997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AIM Smartycam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:31 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
AIM Smartycam

Here is sample video I did today at Devens. It is smartycam with ODB2 interface to my can, connected directly to ODB2 port, numbers are engine temp, intake air temp and MAF sensor output. RPM, speed are coming from ECU, it is possible to get them from GPS instead.
windshield mounted with this:
http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-i...era-mount.html
run was with NCR, my car is #222, I was not fastest by far but who cares.

Can`t wait to try it on a track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2_4DTx60w

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-17-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
to northvan - you can see in turns it did up to 1.4g, it is finally measured.
we had that discussion a while ago...

and here it is what happens when tires are overheated and car is pushed too much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNGGKmWm7g

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Its cool but audio sounds like you are underwater. Where is the mic?

Also, where does the GPS data come from? The AIM unit?

dr

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by machina
Its cool but audio sounds like you are underwater. Where is the mic?

Also, where does the GPS data come from? The AIM unit?

dr
underwater effect is due to a usage of overconfigured noise removal filter during video procesing. secon video also had id applied but with more reasonable settings.

yes external mic can be used, but it is not a priority for me. aim unit itself has an embedded gps sensor and now it comes with an external sensor on a cord also if you decide to mount camera in the middle of the car under the roof. extrnal sensor is better but i did not try to use it yet.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
What kind of tires are you using? Still the A6? It looks like you lifted right before your spins. Nice Set up with the AIM system.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
What kind of tires are you using? Still the A6? It looks like you lifted right before your spins. Nice Set up with the AIM system.
kumho v700 shaved. they holded me perfectly whole day.

last run it was freaking hot outside, track was about of 110 degrees, outside was 100 and you can see intake air temperature.

rear tires were 37psi cold, went to 40-42psi hot and stayed there for most time of day, after last run they were at 45psi. i did not lift i think (or may be I did) - i just felt tires were screaming differently then they started to melt and then car went spinning. i had to spray them before last run but it was too hot and i was tired.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
kumho v700 shaved. they holded me perfectly whole day.

last run it was freaking hot outside, track was about of 110 degrees, outside was 100 and you can see intake air temperature.

rear tires were 37psi cold, went to 40-42psi hot and stayed there for most time of day, after last run they were at 45psi. i did not lift i think (or may be I did) - i just felt tires were screaming differently then they started to melt and then car went spinning. i had to spray them before last run but it was too hot and i was tired.
I don't Autox and I haven't tried Kumho's, but I would imagine that the 45 PSI was too high. I start my R6's at 27 cold on a 70-80 degree day. I am sure the tire pressures made the handling a lot worse then it should have been even on the hot day. The good news is that you are there to learn and that a spin in a controlled environment is a great way to learn about car control.