997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Poor Experience with RE-11s...anyone have this same issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Poor Experience with RE-11s...anyone have this same issue?

Hi Guys,

I recently swapped out my worn PS2s for a set of RE-11s for my C4. I kept the sizes stock at 235/35/19 and 305/30/19. After putting about 500 miles on them, I've found them not to be confidence inspiring at all. They were excellent early on (the opposite of what I expected) and now the car is squirming and swaying at speeds over 65 and the back feels like it wants to chase the front around spirited corners. I have the the 102 rated's on the back, so I don't think it should be a sidewall flex issue. It's also downright scary in the wet.

Wondering if any of you guys have had the same experience. It's certainly not what I expected, so I'm open to any and all opinions.

Thanks guys,

-Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
are you sure that your alignment is not off?
How many miles are on the tires??
How much tread is left?? Front and rear...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
alignment is getting checked tomorrow, tires were purchased brand new and I've got about 800 on them now.

-Alex

Last edited by thealexman; 06-30-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I've heard that the RE11's are not good in the rain. I've read a lot of positives on the RE11 but none with higher mileage. At the track I spoken with guys that run the RE11 and find they get hot real fast and over heat real fast....this probably would not happen with street driving though. I've also read they last about 1/2 of what the Michelin PS2's will last.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM
I've recently heard similar things about the heat...considering how gummy the tires are, I wonder if that's not causing some of the additional wiggle.

-Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The sound like PZero's, I look forward to the results of your alignment check.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I wonder if it could be a heat issue. I had tire years ago that would get real slick when it got hot. Felt almost like driving in the mud.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
u chked tire pressure right?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have RE-11s on my car, had them over two months now. I probably put over 2,000 miles with 6 DE events. No problems so far, they are great tires! To me they are confidence inspiring. I can take corners faster than before, but I swapped from PZero Rosso...

Check tire pressure and alignment

Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
went to RE-11 from PS2's and have about 3,000 miles on the RE's now and one track day. Mike Levitas from TPC Racing is also running these on his TT and said they do get a bit greasy when very hot (track) and pressure needs to be dropped.

So far I think they are better than ps2's in just about every area - dry grip, comfort, noise etc. haven't really pushed them in the rain but Damon at tirerack thought they would be as good as PS2's in the wet.

member TT surgeon has done several track days with them as well. maybe he'll chime in,

Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I had a similar experience in the heat when I had them on my RS4. These tires definitely felt softer then any tires I had before. They always gripped great, but sometimes they almost felt as if they were trailing while the weather was hotter. If I made a slight steering input to the left or right the rear end of the vehicle didn't respond to steering input and the tires felt soft or mushy. I'm trying to describe the feeling as best as I can, but I just can't put it into words. I never experienced any problems in the rain with them though.

OP, does this sound similar to your problem?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Pressure is checked religiously, so I know it's not that. I've found that to get any level of grip they had to be run 3psi less (cold pressure) than PS2s in order to not be completely unmanageable. It the whole thing is very much like driving in ultra slick mud. They're quieter than PS2s, but they're just terrible in the rain too...I honestly feel like I've got a different RE-11 than you guys based on the way things sound. That's what's so confusing.

-Alex

Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to update. The alignment isn't going to be done until next week due to some scheduling issues. I'll report back with the findings for sure.

-Alex

Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
nota_troll is infamous around these partsnota_troll is infamous around these parts
subscribing. I ordered a set of RE-11s for my fading PS2s. The review of the wet behavior is causing me some hesitation since it rains a bit in Houston.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
NJR911 is infamous around these parts
I have had the re-11's on my 07 turbo since february. I have four track days and about 3000 miles total and have driven them to sebring,pbia,daytona and down to miami to pick up parts. I am VERY happy with them on the track and on the road in the rain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor Experience with RE-11s...anyone have this same issue?