997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

05 Cab Top Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
spgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nice
05 Cab Top Issue

Greetings all. I was wondering if anyone has encountered a sporadic issue with their cabriolet top where it either fails to open or close. I've had some issues with mine where when opening, I would receive an error message "Conv Top not at Posit Limit". I found that if I drive a few miles and try again, it works. I've taken it to the dealer, however there were no error codes; consequently they indicated that there wasn't much they could do. Today, I ran into the same situation when looking to close the top. I installed a SmartTop a couple of weeks back, however I was experiencing opening issues before that. Naturally, a convertible that cannot open is an inconvenience; however one that can't close is destined to become a swimming pool. Thanks in advance for any diagnostic advice.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spgmfo
Greetings all. I was wondering if anyone has encountered a sporadic issue with their cabriolet top where it either fails to open or close. I've had some issues with mine where when opening, I would receive an error message "Conv Top not at Posit Limit". I found that if I drive a few miles and try again, it works. I've taken it to the dealer, however there were no error codes; consequently they indicated that there wasn't much they could do. Today, I ran into the same situation when looking to close the top. I installed a SmartTop a couple of weeks back, however I was experiencing opening issues before that. Naturally, a convertible that cannot open is an inconvenience; however one that can't close is destined to become a swimming pool. Thanks in advance for any diagnostic advice.
I have had the same error message......to lazy to bring it in. I just open and close it again

Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Nice car

Once in a while mine will stop and give me that error message, but I think it is usually due to some sort of interruption such as opening a door to re-close it, hitting the button wrong, etc. I have a SmarTop too, and I think sometimes I'm not sure my one-touch has worked (due to the slight delay in seeing any roof movement), so I do it again, and this confuses the system. If I wait a few seconds and activate the button again, it usually completes the sequence fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
I have a SmarTOP installed as well... the only time I see this issue is if I interrupt the opening and closing by doing something else - usually inserting the key in the ignition, etc..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
My advice: Get it checked out.

I had the same issues and errors on my '05 997 Cab S. It seemed to get progressively worse. At first I thought it was a just a bad sensor as the top appeared to fully deploy and retract....however, one day the cab got stuck while opening...and I needed to use the tool kit to fully retract it. (What a royal PITA.)

It took two trips to fully diagnose and repair (~ $750 parts & labor). Apparently, the left cab piston was leaking which caused the cab top to twist a few mm during deployment. Over time, this misalignment also affected the motor on the right flap.

I recently spoke to an indy P-mechanic who advises his flock to only move the top when the car is on a flat surface and at a complete standstill. (This counters what Porsche says about deployment at slow speeds.)

If you aren't already familiar with how to manually close the cab top...make sure you read up.

Originally Posted by spgmfo