997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pdk -- (manual Vs auto)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Larry, on the street I drive in manual mode about 99% of the time. Only time I am in auto mode is when I am drinking a water or on the phone. Then I will pop it over to auto for a few minutes. If in Auto in am in sport mode so that the engine is not lugging itself. When I am shifting with manual, out to dinner with the wife, in traffic ect I am in normal mode.

Only time I use Sport+ is at the track....I do not race on the street so no needs for Sport + for me on the road. At the trak Sport Plus is a must.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Larry, on the street I drive in manual mode about 99% of the time. Only time I am in auto mode is when I am drinking a water or on the phone. Then I will pop it over to auto for a few minutes. If in Auto in am in sport mode so that the engine is not lugging itself. When I am shifting with manual, out to dinner with the wife, in traffic ect I am in normal mode.

Only time I use Sport+ is at the track....I do not race on the street so no needs for Sport + for me on the road. At the trak Sport Plus is a must.

This is quite similar to my selection except I won't shift in normal mode. I feel that sport auto almost gets it right but dislike the occasional jolt into 1st and also dislike that at 55 MPH even with an override to 7th the slightest blip of the throttle and it downshifts.

I do find it tedious to have the seven gears over the traditional 6 of a manual. It means more shifting .

Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I have a PDK for almost 2 years now and it is great gearbox. But I think I will go back to a manual in my next Porsche.... I never use the manual mode as it is silly for daily driving.... Also, the PDK changes the character of the car.... I feel like I am driving a luxury car instead of a sport car.....

Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 AM
reebokzed is infamous around these parts
for a city stuffed up with traffic and stop signs, leave ur pdk to auto seems to be rational

Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
I have an 09C2S 6MT and I've never driven a PDK. But I've heard so many good things about it and I'm sure it's an awesome transmission. I think it would depend on your mood. If you're stuck in traffic or just want a leisurely drive and have a pleasant conversation with your passenger, then drive in Auto. But when you want to do some spirited driving, the Manual would be an awesome alternative. Best of both worlds, I guess.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums

Ditto.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
The 1st month or so, I essentially left mine in auto mode (for the break-in period - kinda). It seemed like it was always lugging the engine - in almost all conditions. Plus I was experiencing allot of the 'soot' from the exhaust. It also seems to have reduced the oil consumption!

Since then, I am 99 - 100% in manual mode, usually trying to keep the revs above 3K. One of my passengers said I was a control freak - maybe so, but it keeps me in the gear I want at all times, plus the soot issue has almost disappeared. My garage floor is clean again (except for the existing soot stains).

All of my P-cars have been manuals - I would never considered anything else. Now I am still amazed how much I like PDK (but only in manual mode). I do not have the SC, but will be ordering the software upgrade this week - can't wait to see what sport/sport plus modes are like, as well as a launch or two.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
dsanto is infamous around these parts
It depends on how I'm driving the car. Aggressively then manual but just cruising to work or stuck in traffic auto works great. Good to have choices and still trying to get used to the steering wheel buttons.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 AM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
i love rowing the boat, something about getting involved with driving the car; more rewarding that way. don't really care about gas mileage or shift times. sad to see more and more automakers go the automated-manual route (i.e., ferrari, lamborghini, bmw to some extent) - hope porsche keeps the 6speed down the line.

drove the pdk before, was nifty, shifted blazingly fast at the limit, didn't like how it engages in stop and go traffic, but that's just my opinion.

mmmm run-on sentences

Last edited by mike87; 09-17-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I have paddles in my 335i and use them 95% of the time. Don't encounter bumper/bumper traffic but one day a week and that is the only time I am out of sport mode. Using them is much more engaging driving experience. If I had a PDK, I am 100% sure I would drive it the same way......albeit MUCH MUCH more engaging than my Steptronic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.