997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2012 991 (the future Porsche 911)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
2012 991 (the future Porsche 911)

Today was the first day the car was even mentioned to me casually .
I was at the dealership with my car to get the door fixed.
While there I sat in the Gt3RS and pondered .. "where will I drive this "?

Nope .. I didn't buy it.

The salesman who i really like .. looked at me sitting in the car quietly wrestling with thoughts about it. I think we both were amused .
We talked a little and then he said "why don't you keep the cars you have now and when the next one comes out custom order one ?"

I never thought of that . I mean --obviously i did .. but I didn't really get up to the next car in actual practical thinking.

One thing I have learned is that no matter how much one says "nay" to the next Porsche .. it arrives .. then one look .. and it just clicks .

So why not think it through .
Whose really ready to ponder the next car ?

BTW --I am not totally decided yet.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I am secretly hoping the next iteration detracts from the classic styling/functionality of the 911. That way I won't be tempted to get one and can enjoy the one I have for at least 10 years which is how long I normally keep my cars.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
I am secretly hoping the next iteration detracts from the classic styling/functionality of the 911. That way I won't be tempted to get one and can enjoy the one I have for at least 10 years which is how long I normally keep my cars.
Even when it does .. there's usually some draw to the new car . In fact .. we'd all be driving the old Porsches if there wasn't a draw with the 997.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Porsche doesn't make many mistakes when it comes to the 911 line. The updates are usually evolutionary rather than revolutionary. More power is always a nice addition.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 AM
C2Spin is infamous around these parts
A little heavy......

"Such is the state of life, that none are happy but by the anticipation of change: the change itself is nothing; when we have made it, the next wish is to change again. The world is not yet exhausted; let me see something tomorrow which I never saw be."

- Samuel Johnson

ps: cannot wait to see the 2012. May have to trade in the '09 for it. Yeah, not the most financially sound idea, but......

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
I´ve a August 09, so it doesn´t have a year, but have already talked with my dealer and the 991 is indeed an option. It will depend from the depreciation on my car.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
Based on info i have obtained on the proposed 2012, I'm not sure the 2012 will be for everyone. I alredy think that the current 997.2 body is long and wide enough. The proposed 2012 will be even bigger. Bigger is not always better.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I am going to lay down a deposit the moment they will take one. There will no longer be a "base Carrera" and a "Carrera S". They will be replaced by a 3.4 liter Carrera S making 350 bhp and a 3.8 litre Carrera RS making 400hp. It will have a 4 inch longer wheel base and be about 130 lbs lighter. The interior I would guess will be something like the 2011 Cayenne. I plan on custom speccing an RS. I see little point in buying a 2011 model year when the new car is oh so close.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The 997 is a large car, on Saturday my car was sitting beside a 964 RSA. I was surprised how much bigger my car was then the RSA. I would hope that Porsche retains the size, any bigger and it will lose it's roots as a sports car and be more of a GT.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
tmtacq is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The 997 is a large car, on Saturday my car was sitting beside a 964 RSA. I was surprised how much bigger my car was then the RSA. I would hope that Porsche retains the size, any bigger and it will lose it's roots as a sports car and be more of a GT.
I agree and it seems clear with cars like the Boxster Spyder that people like raw, back to Porsches roots style cars. While the concept of a larger 911 does not thrill me, the fact that it's lighter is promising. Not to mention has any of this been confirmed? I love to speculate as much as the next guy, but I don't jump to conclusions until the manufacturer releases specs.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tmtacq
I agree and it seems clear with cars like the Boxster Spyder that people like raw, back to Porsches roots style cars. While the concept of a larger 911 does not thrill me, the fact that it's lighter is promising. Not to mention has any of this been confirmed? I love to speculate as much as the next guy, but I don't jump to conclusions until the manufacturer releases specs.
I agree that being lighter is a good thing, but lighter and a little smaller would be better.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I paid allot for the car I have. I still love it and I intend to keep it. I thought I paid allot for my Land Rover at the time, and I kept it...it's going on 12 years now and I still love it. Sure I'll look at the new cars that are coming, but it's just looking. Not sure it's entirely a money thing as I keep most everything I buy and use it until it NEEDS to be replaced...guess I'm not your typical consumption minded American. Ok, sure I have a Porsche, when I could have bought a Honda. I didn't say I don't like nice things, just that I don't have to have every new version of everything that comes down the pipe...cell phones, computers, TV's, cars, etc., etc., etc.

J

Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
I paid allot for the car I have. I still love it and I intend to keep it. I thought I paid allot for my Land Rover at the time, and I kept it...it's going on 12 years now and I still love it. Sure I'll look at the new cars that are coming, but it's just looking. Not sure it's entirely a money thing as I keep most everything I buy and use it until it NEEDS to be replaced...guess I'm not your typical consumption minded American. Ok, sure I have a Porsche, when I could have bought a Honda. I didn't say I don't like nice things, just that I don't have to have every new version of everything that comes down the pipe...cell phones, computers, TV's, cars, etc., etc., etc.

J
I intend to keep my 997 for a while, bought an extended warranty a few months ago, will keep me cover for another 5 years. I guess you and I will have to deal with all the new 997 people asking the same questions over and over again, while the rest move on to the next model and ask the same questions in that forum.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PTParks
Porsche doesn't make many mistakes when it comes to the 911 line. The updates are usually evolutionary rather than revolutionary. More power is always a nice addition.
I'm going to have to say that history will be the judge on both the slant nose and 996 models.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
The nice thing about the 2012 will be a price drop in the 997.2. So by the time it comes out I might be able to make the jump from my 2005 C2S to a 997.2 C2S or C4S...one can only hope!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 991 (the future Porsche 911)