997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1

.. but the thoughts of the missed opportunity of this car just lingers
I've been around the block a few times myself, and I've read most of your posts struggling with your decision, and I must say - the above is the most confusing piece of this -
These cars are getting faster and better looking every year. How about that hybrid brake technology - what do they call that? That'll be out soon -
What missed oppty? Sit tight, drive your cars, smoke a cigar, drink some wine, go to Porsche Driving School, etc. Chill out!
If you still can't shake it, go buy one, but I think you're kidding yourself if you're telling yourself that you're missing an oppty...

Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jack667
I've been around the block a few times myself, and I've read most of your posts struggling with your decision, and I must say - the above is the most confusing piece of this -
These cars are getting faster and better looking every year. How about that hybrid brake technology - what do they call that? That'll be out soon -
What missed oppty? Sit tight, drive your cars, smoke a cigar, drink some wine, go to Porsche Driving School, etc. Chill out!
If you still can't shake it, go buy one, but I think you're kidding yourself if you're telling yourself that you're missing an oppty...
Jack makes a good point here. The "next best thing" is always out there.... I think you need to decide if your going to want the next RS or if you are buying this one because you think this RS is the one to have.

Isn't the Porsche 993 RS the real RS to have... I have heard only two exist/survive in the US?

Jason

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
All great points -- I do think this will be the best RS of all time and a future collector car but that's just speculative and opinion.

It would be so much easier if my driving needs were different . If I were a "track guy" this would be the car . But for me .. it's more like art appreciation yet it does capture such acore essence of what I view a drivers car to be that even though i don't see myself wanting to track it .. I do see so much to admire about it.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 AM
rosenbergendo is infamous around these parts
Just as an aside on resell. Both current GT3 and GT3 RS WILL be collectors cars. The end is upon us for the GT1 (Metzger) block and manual transmission as standard fair in the 911 platform. Look at what 993 Turbos are worth. While any car is an EXTREMELY poor investment, the chance of these cars maintaining their value MUCH better than many other Porsches is very possible. A PDK 997.2 will take an enormous hit to a GT3 or RS over the short term and even more over the long term.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
So i see that I am not alone .
So what stops you guys?
It can't only be the cost .. many of you guys spend nearly what an RS costs modding the 997S.
what stops me?
i cannot drive it on a street as it is not a street car and do not have truck and a trailer nor space for them to tow it to a track where it belongs.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Larry, why don't you get the RS and use the TT as your DD? I know in the past you keep referring to "preserving" the TT, but i'm not quite sure what you're preserving it for? It's not a collectors item - it's a mass produced car that has already depreciated tremendously.

The RS can be something you might want to drive only occasionally. My TT is not my DD but I drive the crap out of it - 39K miles and counting. There is NO ONE who pampers their car more than I do. I detail it myself, by hand. But you know what? there are some chips on the hood and I've tracked it a few times. the car is no worse for wear. Also, a few DE's a year at the novice or even Inter. level is going to put any significant wear on the car.

I guess I get some weird type of pleasure knowing that while I take tremendous care of it, It's kind of neat to be rolling on the miles and enjoying the car as much as I can.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
Thinking of you

Larry,
I have to jump in here because you gave me so much valuable advice when buying my C4S.

I pulled into our local dealer this morning to see a new GT3RS - gray/black with gold wheels and graphics. WOW! Sticker was $170,230 - needless to say it was nicely optioned. While waiting for my car to get serviced (more on that later) I drooled on it (jjscab said he would have done something else on it but I won't mention that here). The service advisor said that they had purchased it for someone local who ultimately couldn't wait and went for a GT3 instead. He proceeded to tell me that a guy from Florida randomly called and bought it sight unseen (in the back of my mind I'm thinking that's you). If it is you, you bought an unbelievable car. If not, I can now understand the obsession. Personally I think the GT3 is a bit more compliant for how you would be using it but either way I'd be sleeping in the garage with it for the first few months. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

As for my "normal" service this morning - it uncovered an issue with my rear main seal and an undiagnosed oil leak near the transmission. Urghh! At least it's under warranty.

Good luck Larry.

Jim

Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 AM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
if that is what you really want, go for it. Our P cars are not about practicality but enjoyment. My 6sp 997tt is my DD in L.A. traffic with 26k trouble free miles. Love the car. The white pic above is exactly what I would choose as my spec, gets me thinking too...

Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM
afridi is infamous around these parts
If you have to have it, get it. I kind of feel I need to own one GT3 at least once. After that I can settle with whatever I do. It is the only car I truly lust after.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by afridi
If you have to have it, get it. I kind of feel I need to own one GT3 at least once. After that I can settle with whatever I do. It is the only car I truly lust after.
rennlist got a series of posts lately of folks crashing their cars on a track and now 'coochas'`s wife just smashed his gt3s class boxster yesterday at 20th turn at Calabogie.
I think I will go with a spec boxster or smilar small cheap car in the end instead of anything expensinve like gt3 rs when time will come to do a lot of track days and hopefull racing (if I wil not get tired of all this) and 997 car will remain a street/auto-x thing - where it is safe.
it is realy more appealing to me to spend $20k or so on a track only fun car which i can repair relatively easy than to roll $100K 997 or hit it at a wall.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
rennlist got a series of posts lately of folks crashing their cars on a track and now 'coochas'`s wife just smashed his gt3s class boxster yesterday at 20th turn at Calabogie.
I think I will go with a spec boxster or smilar small cheap car in the end instead of anything expensinve like gt3 rs when time will come to do a lot of track days and hopefull racing (if I wil not get tired of all this) and 997 car will remain a street/auto-x thing - where it is safe.
it is realy more appealing to me to spend $20k or so on a track only fun car which i can repair relatively easy than to roll $100K 997 or hit it at a wall.
I'm with you. Its one reason I went with a base, low optioned 997 that I got for a song last year.

Last week I passed a gt3 and a turbo during my DE several times and sometimes I think it because they don't want to drive them near the limit for fear of bad things happening.

Last edited by buck986; 07-16-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Like most things in life, it comes down to if you can afford it. Not with a “well I can but…” attitude but with conviction. If money is not an object go ahead and do. There is no other car in the Porsche lineup that defines their cars more than the GT3RS.

If you CAN afford it, either use the TT as a DD or get something else as a DD. I know that if I had the ability to pick one up, I would in a heart beat.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
yrralis1,
If your in love with the looks of the 2010+ GT3 however appreciate your PDK C2S for a DD, why dont you install the GT3 Aero Parts on your current car and call it aday =)

Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I'm with you. Its one reason I went with a base, low optioned 997 that I got for a song last year.

Last week I passed a gt3 and a turbo's during my DE several times and sometimes I think it because they don't want to drive them near the limit for fear of bad things happening.
wanna see some scary stuff?

[youtube]_MczoR1LVh0[/youtube]

[youtube]fi9fpFjzC8c[/youtube]

[youtube]4b2LSGtwcNE[/youtube]

And the best one I`ve seen today:

[youtube]o9WtEmTLp1Y[/youtube]

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Just get what you truly want and what you can afford.

For most of us the practical side of things doesn't really matter or we would all be driving Chevy's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?