997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cheap horsepower?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Volant997
Jim,

If you have an '05 I'd suggest to you and others with an 05 to sit tight before pulling the trigger on this kit. We have run into something of a snag in loading up the software into the "orphan", "unique", "bit different", or however you'd like to characterize it, ECU that is at the heart of the 05 997...

The good news is I do believe I have one of the very best minds as it relates to Porsche working the issue. I'm confident TPC and Mike Levitas will resolve this and come up with a workable solution -- the only point being I don't think any of us know for certain what the eventual solution will be... he's got a couple more ideas to try.

Also, fortunately, TPC is absolutely committed to doing it "right way" which means it will be safe and reliable with factory-like driving characteristics. At least that's what I've been promised

BUT - we are where we are with no solution yet - so stayed tuned if you own an '05. Otherwise 996 and 06 997 and later owners - have at it!

Eric
Hi Eric. This is kind of ominous sounding! Shouldn't the
ECU be the same or nearly identical on a 997 especially from 05 to 06?. I hope it hasn't screwed up what was a killer car to start with! First do no harm!!
Jim

Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Casey,

What is different from your software then say a Softronic, EVOMSit, APR, etc? I would imagine that yours changes the same parameters. Why haven't we heard problems with any of these flashes on 05's? IIRC Stacy's car had his flash redone when he had his VF SC kit on it. Not trying to call you out, just curious.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Thanks for explaining that Casey.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
All,

We have been discussing this alot around the shop recently. The 2005 ECU has the processor area of the 2004 yet it needs to do the work that is required for a 2006 Car... There is the problem. We do something very cool to the ECUs in these car to make the function to our liking... We basically rewrite it to square 1 to emulate what a 997 Turbo ecu does... It is capable of working at multiple load levels up to 198% of stock.

I wont try to go into the technical aspects of it as my knowledge is quite limited.

I will say that going forward for the 2005 car we have a pretty nice trick up our sleeve... When it is official i will let the cat out of the bag but as of right now it is still something that is in testing. We have 4 pending orders for 2005 cars so we will make this perfect for those owners. Stay tuned...
I wonder what the Porsche techno-geeks that wrote the ECU initially would say about this-maybe a conspiracy to keep the cars underpowered/in their proper pecking order?
Jim

Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Nah, it is just evolution... they get better and more complicated every year.
What about this though Casey. My local P shop guy who is quite good said he was fairly sure that any FI changes to my car (05 C2S) would result in my car not passing CA emission standards. Is this an important factor for those of us on the left coast with these mods??
Jim

Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 AM
The car will react just fine with emissions out put(sniffer) and there will be no CEL... In MD and about 48 other states that is what you need to pass... CA has a "visual" inspection... That is the difficulty. I have been working on getting our Cayman (987) turbo system CARB approved... and still am, so stay tuned.
Wow. This is a pretty big deal. I wonder how the Californians with these changes sneak by! He said something as well about it being illegal even for them to install these.

Jim

Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Wow. This is a pretty big deal. I wonder how the Californians with these changes sneak by! He said something as well about it being illegal even for them to install these.

Jim
How? Use your imagination.

One thing, as was pointed-out to me weeks ago, is that when you buy a brand-new car today, you don't have to smog it in CA for 7 years. (that initial grace period used to be just 4 years after-purchase) So hey, a '05, for example, will be due for its very first smog insp. next year. 7 years is a nice period of time to have some fun before you have to pay the piper and get your inspection. Many don't keep their cars that long.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
How? Use your imagination.

One thing, as was pointed-out to me weeks ago, is that when you buy a brand-new car today, you don't have to smog it in CA for 7 years. (that initial grace period used to be just 4 years after-purchase) So hey, a '05, for example, will be due for its very first smog insp. next year. 7 years is a nice period of time to have some fun before you have to pay the piper and get your inspection. Many don't keep their cars that long.
Still though the thought of having to tear everything down, reprogram an ECU etc.....
Jim