997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New found appreciation for my 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:44 AM
|
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
New found appreciation for my 997

I have had my eye on a gallardo the past few weeks and finally got some free time to go check it out. As expected the car was stunning and in excellent condition but roomy it is not. Obviously these cars are not made for anyone near 6ft or over. Now I have driven the spyder(very uncomfortable) but thought the coupe might have more headroom but it didn't. Now, point of thread...As I got into my 911 to head home, I realized how accommodating the 911 is for us tall folk. The view is open and airy. Seat position is great (though still feel seats are ok). Truly the everyday exotic. Now if
they would just trim down on production so I won't see so many on the road!

Old 07-24-2010 | 11:03 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
I have no issues fitting into any of these cars, since I'm distinctly average in height and build but I will say, I do *love* the 911, I think it's so hard to beat at what it does. I've been tempted to change to a 430/gallardo/r8 but I can't do it, there's something about the 911 that just makes it the perfect car for what I need.

Old 07-24-2010 | 11:21 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
The 911 is truly an everyday supercar

I'm only 5'10" and i find the G pretty roomy but I agree the 911 is even roomier. I LOVE my 911 and it honestly does everything I want it to with much less fan fair than my G.

I thought all the attention would be cool but it just turned out to be annoying.

It does make a great weekend driver. i would recommend it to anyone that wants a easy to use exotic.

Old 07-24-2010 | 11:24 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
I'm only 5'10" and i find the G pretty roomy but I agree the 911 is even roomier. I LOVE my 911 and it honestly does everything I want it to with much less fan fair than my G.

I thought all the attention would be cool but it just turned out to be annoying.

It does make a great weekend driver. i would recommend it to anyone that wants a easy to use exotic.
Well if you're really that fed up with the Lambo, I'll give it a home for you Maybe you can drop it off when you come for a few beers!

Old 07-24-2010 | 11:27 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
LOL, I'm down with the beers

and your welcomed to drive the Lambo anytime you want. Just bring her back clean and full of gas

Old 07-24-2010 | 11:55 AM
FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
Having spent time in a 997 recently I have to agree with the OP that it's so accommodating. I don't think i could call it an exotic but that term is extremely subjective and YMMV. The G really has never done much for me but maybe that would change if i got some seat time :-).

Old 07-24-2010 | 02:10 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you are looking for Italian exotic go sit in the Ferrari F360 or 430. Great seat profile, room for tall guys so so forth. Yes the Lambo has no room inside and is cramped.

Old 07-24-2010 | 02:16 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
and your welcomed to drive the Lambo anytime you want. Just bring her back clean and full of gas
Beers? You mean mojitos

Old 07-24-2010 | 03:07 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. My 911 is very roomy, especially with the sports seats.

I was thinking about a G a year or so ago, but it was very cramped when I drove it... too cramped actually. And the spider is even worse as it has less legroom than the coupe. The R8 is a better option for larger guys as it has more room inside.

The F430 is surprisingly roomy too for a 2 seat italian car.

Old 07-24-2010 | 06:24 PM
|
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mdrums
If you are looking for Italian exotic go sit in the Ferrari F360 or 430..
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
The F430 is surprisingly roomy too for a 2 seat italian car.
Last year I passed up a phenomenal deal on an '07 F430...you guys are right, head room was pretty good...but something held me back (think i was comparing the power to my Vipers and wanted the F430 to be faster than it was) regardless I have always liked the edginess of the Gallardo better. At 6'3" with a long torso head room is always an issue when I look for cars. That's why I'm liking the new 911 when my current lease is up. But going for a pdk turbo this time.

Old 07-24-2010 | 09:26 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdrums
If you are looking for Italian exotic go sit in the Ferrari F360 or 430. Great seat profile, room for tall guys so so forth. Yes the Lambo has no room inside and is cramped.
I would take a 911 Turbo over the F430 anyday. As far as the F360, I would take a new M3 over that. Aside from the dead sexy exhaust note and ultra exotic status, those cars are a big headache unless you are uber-wealthy which I am not (I'm a doc not a rapper). Now if we were talking about a California, then things get a little tougher.
-Getz

Last edited by getz; 07-25-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2010 | 11:28 PM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
I heart my 997. I feel that for the money... really there's no car that offers the same comfort, performance, and practicality as my 997. It has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

Old 07-25-2010 | 06:52 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
I considered an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and an Audi R8 -V8... Both are beautiful on the road but I needed a Proper Sports Car. What I mean by that is that it needed to be SPORTS and it needed to be a CAR. The Aston and R8 feel like attention-seeking overachievers, not the everyday 'exotic' that I was after.

The 911 is an ICON; The most recognisable car shape in history, yet still flies under the radar.... Most people can't even tell what decade the 997 is from, they just know it's a 911.

Old 07-25-2010 | 10:28 AM
Aww thanks, see guys, this is a true friend, one who'll give you the keys to his Gallardo without even asking

Old 07-25-2010 | 11:45 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
Get a GT3 as you never see them on the road...on the track that's another story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New found appreciation for my 997