997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
The Turbo is certainly a DD. Have you considered that perhaps your power mods in your Turbo are the thing that make it less a DD? I long suggested to you to sell both cars and get a new Turbo PDK. I think that you would enjoy it tremendously.
Nope --the mods make it the best DD in the world . I am not kidding . My Turbo is incredible.
I would not trade my EVT700 for a PDK 997.2tt if they gave it to me for free and offered me money. And BTW .. I like the new car .. I just happen to LOVE my car !!!!

It's purely emotional --I want to preserve it for as long as I can with low miles in pristine condition -- and that's the only reason . I want to stretch the enjoyment experience of my car.

It's my 997.2PDK that i find the least excitement over --when thinking of all three . But it is practical.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 AM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
I still say you need to go the Porsche driving school first. Have you signed up yet? If it were me, getting the GT3 RS would not even be under consideration until you go and try some of these cars in a performance environment ... especially given the track oriented nature of the RS. You need to get a post-it, put it on the refrigerator, and write "driving school" first and "gt3 rs window shopping" underneath it.

Honestly, I don't know how much money you have to spend on these cars, so if 170K'ish isn't that much and you want depreciating automotive art, then by all means, go ahead.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rkuo
I still say you need to go the Porsche driving school first. Have you signed up yet? If it were me, getting the GT3 RS would not even be under consideration until you go and try some of these cars in a performance environment ... especially given the track oriented nature of the RS. You need to get a post-it, put it on the refrigerator, and write "driving school" first and "gt3 rs window shopping" underneath it.

Honestly, I don't know how much money you have to spend on these cars, so if 170K'ish isn't that much and you want depreciating automotive art, then by all means, go ahead.

All that's required to buy a Gt3RS is a drivers license , insurance, and the price of admission --just like any other car .

Whether an owner drives it on the track or for leisure , or not even at all .. its entirely up to him. That's the case with any car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-17-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 AM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
All that's required to buy a Gt3RS is a drivers license , insurance, and the price of admission --just like any other car .

Whether an owner drives it on the track or for leisure , or not even at all .. its entirely up to him. That's the case with any car.
Yes, obviously it's any man's right to buy and enjoy his car however he likes. I am not arguing about your human right to do so. I simply believe some track experience will take the mystique out of the buying decision and imbue you with a more rational, measured, and broader appreciation for this class of vehicle.

Again, the GT3 RS is a track car. It's simply undeniable that one who has the perspective of track experience will appreciate the car differently and more completely compared to someone else who does not have it.

I realize the wanting and the desire is often more fun than the acquisition itself, but I personally am always of the mind to know more. I don't like leaving things up to my imagination. But that's just me.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Nope --the mods make it the best DD in the world . I am not kidding . My Turbo is incredible.
I would not trade my EVT700 for a PDK 997.2tt if they gave it to me for free and offered me money. And BTW .. I like the new car .. I just happen to LOVE my car !!!!

It's purely emotional --I want to preserve it for as long as I can with low miles in pristine condition -- and that's the only reason . I want to stretch the enjoyment experience of my car.

It's my 997.2PDK that i find the least excitement over --when thinking of all three . But it is practical.
IMO you fall under the garaGe queen type of owner. Nothing at all wrong with that. You are king, you know what makes you happy and you are looking for the most impressive queen to put in the garage.

You drive on public roads at normal speeds and that's enough enjoyment for you. The Porsche is like owning a piece of art. You might as well own the best. And that's the simple reason why the feeling won't go away

All kings fell they deserve the best and the gt3 rs is the best.

Last edited by buck986; 07-17-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute

Even if I were a track guy Sebering and palm Beach are a distance and to get there .
There's just nowhere to drive it.

If i was young and into track driving I would have to move to be right next to it.
Amazing how the perception of distance compresses when you know you have a delicious day of tracking waiting for you hehe..just sayin'. MDrums and TrakCar will show you the ropes!

"Young and track driving"... I frequently share a certain track with a 72 year old, cancer fighting, GT2 driver. He is a fast **** and a very nice guy. He takes a nap between driving sessions. How can I not be inspired?

Originally Posted by rkuo
Yes, obviously it's any man's right to buy and enjoy his car however he likes. I am not arguing about your human right to do so. I simply believe some track experience will take the mystique out of the buying decision and imbue you with a more rational, measured, and broader appreciation for this class of vehicle.

Again, the GT3 RS is a track car. It's simply undeniable that one who has the perspective of track experience will appreciate the car differently and more completely compared to someone else who does not have it.

I realize the wanting and the desire is often more fun than the acquisition itself, but I personally am always of the mind to know more. I don't like leaving things up to my imagination. But that's just me.
*Wisdom and sage advice*

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
IMO you fall under the garaGe queen type of owner. Nothing at all wrong with that. You are king, you know what makes you happy and you are looking for the most impressive queen to put in the garage.

You drive on public roads at normal speeds and that's enough enjoyment for you. The Porsche is like owning a piece or art. You might as well own the best. And that's the simple reason why the feeling won't go away

All kings fell they deserve the best and the gt3 rs is the best.
Werd!

Ok, I am going back to the GT3 forum now...lol.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
If it was me, I'd be all over one of these things:
http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
tbh.... I havn't even driven my RS for over a year now... one thing is that I can't drive mine on street, another thing is I havn't got the time to take it to the track either
I was gonna register it for street use, but then I also have a C4S for that purpose....
its really one of those cars that will just sit in your garage if you have another porsche as DD.

but then, I'm in HK... there are just no roads for me to take advantage of the RS, if my car was in North America, I wouldn't mind DD in it.

Last edited by Crea; 07-17-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sayboy

Werd!

Ok, I am going back to the GT3 forum now...lol.
maybe werd but true.

Mnay new buyers who come here who insist they will buy only a low milage car or are told that once a porsche reaches 10K miles it takes a depreciation hit and they should only buy low milage examples.

Well if theres a market for those cars it is because there are many owners who are happy to let them sit in garages and stay in pristine shape while they keep the miles low.

3000 miles a year equates to about 50 hours of driving a year. One hour a week when you have one of the finest examples of performance machines sitting in their garages. If that brings them enjoyment so be it. The next owner reaps the benefits.

This thread is nothing new. Its about wanting something you really don't need but you really want because it makes you feel good inside.

Simple pysch stuff.

Last edited by buck986; 07-17-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Well if it helps make your decision, my Dad just traded in his brand new LP550.2 Balboni Gallardo against a new 2011 GT3RS. By all accounts he prefers it to the Lambo, in fact he says its actually more comfortable and softer than the Balboni!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Dave-

Great photographs of your father's car. Well done.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
That looks sooo good!

Living vicariously thru the net...Wish him tons of smiles!!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Well --I have decided to wait and get the full use out of ther PDk car.
The RS .. will always linger and there's always the possibility of it. Just not yet .
I'd have to be certain .

The advice I usually give to others with cars they have doubts on is "when in doubt .. don't buy it."

I can't say I feel I lost anything because i do love my Turbo so much and the PDK which of the two cars is the one which woild be traded in does have some practical aspects .

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 AM
///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts
Yrralis,

I COMPLETELY understand you. I am in the same boat. I've been on a research quest for the past 3 months for a GT3. My wife bought a Cayenne & the GT3 literally grabbed my psyche while at the dealer. I instantly got attached to it just by thinking about and then doing the research got me hooked.

My wife beat me to the punch in owning a Porsche with the Cayenne. LOL. I want the GT3 but I just can't seem to take the plunge due to my wife giving me conflicting statements of "It only has 2 seats, get the Turbo instead. BUT if you really want the GT3- just get it. I get more confused with my wife.lol. Then Lately I started thinking about the GTR (only b/c of the "practicality of the bigger trunk & rear seats...BUT I say no to the GTR and lean towards the TT THEN-I keep circling back to the GT3!

I feel ya on the GT3/Gt3RS!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by ///M*Hershey
Yrralis,

I COMPLETELY understand you. I am in the same boat. I've been on a research quest for the past 3 months for a GT3. My wife bought a Cayenne & the GT3 literally grabbed my psyche while at the dealer. I instantly got attached to it just by thinking about and then doing the research got me hooked.

My wife beat me to the punch in owning a Porsche with the Cayenne. LOL. I want the GT3 but I just can't seem to take the plunge due to my wife giving me conflicting statements of "It only has 2 seats, get the Turbo instead. BUT if you really want the GT3- just get it. I get more confused with my wife.lol. Then Lately I started thinking about the GTR (only b/c of the "practicality of the bigger trunk & rear seats...BUT I say no to the GTR and lean towards the TT THEN-I keep circling back to the GT3!

I feel ya on the GT3/Gt3RS!

Despite the similarilties of our Gt3 ideas there is one big difference . I already have two Porsches Vs you are about to take the plunge .

The two seats are pretty much useless unless you have children (which i don't but maybe you do -- and if so it makes more sense to have the extra room ).

If I only had to buy one car --it would be the Turbo . Based on the descriptions of what you enjoy inn driving I picked the Gt3 for you .

In my case the Gt3 RS would be the "other" car.
Even though i found the stock Turbo boring --my car is NOT --but it took 18 months and almost the cost of buying two Turbos to create my car.

The new Turbo is actually the better STOCK car (comparing stock to stock) . But it can not be modified to the caliber of the Evt700 . YET.

Many of the normally aspirated guys don't have any interest in the Turbo car and BTW most of the Turbo guys could care less because they do have a lot of respect for the gt3 but don't see the sense to it for the street .

I feel the best is to have BOTH.
But i already have two cars . In my case the huge discounts in 2009 plus the appeal of the new PDK was the draw into the 997s.

Of all thec cars the 997s is the weak link . It's practical for street.. but NOt a Turbo .

It's good for track --but NOT a Gt3 .

The 997S is the jock of all but the master of none .

That's the stalemate .

In my case .. if I hadn't bought my PDK car I probably would have bought a regular Gt3 which is somewhat of a compromise but to lose money on my car to buy an even more expense RS which I won't really drive much .. just seems to make no sense.

I can't decide for you unless you buy BOTH .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-18-2010 at 02:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?