997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 c2s manual vs. 997.2c4s PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
997.1 c2s manual vs. 997.2c4s PDK

Need opinions on transitioning from c2s to c4s with PDK. Is it a good move? Is 997.2 c4s significantly faster? Any comments on pros and cons will be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The C4S will weigh more and handle differently . The track numbers are rather close yet the C2S is a lot more fun to drive . Philadelphia does have some snow and in that type of weather the 4S is the ideal car but I feel if one is opting for AWD he may as well go all the way and get the Turbo .

The Turbo PDK .. is not so far in price from the C4S and that car has it all . The PDK will maintain boost going into shifts , it will have the AWD , can run the track , can drive the street . It's "the one" .

Old 06-19-2010, 11:33 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
almost 2 questions - going to a PDK and going to C4S.

i bought a C2S with PDK in 997.2 and love it. lots of opinions here. if i lived in phili, i'd probably have a C4S and a set of winter tires, but IMHO, the tires for snow use are the most important factor unless you're really spending a ton of time in the snow.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Snow isn't really much of a concern, I have another vehicle with a separate set of snow wheels and tires. Cold weather handling is another story: will C4S be better for cold dry roads (with OEM tires)? And in general, is going from C2S to C4S a step up or more like a lateral move? Remember, my C2S is 997.1, the C4S I am considering is 997.2. And yeah, the turbo. Not right now I am afraid, little too much of a stretch.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by major c2s
Snow isn't really much of a concern, I have another vehicle with a separate set of snow wheels and tires. Cold weather handling is another story: will C4S be better for cold dry roads (with OEM tires)? And in general, is going from C2S to C4S a step up or more like a lateral move? Remember, my C2S is 997.1, the C4S I am considering is 997.2. And yeah, the turbo. Not right now I am afraid, little too much of a stretch.
I have driven all the cars and have a Turbo and c2S . The C4S will not give the same light nimble control in tight corners . Even though lap times are close the actual driving is more fun with the C2S . In fact the track cars with normally aspirated platform are not AWD (gt3 and gt3RS) . That is because rear wheel drive is more effective for that type of driving . Most buy the C4S because they either :a) live in snow or heavy rain regions or b) like the widebody look . If you lived in Colorado or Seattle I woiuld probably say get a 4S . If you love the widebody .. get a 4S . But if you want the next step up .. you will have it and save money on the C2S . What is imperative on both cars if you get the PDK is the sport chrono . Also the axle lock option is standard on the 4S but can be ordered on the C2S but it ought not be a detterent as most C2S cars do not have it .

Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 AM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
Ditto regarding the C2S being more fun than the C4S. However, it's ultimately up to you to determine that via a test drive. See if your sales guy will allow you an extended test drive. If not, find someone who will. The great thing is if you're looking to get into a used car, the price difference wouldn't be much.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Of most important note here is the fact that he is comparing a 997.1 c2s to a 997.2c4s PDK. Most of you already know but I will repeat. There is a major difference between the two. PDK and .2 will make a major difference. The C4S is incredibly fast and with PDK and all wheel drive it is a very simple way to go fast and hook it all up to the road. I had that car and I miss it all the time. Totally awesome. No doubt a c2s, especially a .2 with pdk or manual would be fun too, having the ability to slip the rear a bit, and lighter more nimble with no drive to the front, but you can really put the power down with the C4S and not worry about it. Just some of my thoughts.
D

Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Also, I believe it was CAR magazine, I will have to check that did a nice writeup about the comparison between .2 4s and s. Basically saying the same things.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 AM
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...4s_review.html

hope this works...this was a snapshot, but the article was nice.
I will keep looking.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks, guys for your comments. I have to tell you that I currently drive 997.1 c2s manual and I did a test drive in 997.2 c4s with PDK. That c4s was a lot of fun to scoot around in, felt very planted and I also thought that it was faster. It had sport chrono and sport seats ( the ones with carbon fiber backs, could anyone who has these seats comment how they are to live with on the day to day basis, please?). What I am not sure about is how nuch of a true P-car the c4s is. My current car is very lightly optioned (no nav, no sport chrono, etc.) but that manual leaves no doubt that this is a true Porsche. I had four Porsches before this one and all of them were manual. I guess my biggest concern is if I am going to regret having PDK or the great go-kart handling of c4s will be enough to compensate for not having manual. Also, more than anything I hate getting stuck with my c2s in traffic. On my test drive of the c4s I actually got stuck in the construction zone and crawled for 2 miles and that wasn't bad at all. Decisions, decisions...

Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, guys for your comments. I have to tell you that I currently drive 997.1 c2s manual and I did a test drive in 997.2 c4s with PDK. That c4s was a lot of fun to scoot around in, felt very planted and I also thought that it was faster. It had sport chrono and sport seats ( the ones with carbon fiber backs, could anyone who has these seats comment how they are to live with on the day to day basis, please?). What I am not sure about is how nuch of a true P-car the c4s is. My current car is very lightly optioned (no nav, no sport chrono, etc.) but that manual leaves no doubt that this is a true Porsche. I had four Porsches before this one and all of them were manual. I guess my biggest concern is if I am going to regret having PDK or the great go-kart handling of c4s will be enough to compensate for not having manual. Also, more than anything I hate getting stuck with my c2s in traffic. On my test drive of the c4s I actually got stuck in the construction zone and crawled for 2 miles and that wasn't bad at all. Decisions, decisions...
on this point, you're crazy! it's a true porsche in every aspect.

seek input here, but get what you want

Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Need opinions on transitioning from c2s to c4s with PDK. Is it a good move? Is 997.2 c4s significantly faster? Any comments on pros and cons will be appreciated.

I have read through all this and here's what I wonder:

1 - why looking a C4S? Why not .2 C2S? Why mixing PDK and AWD in same decision?

2 - I have never gotten the "in traffic" issues with an MT car. I drove MTs 30 years and never thought - "oh boy, traffic - hate it" - at least not because of the transmission, but just because I hate being stuck in traffic. The only thing that ever took some of the sting out of it was having a convertible and just chilling to the open air. That helps a little.

3 - "if I am going to regret having PDK or the great go-kart handling of c4s will be enough to compensate" - hard core MT zealots hate PDK. You really need to know if you like new tech and toys or you will probably miss the 6spd - even I do occasionally miss it. PDK can shift better than I, but so can Ritchie Blackmore play guitar better than I can, and while fun to listen to him, fun also for me to play too - even if not as good.

Also go cart handling - is that a C4S or a C2S? Seems that most prefer 2WD for sporty handling. So you could end up hating life with a PDK/C4S after a while.

My gut says some specific car has gotten your eye - and you are trying to rationalize it. Even though it sounds like it may not really be "your" car. If you were ordering a new car and could have it any way, what would you get?

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Your gut is right. The car I am looking at has AWD and PDK. I liked the wider rear end, more options, and great traction. Not so sure about PDK and, especially, great looking but very highly bolstered sports seats. Also, the C4S seemed to be faster in the twisties than my C2S. As for driving MT in traffic, I've been doing it for 25 years and never learned to like it.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
... my biggest concern is if I am going to regret having PDK or the great go-kart handling of c4s will be enough to compensate for not having manual. ...
Why is a C4S more go-kart like? The C2 certainly is more go-kart than the C4 - at least the go-karts I know.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM
It felt more planted in the corners and allowed for a quicker turn-in than my C2S. It could be just me but this was my first impression. It also felt like it had more power everywhere and that it was easier to apply this power to the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 c2s manual vs. 997.2c4s PDK