997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does one start the track ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
howardnew is infamous around these parts
The real deal on these event is just HAVE FUN. I just started to get into DE last year. I owned a 993 4S. Must admit my first event was fun though very intimidating. I first ran at Lime Rock Park. The course had multiple elevation changes and blind corners. It was my first event and my instructor was not the best. He showed me "the line" but did little on instructing about balancing the car and handling techniques. The blind corners and elevation changes made it difficult for a first-timer to really explore the car's limits. The instructor did little to encourage that as well.

My second event last season was at Pocono Raceway. What a difference. The infield track was wide open and you could see absolutely everything. I new that even if I began to over or under-steer there would be nothing to crash into . This immediately gave me more confidence to begin to truly explore the limits of the car and handling. My instructor was also far more informative on providing information about proper inputs into the car (ie push here, carry more momentum here, don't go in too hot here, you can take this turn much faster here, etc). As I completed more events my confidence and skills grew. You start to learn how to feel the car and its balance rather than just being told. As became more addicted to the DE events I felt the 997 was just not enough power and wanted more. I started DE events this year with a 2010 GT3. Its not just the straights where you will enjoy its power. It's absolutely fantastic to have the full response of the throttle when powering through a turn. Yes, you will enjoy the DE events with ANY Porsche you drive, but having this car on the track is just something else.

IMO find a track that has fewer turns and fewer elevation changes for your first event. Bring all the items mentioned in the other previous posts. Speed Secrets is a must read (very quick as well) before going to the track to give you a basic understanding of the dynamics and balance of the car and cornering. There is usually a classroom session at the beginning of any beginner event you will attend. Having a basic understanding with this book will make more sense of the classroom session particularly with some of the terminology they will use.

Regarding other posts and drivers. I have never had a problem with another driver on the track. Everyone wants to take away the most they can from the experience even if it is at different speeds. Be aware who is around you and have your instructor keep a watch for cars wanting to pass as well. Keeping cars moving makes everyones experience on the track more enjoyable.

Even if you don't become addicted to the track, as many of us have, you will at least be able to enjoy experiencing the limits of your car in a safe manner without constantly looking over your shoulder for a cop....ENJOY

Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I spoke with the technicians about the basic (inspection,pads, fluids, clear bra, etc) .
The service advisor who knows me for 20 years and well as my Gf both asked the same question to me .
(something like this)
"Larry -you love having your cars in absolute pristine condition . Are you ready to put it through the paces and speed up its aging process ?"

I do realize that tracking the way some enjoy experiencing the car-- but it also comes with a cost .. not just financial .. but when I see see my car with wear and tear .. it bothers me . That's something that not replaceable .. even if I buy a new car.

I have driven these cars in the past as DD and that's what led to my decision to preserve them.

I think I am ready though . the white PDK car would be the track car.
As for the Turbo .. I don't feel a 1 mile event gives the car much wear and tear. It's basically a 1 mile sprint for time. They hold a lot of them in Florida that i see in the Florida section and the mosdt famous of course is in Texas (Texas Mile) .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
"Larry -you love having your cars in absolute pristine condition . Are you ready to put it through the paces and speed up its aging process ?"

I do realize that it is the way some love to experience the car but it also comes with a cost .. not just financial .. but when I see see my car with wear and tear .. it bothers me . That's something that not replaceable .. even if I buy a new car.

I have driven these cars in the past as DD and that's what led to my decision to preserve them.

I think I am ready though . the white PDK car would be the track car.
As for the Turbo ..
Do it in your pdk car, do not mod it, decide if you love doing track events or not.
considering your flexibility with budget you can get a dedicated car for this sport later if you find it to be worth it and let your new show vehicles in pristine condition.
plus not necessarily it must be a porsche car to be used as a track toy.
spec miata, low end lotus there are plenty of alternatives to a brand new P car for track. and my opinion still stays that if you do want to run a 997 car on a track you will need to put gt3 suspension into it or just get a gt3 car to begin with, 996 or 997. or do it 'el cheapo' way how I do it - a base 997 C2 with rebuilt gt3 suspension and eventually rebuilt engine.

Last edited by utkinpol; 06-24-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Do it in your pdk car, do not mod it, decide if you love doing track events or not.
considering your flexibility with budget you can get a dedicated car for this sport later if you find it to be worth it and let your new show vehicles in pristine condition.
plus not necessarily it must be a porsche car to be used as a track toy.
spec miata, low end lotus there are plenty of alternatives to a brand new P car for track. and my opinion still stays that if you do want to run a 997 car on a track you will need to put gt3 suspension into it or just get a gt3 car to begin with, 996 or 997. or do it 'el cheapo' way how I do it - a base 997 C2 with rebuilt gt3 suspension and eventually rebuilt engine.
I already have 17K worth of mods on the PDK car --most were performance (FVD exhaust --including cats , Software , coil overs , champion paddles ).

Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Wow...what a topic! Larry I've never seen so much thought put into going to a DE.

as the saying goes....Just Do It

Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
and my opinion still stays that if you do want to run a 997 car on a track you will need to put gt3 suspension into it or just get a gt3 car to begin with, 996 or 997. or do it 'el cheapo' way how I do it - a base 997 C2 with rebuilt gt3 suspension and eventually rebuilt engine.
I have to disagree with you on this statement. The matter of fact is, until you reach a GT3 you will spend more money than if you were to go and simply buy a used GT3.

You need to upgrade the suspension, brakes, engine, LSD. The aerokit is not necessary, just a preference. It simply would cost too much. Buying a GT3 would be easier and more cost effective. You will also get your money back on a GT3, you will not get what you paid for mods.

I did this mistake, I spent a fortune on my car. Now it's too late to back off and purchase a GT3. So I will keep it.

If I was to do it again I simply would have bought a GT3 from the beginning.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
I have to disagree with you on this statement. The matter of fact is, until you reach a GT3 you will spend more money than if you were to go and simply buy a used GT3.

You need to upgrade the suspension, brakes, engine, LSD. The aerokit is not necessary, just a preference. It simply would cost too much. Buying a GT3 would be easier and more cost effective. You will also get your money back on a GT3, you will not get what you paid for mods.

I did this mistake, I spent a fortune on my car. Now it's too late to back off and purchase a GT3. So I will keep it.

Did you add this ?

I agree with you BTW . Modding the car is expensive . I originally wanted the Gt3 just for the street but the deals were so good back in 09 and I was curious about PDK.
I think PDK will outshift the manual any day of the week . I dislike auto mode though .
I just liked the raw edgy pureness of the Gt3 . I still do .
I also think it's the car for you to get --even still .
The values on your car are high . With all the work you have on it plus the current used market in Florida I believe you can get 70K for your car (maybe more) . You also coild part it out but that's a headache.
There's a black used Gt3 with no options asking 114 locally and another Yellow for 119 with CPO. The black car has only 300 miles or so.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Wow...what a topic! Larry I've never seen so much thought put into going to a DE.

I put this much thought taking it to the supermarket.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you add this ?

I agree with you BTW . Modding the car is expensive . I originally wanted the Gt3 just for the street but the deals were so good back in 09 and I was curious about PDK.
I think PDK will outshift the manual any day of the week . I dislike auto mode though .
I just liked the raw edgy pureness of the Gt3 . I still do .
I also think it's the car for you to get --even still .
The values on your car are high . With all the work you have on it plus the current used market in Florida I believe you can get 70K for your car (maybe more) . You also coild part it out but that's a headache.
There's a black used Gt3 with no options asking 114 locally and another Yellow for 119 with CPO. The black car has only 300 miles or so.
I do not believe I can get $70k... If I was to get that much I would have to put another $15k to even get a Gen I GT3...

The thing is I have modded the car so much that selling it would be pointless. Because a GT3 can not grip much better than my car in the turns. I have a lot done to the suspension. Also I do not feel like my car is lacking power with the full exhaust system and ECU tune.

I am however lacking LSD, better brakes, r-compound tires, buckets & harness. Most of which will be added towards the fall

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Downside...they are just like motorcycles... once you experience what they are truly capable of in a controlled environment...it we be the only place (the track) you will want ride or drive...

Also makes you realize how overkill these vehicles are for street use.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
Downside...they are just like motorcycles... once you experience what they are truly capable of in a controlled environment...it we be the only place (the track) you will want ride or drive...

Also makes you realize how overkill these vehicles are for street use.
This is exactly what i was thinking.
In fact I would imagine that the novelty might erode at some point even with the track . One might want a different track , a newer car, something more .
Had i tried this at the age of 18 when I started driving I may have even moved to a place right next to my favorite track . In fact . I did do this for swimming .. i moved to florida to swim outdoors as soon as i was 18 and planted myself between all of my favorite pools.
I see some guys here who drive hours just to get to the track .

I'm not 18 though .
There is a certain joy I have just having the car because it took so many years to get . As much of an enjoyment there also is stress element with going to the track .. preparation.training, expense, time , and wear and tear on the car .

I am trying to look at all sides ..

Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I do not believe I can get $70k... If I was to get that much I would have to put another $15k to even get a Gen I GT3...

The thing is I have modded the car so much that selling it would be pointless. Because a GT3 can not grip much better than my car in the turns. I have a lot done to the suspension. Also I do not feel like my car is lacking power with the full exhaust system and ECU tune.

I am however lacking LSD, better brakes, r-compound tires, buckets & harness. Most of which will be added towards the fall
You's get low 60's bone stock and 70 with the mods if you did private sale . Look at the Florida Prices on auto trader . http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1277442026497

If you part it out and faced the headache you'd get 80 by the time you are finished and by then the 2010 Gt3 will be older .

That 15-25K will get you the 2010 car in time for the holidays.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 PM
You's get low 60's bone stock and 70 with the mods if you did private sale . Look at the Florida Prices on auto trader . http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1277442026497

If you part it out and faced the headache you'd get 80 by the time you are finished and by then the 2010 Gt3 will be older .

That 15-25K will get you the 2010 car in time for the holidays.
If I was to sell my car I would sell it as it is, but I really doubt I could get that much... Not everyone prefers a tracked and modded car.

For another $15k I would make my car much faster than a GT3, and I'm talking on the track not straight line. Trust me on that

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
If I was to sell my car I would sell it as it is, but I really doubt I could get that much... Not everyone prefers a tracked and modded car.

For another $15k I would make my car much faster than a GT3, and I'm talking on the track not straight line. Trust me on that
Most buyers don't worry about where the car has been as much as what it's been through. Reading this forum it sems like the track gives a lot of wear but the street has produced the most problem posts (accident, flood, scraping lip , dings, etc) . I worry about the wear and tear on the track but on the street all it takes is a minivan blowing off a stop sign .

But nowhere is 100 percent pefect. One can ding his car in his own garage .

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

may be. may be not. with all work i did so far i am still way under price of good used 996 gt3 car. i am not going to swap out m97 engine, it will stay. gt3 suspension job with jrz shocks is essentially $10k when you do it all at once. aerokit is not needed.
most important factor is that m97 engine replacement is 9K, gt3 enfine is 45K.
but i agree, if i knew all i know now i would buy 996 gt3 from the start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does one start the track ?