997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What to do in San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
What to do in San Francisco?

I'm going to be in SF for a few days next week. Any of you locals know of any Porsche/racing destinations or events that I should try to fit in?
Thanks.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
no, but there are some great roads to drive your car on like Route 1 south of Half Moon Bay and Route 17 near Santa Cruz and a few others.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM
98camaro1le is infamous around these parts
Laguna seca is an 1.5 hrs south...also take skyline out to the coast in the porsche...280 south to woodside road and head east. U can't get too lost haha, great drive

Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can always stop by santa row on saturday morning. it's in san jose about 1 hr south of sf

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
ggregory is infamous around these parts
Bad news: The roads in SF are horrible. Potholes, huge cracks and a bunch of crap.

Good news: 15 minutes outside of SF (North or South) as suggested above, there's great places to see. I live in the North and you can hit:
1. Hwy 1. Coastside villages.
2. Napa & Sonoma. Wine tasting
3. Mount Tamalpais and surrounding areas.
4. Infineon Raceway (30 min from the Golden Gate Bridge).

Mix in stops at Sam's in Tiburon or Fish Restaurant in Sausalito........life is good.

Cheers

Old 06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ggregory
Bad news: The roads in SF are horrible. Potholes, huge cracks and a bunch of crap.
Very true.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Yes, I have been living in the San Francisco Bay Area for almost thirty years, and nowadsys I do not wish to go to the (San Francisco) city unless it is absolutely necessary.

In the city, not only there are cracks and potholes on many roads, the city (instead of pave them) put huge steel plates on top of the roads to cover the potholes. Worse, some of these steel plates rise a couple inches above the pavement, and some of the corners of these steel plates spike up (probably from the prying them up while being reused or relocated.)

Everytime I roll my tires on top of these potholes/cracks/steel plates, my heart cried. I have many friends bent their wheels or flated their tires while driving their cars on those poor roads in the city.

Just want to share, so you could prepare for it.

With best regards,

P.S. With that say, there are some other roads in the San Francisco Bay Area that are still decent for driving. Like other folks say, the Half Moon Bay Highway 1 is a famous scenic drive, the Santana Road at San Jose is a hit for Saturaday because exotic cars gather there like a mini Rodeo Drive. Monterey (near Laguna Seca raceway) and Napa (wine country) are nice areas to enjoy driving over as well.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
fusion85 is infamous around these parts
If you will be in San Francisco, go to Tataki Sushi Restaurant, even if you have to take the bus. Best sushi in SF, per the Chronicle poll, & the first fully sustainable sushi restaurant in the US. Corner of Divisadero & California. Have fun!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 AM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Unfortunately, my Porsche will not be making the trip with me. I'll likely be in a fine rental vehicle like a Ford Edge. I have experienced the roads in SF many times. Not pleasant. But the area is beautiful and it's a great city. I'll check out the restaurant suggestions and see if anything is going on at Infineon. Thanks.