997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Peeling Factory Painted Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 AM
frankie997 is infamous around these parts
Peeling Factory Painted Wheels

Hello all. I am new to the Porsche family. Last week I bought a new 2009 997s.
I think i slept in it every night since. Two of my wheels needed to be repainted because they were peeling. It seems as thought they were not preped right at the factory. Cherry Hill Porsche in New Jersey and the Hartung Family and my great friend Mel could not have been better to deal with. THE BEST IN FACT. The wheels are perfect now. My question is ... has anyone had a similar problem? Also what is the best way to maintain them?
Frankie

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do you have photo's? I have seen wheel paint bubble over time (usually due to winter salt), but never on a relatively new car.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM
It just seem like they were not preped at the factory right they are all fixed now
When I stop driving and start washing I'll post some photos

Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Never heard of that, but I guess it is possible. Are you sure the wheels are the ones that came on the car from the factory? You said the car was a 2009, so it has obviously been sitting around for a while. Dealers should not be changing wheels off of a new car to trade to someone else, but dealers are dealers, so who knows what they will do. I personally would have asked for new wheels. Wheels get a lot of abuse with all the brake dust and heat. I would be concerned that the paint might peel again in the future.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
They are factory installed and are on the build sheet. I don't think that i'll have an issue down the line. A Porsche rep had looked them over as well The dealer is very honest plus I have a relationship with them I have purchased a new Defender 90 and last year a E350 4matic wagon for my wife. I have plans for a factory delivery for another down the road. I have been bitten!
Worst case we'll just have them power coated.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
There is always some room for error in any production wheel or other items for that matter. We have seen brand new wheels out of the box with issues.... Remember there is always the possibility...

My partner does production work for one of the giants and from time to time one will get through for some reason, 99.9% of the time it's a production error sent to us from the wheel manufacture, even though they pass through x-rays they seem to still get by once in a while, but lucky we have a QC inspector in line to detect items as such.

-Eli

Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
off topic, but is this a brand new car that has been sitting on the lot? or just new to you (pre-owned). just curious as to what kind of discount you got if it were a left over NEW 2009.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
never use wheel cleaners, even if they say it's for painted wheels or whatever.

always wash and scrub with water and soap. if there is a spot that can't be cleaned, use a little of the wheel cleaner but be sure to wet the wheel and rinse within 10 seconds.

i have found all wheel cleaner to be extremely bad for the paint, chrome.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
brand new sticker was 101 and change out the door mid 80's
it was on the show room floor
i was looking at a E 6.3 and my wife TOLD me to buy the car she saw in the window.
after 22 years i do as i am told

Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Eli,
Is power coating an option?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
Definitley would have asked for wheels to be replaced rather than repaired on a brand new car. Also, would have expected a bigger discount on a 2009 left over, since thay now have 2011's on the lot.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by frankie997
Eli,
Is power coating an option?

We stay clear of PC here, for several reasons, I've made mention of them time and time again yet people have their own ideas but as for me after covering this topic with a few friend of mine who are in the metal finishing, cutting and in general, we had around 100-years of experience all together in the various industries. Here are a few....

1. The heat needed to bake and soften the powder is just too much and is subject to a brittle structure. We use a hard-baked finish which allows us to control how much heat is applied since we are not doing it to melt powder we have control over how much heat is applied and how much time we leave them in bake.

2. Most PC people don't take the time to prep the wheels properly and so the old finish most of the time is never removed or prepared for PC. this is the case 95% of the time when you hear people say, "I only paid $50 per wheel for PC"....

3. Take a knee the next time someone tells you they had their wheels PC, you'll notice Orange peel 90% of the time or you'll notice if the wheels had engravings they will be filled in with PC as it is thick which also adds weight to the wheels if they lay it on thick.

There are some other issues but these are some of the key ones,,,,

You can read more here: http://www.fastforwardwheels.com/Process.html

-Eli