997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Helmet recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 AM
docfink is infamous around these parts
Question Helmet recommendation

Trying to schedule my first DE and need a helmet. Anyone out there recommend a reasonably priced, comfortable helmet? Also, not having bought one before, I'd like to know where a good place to purchase one might be.

Thanks--

Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The general consensus is to buy a full faced helmet and to go to a shop and try it on.

Bell is considered a good make at a good price, but there are some less expensive models like pyrotect that are made by Bell and will do the job.

Since the PSDS I attended uses open faces helmets and I was a beginner I decided to buy an open face model. (Bell Sport Model~ $200).

Besides being a little more comfortable, its cooler and you can hear the instructor better if they don't use a communication system. But it does offer slightly less protection. In the lower run groups where I drive in PCA I don't consider it a liability but others would strongly disagree.

I bought mine online at apexperformance.net. They have detailed isntructions and how to measure your head and info on all the sizes of the manufacturers.

I'm not sure if the NJMP sports store is still open. I have not driven there yet this year. But if it is they have a good selection of helmets but they tend to be in the mid price range. I would call first to see if when and if they are open.

Good luck. Once you do your first DE you will be amazed at what the car can really do.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 AM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Never tracked the car so don't have a helmet, but I do race motorcycles and do have a few helmets for that. I found that you need to actually go and try them on, that's the only way to get one that fits properly and is comfortable. I found HJC are fairly reasonable price wise and are comfortable. Best place to buy one is at your local bike dealer/shop.

Good luck and have fun!!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:43 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thor7000
Never tracked the car so don't have a helmet, but I do race motorcycles and do have a few helmets for that. I found that you need to actually go and try them on, that's the only way to get one that fits properly and is comfortable. I found HJC are fairly reasonable price wise and are comfortable. Best place to buy one is at your local bike dealer/shop.

Good luck and have fun!!
Remembe you can not use an M rated helmet at the DE. It must be SA rated.

Many bike dealers only carry M rated helmets. Good places to check out are car performance centers.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 AM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buckwheat986

Many bike dealers only carry M rated helmets. Good places to check out are car performance centers.
Great info, didn't know that!!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM
C2Spin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by docfink
Trying to schedule my first DE and need a helmet. Anyone out there recommend a reasonably priced, comfortable helmet? Also, not having bought one before, I'd like to know where a good place to purchase one might be.

Thanks--
Just finished my first DE a few weekends back, and purchased a Bell open face helmet in matte black. The dealer I go to that was sponsoring the event had several helmets at the shop (loaners for the event), and used them to try on for size. While the large felt comfortable, it was medium that I went with. Once the helmet is on, you don't want to be able to move your head side to side. The medium was snug, but once I got mine and used at the track, any discomfort quickly subsided. Was still able to get the in-helmet communications ear piece up the inside of the helmet comfortably.

It is critical you get SNELL 2005 (check your event rules). To my understanding the helmet it good for 10 years (2015) provided you have no incidents. I'm not the expert and others can chime in.

Regarding open-face / full-face you'll hear a lot of opinions on the subject. None are right or wrong, just preference, AND, dependent on what kind of driving events you do. Some clubs at the higher levels require it, and I believe Club Racing requires it. As I am starting out felt comfortable with open face. If I choose to move up and feel I need full-face, I can simply sell the open-face on craigslist or similar.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 AM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by C2Spin
Just finished my first DE a few weekends back, and purchased a Bell open face helmet in matte black. The dealer I go to that was sponsoring the event had several helmets at the shop (loaners for the event), and used them to try on for size. While the large felt comfortable, it was medium that I went with. Once the helmet is on, you don't want to be able to move your head side to side. The medium was snug, but once I got mine and used at the track, any discomfort quickly subsided. Was still able to get the in-helmet communications ear piece up the inside of the helmet comfortably.

It is critical you get SNELL 2005 (check your event rules). To my understanding the helmet it good for 10 years (2015) provided you have no incidents. I'm not the expert and others can chime in.

Regarding open-face / full-face you'll hear a lot of opinions on the subject. None are right or wrong, just preference, AND, dependent on what kind of driving events you do. Some clubs at the higher levels require it, and I believe Club Racing requires it. As I am starting out felt comfortable with open face. If I choose to move up and feel I need full-face, I can simply sell the open-face on craigslist or similar.

Good luck!
You may be able to sell a helmet on craigslist, but NEVER buy a used helmet for yourself or your passengers. The inside material could have been damaged without showing any marks on the outer surface.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Arai also makes some very nice helmets. They are a bit pricey, but its safety...

Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Make sure you don't need a nomex lined helmet, you do for car racing and bike helmets (I race bikes) aren't nomex lined.

This place has good reviews.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...etrackgear.com

These are good places too.

http://www.helmethouse.com/

http://www.helmetharbor.com/

The chin straps will have a date of manufacture on them. Check that, sometimes the clearance sales are for helmets that have been on the shelf for a while. Some people believe you shouldn't use them beyond 5 years after the manufacture date, others like me think that's bunk.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i also bought my pyrotech open face from apexperformance.net

not only do they have best prices around, they also had the manufacturer ship the helmet directly since i live a hr away from them. this saved express shipping fees for me. great customer service!

you want SA helmet, something basic to start with - gforce or pyrotech. if you track a lot or get into timed or competitive event, you can upgrade to a Bell later.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
+1 on trying them on.
There is a good safety shop in my town so I went in and tried on a Bell and a Simpson in a couple of sizes. There really was quite a difference in comfort and fit. I bought the Simpson since it felt better and the expert helping me thought it fit better. It was under $500.

http://www.apexspg.com/

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
PNWR allows SM helmets and they are a lot cheaper than SA helmets. Make sure you check the regulations in the area you plan to run. An SA will be usable everywhere though.

Obviously needs are different for different people. For occasional DE, no racing, not too serious, I wish I'd gotten an open face instead of full face.

Also another issue with our cars is clearance. If you are tall at all, many helmets will be hard to fit under the roof - remember for proper performance driving position you need to be sitting straight upright in the car, not leaning back! For anyone 6'2" or more, make sure to try on the helmet on your head *and* test actually sitting in the car with it!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 AM
OneFastBeast is infamous around these parts
+1 for pyrotech.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 AM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
I'm selling my Arai GP5-W

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-awesome.html

Best helmet you can buy IMO. I'm only selling it to get the same helmet 1 size smaller.