997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Illuminated Door Sills Installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Howie
The floor lighting uses incandescent bulbs. If the sills use LEDs which I think they do, then the current draw is miniscule. On the order of 20 mA.
There is no room for bulbs, as the flat trim sits on the flat sill. I believe it is some kind of electro-illuminescence, which likely takes minimal power too.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys!

Just an update:

Ok, I was pretty obsessed on redoing my wiring after I read and read and read over the installation instructions that was given to me by Ryan from Suncoast...that I decided to RE-DO my wiring and do it according to the Porsche instructions. I just finished now. Took me about 5 hours. LOL. Yup, I'm pretty **** on doing a good job!

The hardest part of the job, besides replacing the sill plates and getting the 3M adhesive off like I said previously, was getting the door wire harness snaked out of the car, through the pillars and out through the door! The rubber boot was surprisingly pliable and soft and didn't crack or anything, as other rubber boots do such as those in American cars from previous experience. These cars are WELL built! Quality all through out I found out!

The next hard task was snaking the sill light wiring into the rubber boot. I just simply got a stiff wire and used that as a guide. Once I got it through, I attached the wire harness with some electrical tape and slowly, but surely pulled it through. Worked like a charm!

Nice thing about it now is, I can turn off the main courtesy lights and the sills will light up with just the door lights. Nice touch at night!

My first attempt at the footwell light tap for power to the sills is still good for those of you who have no patience with snaking the wiring out of the car's pillars and tapping into the door lights. I became determined once I went over the 14 page Porsche instructions on it's wiring installation, that I wanted to proved to myself that you don't have to be a technician to do it. Just be able to be good at following instructions, and have the tools available for the job, of course!

Vince

Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Vince: Good for you. I don't think I would have the patience to do it the "right" way after the first way worked ok. One could also just remove the bulbs from the footwell lights rather than disabling them with the switches.
Thanks for sharing, although photos of the tricky parts would have been good too.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 AM
juancooldude is infamous around these parts
As Yoda would say - Do or do not, there is not try.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Nice Job! Looks great! Want to come wire a set up for me

Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
Very Nice! Love that!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Nice Job! Looks great! Want to come wire a set up for me
You payin' for roundtrip airfare and lodging? Deal!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Very nice mod, Vince. I have always wanted one for mine but don't have the guts to rip the door panel apart to snake the wiring through. Hats off to you!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
They look awesome.

You almost make it sound easy. Mmmmmmhhhhh.

T.