997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need some wisdom, my corp role was eliminated...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by afletche
John - leave, take the severance package (try to negotiate it higher first) and have a kickass vacation. you will never be happy at that company after this, so unless you can suck it up until you retire it is time to move on. if you don't do it now, when will you? are you willing to stay there forever? if you stick around you have zero leverage.

i did the same thing just recently. it's a sign - in 6 months you will look back and wonder why you stayed so long!

The best time to look for a job is while you have one.

Keep your job. Do it well. Look for networking opps and go find a better one.

Best of luck

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
- I think that it's much easier to land a new job if you're employed, vs unemployed.

- I was in a similar spot 4 years ago (8 years with the company then, now 12), job eliminated, had to interview for a different job. Had two 'offers': one was at the same level, but it wasn't as interesting as one that was a step back, but same pay. I took the step back, and was recently promoted back to where I was 4-6 years ago. I feel it's worked out well for me and my family, and I like the new role. 6 months ago, I found that my new role might be eliminated. For now, things worked out that I'm keeping my position for another 12 months, but then things might change again. Change is very common at my company, and I've learned to deal with it. I'm not saying I embrace it, or like it, but I deal with it. Another way I look at it is - change is good but uncertainty is bad. I may be in a different spot, though, as I really do like my company and prefer to stay there long term.
Don't look at it as a sign of weakness if you take the new role, see it as taking the high road and not being so petty and title-conscious as others. A positive attitude goes a long way, not just for your own well being, but career-wise. At least at my company, that is a valued trait.

- my wife was unemployed from her healthcare VP job for about one year and it was hell. She's now back in the game, in a better position at a better firm, but that 12 months was pretty depressing...

- my 2 cents - decide now if you want to stay long term. If you decide you want to go, don't compromise on that - unless things fundamentally change for the better. Then, suck it up in the short term and take the new role. If you decide to stay - great. If you decide to go, at least you're not out there as an unemployed person like all the others.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
Friends, I learned this afternoon, on the eve of a long-planned 2 week vacation, and on the heels of committing to buy a 1987 Carrera 3.2, that my job was eliminated.

Build me up, man, I'm in the dumps!
CATTMAN (John)
It happens. Do not do any stupid moves, keep your calm, reduce any communication to minimum possible limit but do not quit and start looking for new position very actively using your personal network.

In this current economy there is a very strong preference for employed candidates, it is very dangerous to go off payroll. Emotions aside any job is just a job, I have had many before and will have more - you need your paycheck so mke sur it still comes on regular basis.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
this is what i would do.
1. accept the new position
2. go to your vacation and enjoy
3. come back and start the new position and come up with game plan to tackle your new problem.
4. when looking for a job, one of the first question employer asks is if you are employed, if not it opens up a whole new worm of cans.
5. be smart, be safe - at the end of the day it's only a job. you have your family and your health.

I was in a similar situation and i found out a day before thanks giving. I was like F it, went into Tiffany's bought my wife one year annivarsary gift, bought myself 500$ Gucci pants. Felt good. LOL. Then came home, hired resume writer and fixed it all up. Took the package and started to look for a new job. found few in 2 months. I had 4 months pay, so i was still good. Corp. America sucks but it's better than what you have in 3rd world country though. If the sever. pkg is good, take it and start your own business, be your own boss. Will never be in this situation again.

Good luck Sire.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
I would not accept either option until both were fuly negotiated. You may know which path you're on, but don't let the company know until you have to. This buys time to get al your ducks in a row.

the decision to stay or leave depends on your assessment of several factors, including the severance package, the new job, pay and benefits, future opportunities, and how well you Ofit" in with the current group. A realistic assessment of the job market and your marketability is also important, but it is hard to get facts and because it is the unknown factor it is easy to be over concerned or scared about it.
the next several days will likely be very emotional. Steel your nerves to prepare for a serious and very personal (emotional) negotiation that may drag on (what company moves fast?).
good luck - with good preparation you won't need it.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
aaahhh buddy.....I feel like a total jerkoff....I never saw this thread yesterday I NEVER would have sent u that email.......SH_T!
Sorry to hear this. Please except my apologies

Jim

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I live in the Corporate America Grindstone every day. Not sure whether it's worth it.....

I'd say that you should take what they've offered you and start looking around for another job. Don't give up a salary without another one ready and waiting.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Illinicane is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
this is what i would do.
1. accept the new position
2. go to your vacation and enjoy
3. come back and start the new position and come up with game plan to tackle your new problem.
4. when looking for a job, one of the first question employer asks is if you are employed, if not it opens up a whole new worm of cans.
5. be smart, be safe - at the end of the day it's only a job. you have your family and your health.
I could not have said it better.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
John,

It seems like everyone is giving you great advice, as an employer, I will say that these aren't easy decisions to make. I will say that I would do what I can to retain my best employees, which sounds like they have done.

Good Luck and enjoy the Vacation.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
I don't know you but last October I was made redundant from my role after coming back from my Wedding and Honeymoon! So your situation could be a lot worse. I previously worked for the Dubai Govt's property arm Nakheel and all but 1/4 of the 4000+ staff were made redundant like I.

In the end we all bounce back and you certainly have options. It took me two months and a chance encounter that enabled me to land my present role (right time, right place kind of fluke). If you don't take the offer you could be waiting a while to find new employment.

Some great advice above...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Dude that's crappy, but could also be the beginning of the best thing in your life

There's a rhythm to life, and I truly believe stuff happens for a reason. Enjoy the holidays, enjoy the family and when you come back figure out the next step in your life. But don't make any emotional decisions, never works....

pm sent....

Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
John,

Sorry to hear man.

Enjoy your vacation, take the other position, and start looking for something better.

Let's hit the mountains for a nice drive. That will help your outlook!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Is it just me or is the recurring theme I see in this thread disturbing? Employers prefer already employed candidates over the ones who REALLY need a job? No wonder our job market is in the dumps!

This is not against John or others on this thread, just an observation of how the job market is viewed from our mutual perspectives. I also agree, companies seem more interested in hiring talent from another company than to pick up someone off the streets who is not working.

Gotta love the corporate lifestyle! LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Is it just me or is the recurring theme I see in this thread disturbing? Employers prefer already employed candidates over the ones who REALLY need a job? No wonder our job market is in the dumps!

This is not against John or others on this thread, just an observation of how the job market is viewed from our mutual perspectives. I also agree, companies seem more interested in hiring talent from another company than to pick up someone off the streets who is not working.

Gotta love the corporate lifestyle! LOL

Disturbing indeed and reflecting a prejudiced closed mind attitude. They are restricting their sample quite a bit. Perhaps they are only interested in 'ole boy network' types.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Disturbing indeed and reflecting a prejudiced closed mind attitude. They are restricting their sample quite a bit. Perhaps they are only interested in 'ole boy network' types.
Not at all. One of the other posters noted that, as an employer, these are difficult decisions and one tries to keep/retain one's best/most skilled employees (which the OPs employer has done). Thus, the best/most skilled people are the most likely to remain employed and are the likely to be the most desirable to a prospective employer, not merely because they are already employed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some wisdom, my corp role was eliminated...