997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I'm on the market for the DW version of this tire, it's about 50% cheaper than PS2, tought to ignore. Anyone using it?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Good News bad news. The DW is the top rated tire at tirerack, regardless of price. Unfortunately, depending upon size you can't get them. I've had the 305/30/19 rears on order since early Sept. with no promise. Finally called Continental USA last Friday; they got back to me and said there was nothing in the production schedule going out three months and no guarantee when after that. ( made in Czechoslovakia, who knows when the hell they would get here )

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
I have Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires on my subaru legacy. They are wonderful tires--for the Legacy. They are amazing all-season tires, but they are on the soft side. For better handling in the summer, one needs to inflate them to the high side of the recommended range (37 instead of 33). And, for the winter, they are GREAT in the snow--almost like a snow tire!

That being said, I would not put them on my C2S, as the sidewall is too soft and will give up too much in handling. Better to get winter performance tires (like Pilot Alpins) as a second set.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John McLane
I'm on the market for the DW version of this tire, it's about 50% cheaper than PS2, tought to ignore. Anyone using it?
For $290 more ($1.2k vs $910) you can get the excellent Bridgestone RE050A N1. These Bridgestones are a lot cheaper than the $1.9k PS2, and just as good, or better.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
The 050 that I had in my car went away after 6000 miles, not hard ones, no DE.
The Conti DW production is in halt, apparently it will take 6-8 weeks minimum to get those tires, same ETA given back in May, so not this year...It was too good to be true, cheap (sorta), reliable low profile tire with high UT#.
Went with RE-11, apparently the next best thing for the buck. Could not find PS2 below $500 (305/30 19)...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I have the DW on my turbo in 20" and the ride quality is about the same as OEM. I think it's even quieter and traction seems good. For the price, you can't beat them.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
have these DWS for 10k miles, love it, quiet, good performance

Old 08-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
DW version going on today....a bit tentative

Putting on a new set today. 285/30/19's and 235/35/19's. These suckers are light at 3lbs less per front and 5 lbs less on rears than the competition: bridgestone and michelins. However, some say the side walls are too cushy and the steering response not as good. This is my DD half the time and while I push it sometimes, most the times I'm just cruising at 80mph and could use the better ride on the interstate. I'll report back, but I hear inflating to the higher end of the spectrum helps with the cushy steering response. Most love the smoother and quieter ride the DW (NOT DWS) offers. They have a 320 treadwear, so they should outlast others that are mid 200s for sure. Fingers crossed. Oh, also these have a wider tread contact than Bridgestones so they won't look stretched on my 19X10 rims. Pics to come.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I've had the conti dws on wife's c4 for about 5k miles so far. very quiet, smooth and show no wear, yet. I can hear the radio on the chip seal pavement for a change...compared to the PS2's that were on it when we got it. It is her DD and is not tracked. However, i push it pretty hard from time to time and have no complaints whatsoever.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschelady
I've had the conti dws on wife's c4 for about 5k miles so far. very quiet, smooth and show no wear, yet. I can hear the radio on the chip seal pavement for a change...compared to the PS2's that were on it when we got it. It is her DD and is not tracked. However, i push it pretty hard from time to time and have no complaints whatsoever.
That is so good to know. Thanks for your help. The car is at the shop getting them on now. I'm excited to smooth out my ride a bit, because my 19" rims were pretty low and rough. I hope it is a win win for me too. :-) Chris

Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I have the DWS s for about 5K now. It s an all season tire which means it will never handle like a summer sport tire. It is softer in the sidewall feel. BUT for a regular smoother ride and with cold weather use and longer life I figured I d try a set. My weather has too many days under 30-40 degrees in which summer sport tires suck. That s why you ll read many posts about people having two set of wheels and tires. It s comes down to how you use the car and what kind of driving you do and if you are even a driver who can feel a difference. (I assume lots of Porsche guys can, LOL).
PS/ Be careful, you can not push the car like you can with the summer sports!!!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Jcsomerv is infamous around these parts
Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?

DWS here too. Really like them. Smooth and quiet. Cooler days (30s-50s) in Toronto make other tires hard as hockey pucks. DWS stay compliant. And if we get a dusting of snow while I am out, I can still get home. Love them after 5,000 KMs.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 08-20-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
All season Conti's have very week sidewalls I blew out two of them in less than 40 days (though it was on a BMW 650 which is a heavier car), and ended up pulling the 20" M sports wheels and going with lightweight 19" and Bridgestone Pole Position (I have them on other cars including my 997) and it transformed the car. In the strongest possible way I suggest you always go with the best tire possible. Tires are what keep you and the road connected, so make sure you have the best connection you can get!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:41 AM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Had DWS on my S550 for two spring/summer/fall seasons with 20inch rims. Loved the traction/comfort/longevity combo. Also have them on my wife's CLS500 for 3 seasons and overall performance is very good.
Not sport cars by any means but in my opinion, for any DD where temps fall in to 40s and snow is still nowhere in sight, it's a great choice.
I wanted to get them for my c4 as well but 305 isn't available.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
i had dws on wife's lexus sc430 before we traded it for the c4 and loved them on it. had no trouble whatsoever, and as with the c4, they were smooth, quite and gave excellent mileage. I had to move down a notch in size from the PS2's on the c4 but they were in line with what the manual recommended for winter tires. If you don't track the car, I can't imagine why anyone would want the PS2's. Rough, noisey and poor mileage. I rank the PS2's somewhere around the run-flats that were on the SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?