997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lsd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sin911
For a car driven only on the street, there is absolutely no need...
+1

Street driving, LSD doesn't even show its face.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1, it would have been nice to have a factory option available, however I know a lot of GT3 owners that have replaced their LsD due to wear
Something I want to point out is that the GT3 LSD is significantly different than the 997 Carrera LSD. The GT3 uses a Getrag gearbox and an LSD that is manufactured by GKN. The 997 Carrera uses a Aisin gearbox from Japan and as far as I know it contains an LSD that is also manufactured by Aisin.

From what I have seen of the Aisin LSD it appears to be a fairly high quality unit and the materials and workmanship appears to be better than the GKN unit found in the GT3. As for how well they are working or what their durability is, I have to give the honest answer that I do not know. I don't know of anyone racing on one that I could contact or consult with on feedback, and as such cannot be of much assistance in that area.

I just wanted to point that out because I wouldn't immediately write off the factory piece without further research into it. It might be a very good cost effective option for people. There are Porsche part numbers for both complete LSD gearboxes and what they call a "repair kit" which includes a differential, within PET. It might be worth pursuing further before tossing this one out as useless like some of the other recent LSDs. While I would love every one of you to buy and install one of my differentials, the fact of the matter is I believe in information first. So I put it out there for you to further explore and draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Matt

Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Aisin is well known in the Toyota landcruiser offroad/ rock crawling crowds and is considered very tough (at least for their offroading parts)

oh and btw, rep points for you north van for a great answer. Thanks to the rest of you guys as well... rep points for al...

Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
They also make the 6spd STi Subaru gearboxes, which are held in pretty high regards. I don't really know why Porsche went from Getrag in the 996 Carrera to Aisin in the 997 Carrera, but the fact of the matter is that it's a better gearbox. I won't say that it's better than a GT3 gearbox, but it's definitely better than the previous Carrera box.