997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
utkinpol,

thanks for posting ...the first one is just so unexpected and with the car going air-borne just plain frightening.

....taking a 170K GT3RS to the track has to be carefully thought out.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
utkinpol,

thanks for posting ...the first one is just so unexpected and with the car going air-borne just plain frightening.

....taking a 170K GT3RS to the track has to be carefully thought out.
i saw several videos from a guy who just got new 2009 cup car - it is even more money and completely crazy performance.

some people can simply afford that risk i guess. my mechanic works cars for a guy who owns 2 new gt3 rs cars and a turbo. why not, if one can.

i - can`t, so, dedicated much cheaper car for track is definitely in my future if i will be able to resolve all issues with logistics - will need to get something that will be able to tow this car first of all, then decide where to put trailer, etc.
just too many 'if's there.

Ps. and separate track insurance is 'a must' of course.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nthusiast
Larry,
I have to jump in here because you gave me so much valuable advice when buying my C4S.

I pulled into our local dealer this morning to see a new GT3RS - gray/black with gold wheels and graphics. WOW! Sticker was $170,230 - needless to say it was nicely optioned. While waiting for my car to get serviced (more on that later) I drooled on it (jjscab said he would have done something else on it but I won't mention that here). The service advisor said that they had purchased it for someone local who ultimately couldn't wait and went for a GT3 instead. He proceeded to tell me that a guy from Florida randomly called and bought it sight unseen (in the back of my mind I'm thinking that's you). If it is you, you bought an unbelievable car. If not, I can now understand the obsession. Personally I think the GT3 is a bit more compliant for how you would be using it but either way I'd be sleeping in the garage with it for the first few months. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

As for my "normal" service this morning - it uncovered an issue with my rear main seal and an undiagnosed oil leak near the transmission. Urghh! At least it's under warranty.

Good luck Larry.

Jim
It wasn't me . If I did buy it I decided I would spec the car myself with the desired options. I would want white -no graphics --or perhaps the understated letterinf of the first post in black.
But it just makes no sense.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sales@Champion
yrralis1,
If your in love with the looks of the 2010+ GT3 however appreciate your PDK C2S for a DD, why dont you install the GT3 Aero Parts on your current car and call it aday =)
It's not about the looks for me.

In fact if appealing aesthetics were the factor I think aerokits in general are not attractive. For me the draw is what the car posseses at the core of its engineering and how that translates into what i feel is the best track 911 Porsche ever made .
I agree with Rosenberrgendo -- I think this car will be an Icon.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
rennlist got a series of posts lately of folks crashing their cars on a track and now 'coochas'`s wife just smashed his gt3s class boxster yesterday at 20th turn at Calabogie.
I think I will go with a spec boxster or smilar small cheap car in the end instead of anything expensinve like gt3 rs when time will come to do a lot of track days and hopefull racing (if I wil not get tired of all this) and 997 car will remain a street/auto-x thing - where it is safe.
it is realy more appealing to me to spend $20k or so on a track only fun car which i can repair relatively easy than to roll $100K 997 or hit it at a wall.

I happen to think that any car on any road poses the risk of a crash. A track is a more controlled environment for faster driving but I do feel there is a false sense of secuirity that for some reason its safe .

An expensive car can even get damaged in ones garage .. so yep if one really wants narrow down risk he might as well keep is money in savings and hope his investments don't fail because even that has risk.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM
rosenbergendo is infamous around these parts
Larry
You sure u wouldn't consider a GT3?
it is slightly more street compliant and 99.9% of an RS. And trust me it is worlds different than both your PDK and your Turbo.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 PM
pureretro is infamous around these parts
I am actually in the market for a 2007/8 GT3 since we realized that the 997S gets used so little anyway (comfort no longer an issue). For me, that occasional track visit is poor justification, but I'd like to own a GT3 before we have kids.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
You will not street drive the car as much as the turbo guaranteed.. I just sold my 997 Gt3 for Turbo.. I drove the Gt3 5x a month maybe.. I have driven my Turbo every day since i bought it 3-4 months ago.. The Gt3 is horrible on the street IMO.. and not because its stiff.. Because to be able to enjoy the motor you MUST MUSt rev it out.. And that mean 120mph in 3rd gear.. Whereas the Turbo you can grab 2nd stomp it feel the TQ, short shift 3rd floor it and let off and feel the enjoyment of the motor.. I found the Gt3 I had to make it scream just to enjoy it and that wasnt a great idea on regular streets.. This is my personal opinion on why I didnt enjoy my gt3 much..

On the track a FREAKING BLAST.. worse is after you have tracked the Gt3 and then you drive on the street you feel handicapped.. There is NOWHERE in FL safe to enjoy some twisties and you can literally leave it in 3rd gear and drive anywhere in FL you want on city streets.. I considered it BORING on the streets of FL.. my .02

Mike

Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
If you get one a radar detector is a must......

I drove a turbo and gt3 before trading in my c4s.....the gt3 has a special soul, you only live once. I have pondered trading mine for a stripped white 2010

My Audi s5 is just plain boring, It sits in the garage and collects dust....

Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I keep thinking I am over the fact that i didn't buy one . Maybe I am .
My white car will be ready any day . The insuance called and told me that they went to the body shop and paid the entire thing above the deductible for the scratch on the door. It was minimal . cost was only 800 .

Prior to the scratch I was offered 75K for my car in trade . Add the tax credit and that makes it close to 80 going into the trade . They probably would list it for 110K . Just the exhaust alone is 7K (beautiful piece) and nope I am not parting it out . I have no desire to haggle with private sale either .

I wrestle with the obvious -
1) i don't really plan to track it .. but maybe I might
2) it's not cheap to make the move
3) there no where really to drive it
4) the pdk is a great DD although I have driven my Turbo the last three days .. and i love that car !!!

It makes no sense for me to buy the car --
AND THEN --I look at this -- and I crumble... This is how i woild spec the exterior BTW --

I keep stopping myself .. but the thoughts of the missed opportunity of this car just lingers

I've been reading your post for some time now. My guess is that you will always be wondering why you didn't do it. In the financial business I use the rocking chair test for such purchases.

Imagine you are in your 80s rocking in your chair and your grandkids ask for some extra cash. Would you be glad you had this money to give to them, or would you be thinking; I wonder what it would have been like. My guess is, for you it would be the latter.

Last edited by Sloopy; 07-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
'10 RS actually has a nice ride on the street. Just bring earplugs for cabin noise. Also torque is just fine from 2500 RPM to redline (linear, not "a shove"). It is a lovely visceral experience and any "true" car guy (and your certainly are yrallis) would love to have one in the garage. If you want one, buy one, and I assure you that you will never regret it.

Attached Images     
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Red face It's a stalemate

So many great replies .
One aspect Mike touched upon was -

"There is NOWHERE in FL safe to enjoy some twisties and you can literally leave it in 3rd gear and drive anywhere in FL you want on city streets.. I considered it BORING on the streets of FL.. my .02"

Factor in what Sayboy says -
"It is a lovely visceral experience and any "true" car guy (and your certainly are yrallis) would love to have one in the garage."

Even if I were a track guy Sebering and palm Beach are a distance and to get there .
There's just nowhere to drive it.

If i was young and into track driving I would have to move to be right next to it. I liked swimming and i did move as a young person to be in a climate to swim outdoors.

Even if i kept it asa street car it takes smooth roads and mountains with adequate climate .. places exist like this .. but not Florida.

When I really think about it -it almost places a damper on having any nice car but I do love my Turbo and I can't imagine it as a DD nor the RS . The PDK car actually makes the most sense with the Turbo , and the region ... for now.

I think the best thing to do is to wait as disappointing as that may sound. Every day which passes I get use out of my current cars. I can always buy the RS (I hope) "tomorrow" and maybe by then the doubts will be replaced with more clarity .

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
So many great replies .
One aspect Mike touched upon was -

"There is NOWHERE in FL safe to enjoy some twisties and you can literally leave it in 3rd gear and drive anywhere in FL you want on city streets.. I considered it BORING on the streets of FL.. my .02"

Factor in what Sayboy says -
"It is a lovely visceral experience and any "true" car guy (and your certainly are yrallis) would love to have one in the garage."

Even if I were a track guy Sebering and palm Beach are a distance and to get there .
There's just nowhere to drive it.

If i was young and into track driving I would have to move to be right next to it. I liked swimming and i did move as a young person to be in a climate to swim outdoors.

Even if i kept it asa street car it takes smooth roads and mountains with adequate climate .. places exist like this .. but not Florida.

When I really think about it -it almost places a damper on having any nice car but I do love my Turbo and I can't imagine it as a DD nor the RS . The PDK car actually makes the most sense with the Turbo , and the region ... for now.

I think the best thing to do is to wait as disappointing as that may sound. Every day which passes I get use out of my current cars. I can always buy the RS (I hope) "tomorrow" and maybe by then the doubts will be replaced with more clarity .

My vote would be Turbo since you will be using as a DD. I too wasn't happy with Targa4S not enough wow factor. So I ordered Turbo S. But I don't think you will be happy until you own the RS. I would say order you will not be happy till you do. If it's not for you the Dep. On RS will not be as bad as a Turbo. You can always go back to Turbo.

Go for it. Life can end in a blink of an eye. No reason to work hard and not enjoy life. Make the call take that first step order the car Tomw. You will not regret but if you do that's what makes life fun learning from dumb half thought out decisions.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The Turbo is certainly a DD. Have you considered that perhaps your power mods in your Turbo are the thing that make it less a DD? I long suggested to you to sell both cars and get a new Turbo PDK. I think that you would enjoy it tremendously.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Gj325-
I already have a Turbo . I also have a 997S .
I considered trading the 997s for the Gt3Rs .

I agree that the Turbo is the ideal street vehicle .
So is the 997S PDK.
But the allure of the Gt3RS .. is better off.. just being an idea to place on hold .

If I had no car . or my driving needs were more suited for an RS .. the choice would be easy .

BUT -- I still would want the Turbo and this thread would be titled --" The Turbo is just not going away".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?