997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?

I keep thinking I am over the fact that i didn't buy one . Maybe I am .
My white car will be ready any day . The insuance called and told me that they went to the body shop and paid the entire thing above the deductible for the scratch on the door. It was minimal . cost was only 800 .

Prior to the scratch I was offered 75K for my car in trade . Add the tax credit and that makes it close to 80 going into the trade . They probably would list it for 110K . Just the exhaust alone is 7K (beautiful piece) and nope I am not parting it out . I have no desire to haggle with private sale either .

I wrestle with the obvious -
1) i don't really plan to track it .. but maybe I might
2) it's not cheap to make the move
3) there no where really to drive it
4) the pdk is a great DD although I have driven my Turbo the last three days .. and i love that car !!!

It makes no sense for me to buy the car --
AND THEN --I look at this -- and I crumble... This is how i woild spec the exterior BTW --

I keep stopping myself .. but the thoughts of the missed opportunity of this car just lingers

Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The GT3 is something that always on my mind, I would love one too. If you want one and can afford I saw do it!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute

Jason

Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Maybe because it's the most pure incantation of the 911 model available today?

Oh, and it's sexy...

I think you should get it. I am gonna want one in a few years and would prefer one without track miles. Please insist on sunroof delete, lightweight battery and headlights and A/C delete wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
So i see that I am not alone .
So what stops you guys?
It can't only be the cost .. many of you guys spend nearly what an RS costs modding the 997S.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
many of you guys spend nearly what an RS costs modding the 997S.
I just cried a little. If I could go back in time, things would certainly be different. Not to say I dont love my car... but I am too deep at this point.

Jason

Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Reading your posts for some time, and being consistently impressed by your thoughtfulness and analytical perspective, it seems that this car has moved from a passing interest or impulse buy, to a perpetual desire. A lust for a new machine that simply won't rest.
Although I was always surprised when you bought the white car I guess you needed an interesting DD because your care for your TT (much as I feel for my Ford GT) precludes it from being a DD.
So the only challenge remaining is trading in the PDK car for the RS leaving no Porsche as a DD (or so it seems).
Other than that, you've held off long enough to move from an impulse buy to a thoughtful purchase that will satisfy you for quite some time.
I surely say go for it. Though it is possible that these cars will continue to improve as they have, the changing Eco perspective, CAFE requirements, financial challenges in the target market, the risk of a negative impact from Porsche's new parent all make me think that these may be the best cars for some time to come.
Sincerely best of luck with this most excellent problem.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Reading your posts for some time, and being consistently impressed by your thoughtfulness and analytical perspective, it seems that this car has moved from a passing interest or impulse buy, to a perpetual desire. A lust for a new machine that simply won't rest.
Although I was always surprised when you bought the white car I guess you needed an interesting DD because your care for your TT (much as I feel for my Ford GT) precludes it from being a DD.
So the only challenge remaining is trading in the PDK car for the RS leaving no Porsche as a DD (or so it seems).
Other than that, you've held off long enough to move from an impulse buy to a thoughtful purchase that will satisfy you for quite some time.
I surely say go for it. Though it is possible that these cars will continue to improve as they have, the changing Eco perspective, CAFE requirements, financial challenges in the target market, the risk of a negative impact from Porsche's new parent all make me think that these may be the best cars for some time to come.
Sincerely best of luck with this most excellent problem.

Verde -- whatever profession you have chosen .. I have a new one to suggest .. Porsche therapist .

I am going have to read your post a few times and let it digest because you have very carefully taken the time to hit the nail on the head with so much of my sentiment.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Any of you guys ever seen a U-Haul behind a hearse?..

Me either.. which just goes to prove, "You can't take it with you..." If you want the RS, then by all means, pull the trigger... you know you wanna do it..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Could you deal with the possibility of this happening?

http://jalopnik.com/5582595/if-the-p...it-on-the-curb

Last edited by sizquik; 07-15-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Verde -- whatever profession you have chosen .. I have a new one to suggest .. Porsche therapist .

I am going have to read your post a few times and let it digest because you have very carefully taken the time to hit the nail on the head with so much of my sentiment.
Wait until the next major market dip over the next year or 2. This country is still living in la-la land.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Larry I want a GT3/RS too...but can't afford 1 nor drive one due to the clutch...need a PDK for me.
It is a stunning car and to me what smybolizes Porsche and their DNA.

If you like this then get a GT3/RS

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You still want the GT3RS because you haven't driven one....

You've seen Excellence right? GT2RS!! How crazy is that!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Larry,

If you buy the RS, then be prepared to use the TT as DD.

RS does not make a good DD. It is also much slower in a straight line compared to your TT. Think some more...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Larry,

If you buy the RS, then be prepared to use the TT as DD.

RS does not make a good DD. It is also much slower in a straight line compared to your TT. Think some more...
I know . even the sales guys try and talk me out of it . They want me to be happy and would gladly sell me any car .

Maybe you're right.
I do realize the Turbo is a monster and every practical aspect of the PDK makes so much sense yet I look at the RS and see it as the greatest piece of automotive art that Porsche has made with the 997 line .

It's hard to pass it by.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is this GT3RS thing not going away ?