997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Hard Start - HPFP Replaced -Fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
997.2 Hard Start - HPFP Replaced -Fixed

2009 C4S, 12/08 build. 9000 or so miles. Cranked over for a while before engine fired off. Worse after a hot soak (run hard, turned off, restarted within 30-60 minutes) in hot weather.

High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced under warranty. Fixed problem.

FYI.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
A few questions if you please...

Do you know if the dealer had a specific diagnostic test to determine the bad pump or did they just go by what symptoms you described to them?

Did the dealer have your part(s) in stock or did they have to order them.

How long did it take the dealer to fix your ride?

I just want to be prepared if this issue ever crops up. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
SABOY,

I had the HPFP go out on my 09 997.2 while on a trip home from New Orleans. It was about 8PM on a long strech of road. I ignored the startup symptoms that morning when the car was sluggish as I started it up. I just thought it was a symptom of the car being cold. The car ran fine afterwards and I ran around as usual and then started my trip home. I ended up having to get towed as I was too far to continue driving in limp mode. I was able to start my car as long as I applied the gas pedal and keep my foot on it a little bit.
I had diagnosed my issue prior to towing the car to the dealer the next day, so when I arrived I informed them of what my issue was. It turned out to be correct but it took nearly a week for them to get the part in from Germany. This worried me because it appears that they may have been replacing more HPFP than originally thoought.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PTParks
A few questions if you please...

Do you know if the dealer had a specific diagnostic test to determine the bad pump or did they just go by what symptoms you described to them?

Did the dealer have your part(s) in stock or did they have to order them.

How long did it take the dealer to fix your ride?
You will know when your car begins to not start instantly, hot or cold. Also, mine did throw a code (but not a CEL) for low fuel pressure. When hot mine would crank for 5-10 seconds before firing and it never did that previously. Parts had to be ordered but were in after a couple days. The repair is 4-5 hours as I recall?

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
SABOY,

I had the HPFP go out on my 09 997.2 while on a trip home from New Orleans. It was about 8PM on a long strech of road. I ignored the startup symptoms that morning when the car was sluggish as I started it up. I just thought it was a symptom of the car being cold. The car ran fine afterwards and I ran around as usual and then started my trip home.
I had diagnosed my issue prior to towing the car to the dealer the next day, so when I arrived I informed them of what my issue was. It turned out to be correct but it took nearly a week for them to get the part in from Germany. This worried me because it appears that they may have been replacing more HPFP than originally thoought.
Sorry to hear you wound up in a bad situation. I actually remembered and though of your original post as I was up in the Sierras in the middle of mountain nowhere a few weeks ago as it was hard starting and your experience motivated me to go in and get it fixed ASAP. Thanks!

All is good now and car starts immediately hot or cold.