997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 "Sport" Steering Wheel Retro Fit with Multifunction Module?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010 | 09:34 PM
|
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Question 997 "Sport" Steering Wheel Retro Fit with Multifunction Module?

Before I go down a dead end, I thought I'd poll the collective to see if this is even possible...

I have 2007 997 C4S with the "Sport" (round airbag) style steering wheel and love the feel of the wheel but an wondering if it possible to retro fit a Multifunction control buttons/module into it (or anything like)? The angle of the multifunction control buttons seem the same but you know how it goes with Porsche's and "standards"...

Here's a pic of "Sport" steering wheel without air bag

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2010 | 09:41 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Are you asking if you can 'activate' the MF option on a car previously without it or are you asking if you can get the MF buttons/functionality on a 'sport' (i.e. round airbag/no buttons) steering wheel?

AFAIK, the round airbags are strictly non-MF. But if you're referring to the former, then yes, you can enable MF buttons on your car with a new steering wheel with triangular airbag/buttons, new harnesses, and a trip to your dealer.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-removal.html

Old 07-13-2010 | 11:19 PM
|
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bonehead
Are you asking if you can 'activate' the MF option on a car previously without it or are you asking if you can get the MF buttons/functionality on a 'sport' (i.e. round airbag/no buttons) steering wheel?

AFAIK, the round airbags are strictly non-MF. But if you're referring to the former, then yes, you can enable MF buttons on your car with a new steering wheel with triangular airbag/buttons, new harnesses, and a trip to your dealer.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-removal.html
I know I can buy the standard OEM (Triangular) MF Steering Wheel and swap out but then I have to also buy airbag to match new wheel and then send to outside source to upgrade shape (thumb rest) and thickness and re-wrap in leather ( http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm )to match what feel/look of what I already have in "Sport" style wheel.

I know you can buy MF retro kit (has cables, module & buttons) to install into a "standard" non-MF wheel (ie., triangular airbag). But since technically it was designed for triangular style BUT it looks (from internet pics) very close to possibly fit "Sport" (round airbag) wheel.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-14-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 07:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche has never offered a multi-function Sport Steering wheel. If you want MF, then you would have to convert to the standard steering wheel with triangular style airbag.

Or..........it's possible to upgrade to the new 2010 style with MF, but it does require a little more effort and more $$.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-09-2013 | 01:32 PM
bobolouie is infamous around these parts
Are there any aftermarket wheels that have MF? I have the sport style and would not change to triangular shape.

Old 10-23-2013 | 03:29 AM
Jorge da Cruz is infamous around these parts
Same problem with my Cayenne 2013 ... Dealer Forgot to order my CORRECT multifunction steering wheel and now i want to install one.

Old 10-23-2013 | 10:39 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I took the round multi function heated wheel out of my '11' Carrera GTS and replaced it with a paddle wheel. It does a great job holding down car receipts on my work bench. The tech had to do a bit of programming to make it work. Nothing major it was just giving a fault code. Suncoast should be able to take care of you.

Old 10-24-2013 | 04:32 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bobolouie
Are there any aftermarket wheels that have MF? I have the sport style and would not change to triangular shape.
If you don't want to change to a triangular shape, then I think MF feature is unavailable to you. IMO, the MF feature isn't important or useful enough to spend much time or money on. I have it on my car (I did convert my factory leather covered MF wheel to a flat bottomed DCT wheel and I love it), but seldom find the MF buttons that useful because of how Porsche set them up.

Old 10-24-2013 | 02:15 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I use my MF controls all of the time.
I adjust volume primarily this way (adjust for source changes, to talk to passengers, or turn down commercials, or turn up great songs)

I use the programmed button all the time to dim the PCM display .. which isn't needed much of the time.

I use the right scroll wheel to zoom in and out of the navigation map when I'm using the nav system to drive in new areas.