and allowed for a quicker turn-in than my C2S. It could be just me but this was my first impression. It also felt like it had more power everywhere and that it was easier to apply this power to the road.

The C4S suspension is improved but the C2S also has improvents . The .2 car is faster so any of them will feel faster than the .1.
The sport bucket seats really depends on your personal comfort zone, body type, age, and even the passengers you take. Elderly people , heavy people , even people with mobility trouble will not find it easy getting in and out. On a long drive it can get uncomfortable . It has no heated seats and in Philly it gets cold.

Also there aren't many C4S with sport bucket and the ones which are quite often were the meteor launch cars . There were a tin on them made . So many that you better be getting an off the chart amazing deal on the car --if it's the Meteor car.

Manual to PDK --
Tough choice . Both are great for different reasons . PDK is faster , more efficient , better for street, better for track .

BUT -- there is a certain traditional driver engagement with the manual and the porsche gearbox is so well built.

It's also not acheap option (neither are the seats, or the AWD) .

Why not just get a NEW car , a .2, a manual ? Save money but not get a used car and shave off AWD and PDK to hedge cost.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for your response. How do I know if this is a Meteor launch car? And what would be the approprite discount if it is? Is there anything wrong with launch cars or it is just too many of them were made? Thanks again!

Greg

Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
casaforte9 is infamous around these parts
Auto car felt that sport pasm ( PASM ) was too rough riding and the launch cars( 09 c4s meteor gray pdk cars ) have SPASM , ful leather , sport chrono, sport buckets etc

IMO SPASM is rougher for streets and PASM which is std. in S models is compliant enough for streets

As larry indicated, sport buckets do not have heated seats and that is a nice options in the north east to have. Adaptives are very comfy and still hold you in place, not as much as sport buckets but are more functional due to various adjustments and availability of heat in them

6 speed vs PDK: many feel pdk is one of the best dual clutch systems and it is very smooth, faster but still sporty with a firm shift feel but there many folks who still like the 6 speed due to more involvment from the car derived thru heel toe, performing perfect shifts, manual blipping etc.

rwd vs awD: both are good , rwd is nimbler, can go sideways more than awd car where as awd has superior traction around corners ( can rwd go as fast as awd, i am sure it can in skilled hands except in rain probably)

Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Thank you for your response. How do I know if this is a Meteor launch car? And what would be the approprite discount if it is? Is there anything wrong with launch cars or it is just too many of them were made? Thanks again!

Greg

There should be a huge discount if it is a meteor launch car. It came with sport bucket seats , in meteor, with pdk . Each dealerrship was given FOUR of them which means production numbers were so high of that same car. Even a year after they were launched dealerships still had them on their lots and they were harder to sell.

Several forum members got the car . Here is anold thread and it lists the exact options. If your car has these exact specs --it's likely a launch . https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-delivery.html

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Exactly these specs. Does it mean that this car will depreciate faster? What would be a good discount off MSRP? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
It felt more planted in the corners and allowed for a quicker turn-in than my C2S. It could be just me but this was my first impression. It also felt like it had more power everywhere and that it was easier to apply this power to the road.
Feeling more planted detracts from a g-kart feeling... that's why I raised the question.

In the 996 series there was a significant difference in stability between the C2 and the C4 (I had a C4). When the 997.1 came out the 997.1 C2 was as planted as a 996 C4. The 997.2 more so. My 997.2S is neutral stable and I drive it in very demanding twisty mountain roads - with high lateral g-loads.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly these specs. Does it mean that this car will depreciate faster? What would be a good discount off MSRP? Thanks!
that's a very nice build. i have no thoughts on pricing, but if you like those seats, you'll love them. if not, you'll tire of them can sell them for a pretty penny.

the PASM sport makes it more stiffly sprung, and has LSD.

i doubt the fact that it's a launch car will make it depreciate any faster than another, but i would also caution you, IMHO, in trying to make a new purchase like this and overweighting depreciation. regardless of the build spec, it'll depreciate and there are many, many other factors that have a larger impact than the build.

if i were a mind reader, i'd say you love this car and want to be sure there aren't any pitfalls that you missed.

i think it's a wonderful build.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
I really appreciate your feedback, guys. For whatever reason this car is striking nice balance with me. I've driven much faster cars on the track (997.1 turbo, 996 turbo s, F430, Gallardo, etc.) but this C4S feels just right on the street, and, probably, will feel great on the track as well. I am getting close to pulling the trigger...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM
I really appreciate your feedback, guys. For whatever reason this car is striking nice balance with me. I've driven much faster cars on the track (997.1 turbo, 996 turbo s, F430, Gallardo, etc.) but this C4S feels just right on the street, and, probably, will feel great on the track as well. I am getting close to pulling the trigger...
Check out this video of the C4S with an FVD exhaust at the track.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...installed.html

Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Talking

Well, I did it! Picked it up yesterday, 09 launch C4S in Meteor Gray with 127 miles on it. What really surprised me that it came with full factory warranty. Drove it home 110 miles and, frankly, really loved the seats: they felt better than my 997.1 sports. Also, the car seemed to be a lot smoother on the interstate but somewhat choppy on Rt.3 from light to light. Anyway, so far I am very happy with my move, hope it'll stay that way. I really appreciate your comments and advice. Thanks, guys!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
I love my PDK. Go from shifting at the wheel to the shifting the stick up and down....so much fun....if it wasn't for the wife I'd sleep in the darn thing.