997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The track, where it belongs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Jason,

I swore no mods, but I have already ordered wheels, springs and a tint job.... im diseased.. please help!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I've been driving on the track for 10 years. DEs from PCA, BMWCCA, etc. I did a few years of PCA club racing. I smashed up my street/track 911 about 8 years ago at Watkins Glen. $17k damage - I paid for the repairs out of my pocket - no insurance. I have a dedicated track car now, a 944. I instruct for both PCA and BMWCCA DEs. I've seen all kinds of stuff on the track - a Rabbit wagon (El Camino style) that rips it up at Road Atlanta, a Ford Excursion, Crown Vics, etc. I've been on track with a 962 and other awesome cars. I've met all kinds of drivers.

With that said, my attitude is - different strokes for different folks. I try not to tell people what to do unless they ask my opinion. I feel that learning to drive on the track is like learning to drive all over again. I think that the skills you learn on the track (hard braking, spin avoidance, etc) can be useful on the street. I think anyone could take almost any car (the Excursion was a hazard and I complained) onto the track for a DE weekend or two. As I said earlier - driving on the track is tons of fun! It can be a great couple event as well - my wife and I did many events together early on. They don't usually get dangerous until the driver is more experienced. Several 'track' mods are also beneficial on the street, and sometimes the reverse is true. to each his own. /IMHO

Not sure if that adds anything to the conversation - sorry if it's just wasted space -

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
"I personally appreciate my 997 when its on the track and I appreciate my tdi golf on the street. Do many agree with what I did to my 997S. NO... but then again its my car and I dont care what they think.... "

Mobonic, I think what you did to your car is great... if I could afford it, I would have a dedicated track car as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Now i see a young guy like Sin911 --he has a chance at this. He started young and if he goes all the time he'll probably be real good if he sticks with it.

I didn't get my first Porsche 911 until I was 35 and even though i liked fast cars I was never drawn to auto racing as some type of major event. But it sounds that this is something that you really like . Woild you actually drive as a profession?
Thanks for the support Larry!

I certainly would love to drive as a profession!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PTParks
I think all of the models you mentioned fit in both worlds, however the dividing line for each model is a little different. I would doubt that any of them have a perfect 50/50 balance between daily driving and track use. Each is built by Porsche to fulfill a primary role with the ability to do double duty in a secondary role (which I think is great!). A Carrera S is an absolutely fine road car with the ability to do a stint or two on the track and turn in a respectable performance. A GT3 is an excellent track car that can provide an acceptable level of comfort and driveability on the road.

Frankly, IMHO none of the Porsche sports cars look out of place in either setting.
^^I 100% agree with this comment. I appreciate and respect all drivers and enthusiasts out there that use their car as their daily driver (such as myself) as well as taking it to the track, autox, and hillclimbs. And I have just as much appreciation and respect for those that only choose to drive theirs on the track and not for daily use. Kudos to anyone that loves and enjoys their Porsche. To me, it's all about sharing the love and passion about these cars with other like minded enthusiasts whether it's a GT3, Boxster, C2, 914, etc. And if anyone is interested in any of the activities that I do with my car and they are new and want to get started, I'm all ears and more than happy to share my experiences and direct them towards some good people with expertise.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jack667
I've been driving on the track for 10 years. DEs from PCA, BMWCCA, etc. I did a few years of PCA club racing. I smashed up my street/track 911 about 8 years ago at Watkins Glen. $17k damage - I paid for the repairs out of my pocket - no insurance. I have a dedicated track car now, a 944. I instruct for both PCA and BMWCCA DEs. I've seen all kinds of stuff on the track - a Rabbit wagon (El Camino style) that rips it up at Road Atlanta, a Ford Excursion, Crown Vics, etc. I've been on track with a 962 and other awesome cars. I've met all kinds of drivers.

With that said, my attitude is - different strokes for different folks. I try not to tell people what to do unless they ask my opinion. I feel that learning to drive on the track is like learning to drive all over again. I think that the skills you learn on the track (hard braking, spin avoidance, etc) can be useful on the street. I think anyone could take almost any car (the Excursion was a hazard and I complained) onto the track for a DE weekend or two. As I said earlier - driving on the track is tons of fun! It can be a great couple event as well - my wife and I did many events together early on. They don't usually get dangerous until the driver is more experienced. Several 'track' mods are also beneficial on the street, and sometimes the reverse is true. to each his own. /IMHO

Not sure if that adds anything to the conversation - sorry if it's just wasted space -
Correct IMHO. All Porsches are great on the track and on the road. There are many different kinds of roads so some models are better suited depending on where you live, the kind of driving you enjoy, and where you tend to use the car the most. While a GT3 is not the best for commuting in the city, it is one of the best for a jaunt along the Ca coast or in the Sierras where I live.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
interesting thread
my 2 cents
track is tons of fun and not unsafe and it's the only ( legal ) way to really see what the car is capable of...but it's not for everyone...

Last edited by carbonissimo; 06-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Interestingly, the owners manual of the base 911 mentions taking the car to club events. Clearly Porsche anticipates and accepts the fact that folks are going to take their cars to track events.