997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

dumping coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
dumping coolant

dont have time to do a search.. taking the car in...

i've had to fill the resevoir past 2 days...

chekced the cap, its fine.

where is all the coolant going? i hope its not the head gasket....

Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akim47

Maybe when it is HOT the reservoir may have a small crack(causing the plastic to more pliable)and the result is leaking coolant!?
I know you haven't had time to look BUT....
Look under your car and see if there are wet spots under the car or just under the coolant tank?
Head gasket...you should see steam out the exhaust(and may smell a bit sweet) when the car is warm......but maybe NOT if it isn't too bad yet!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 07-24-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
reservoir is usually the culprit...head gasket would be very rare

Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
evb1 is infamous around these parts
This is very common among Porsche's

The coolant reservoir gets cracked right in the middle and, when hot, leaks fluid.

It falls on the exhaust so you never see trace on the floor.

It drips from the bottom, in most cases.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Man, I tried to get the car in, but ran out of time...

Is it okay to drive the car in by the way? i can just load up with some water bottles and keep filling up the resevoir, or is this dangerous?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7S_Maintenance

correct? more parts needed beyond this and some porsche coolant?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
not an easy diy project...check this thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sion-tank.html

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
thanks chuck. i just read the thread a minute ago after starting to research the issue.

im a bit worried about sourcing the issue as i cant seem to find a leak or any drippings. this is even after i filled the resevoir and left the car sitting in the garage overnight. so now the car is cold and there wouldnt be any evap when dripping on exhaust.

stuttgart performance is really close to me, so im going to try and take the car there early in the morning...

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
RE: coolant

Mine was doing the same thing, turned out to be a small crack. DIY would be tough after I saw what the shop did to replace it. I was told the coolant tank is recycled plastic and good for about 8 years, not sure if this is true but mine went at 9 years.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
i've been trying to get to my mechanic. just my luck, he's having a baby.. doh! so i scheduled to drop my car off at RSS tomorrow.

i noticed today that there is coolant coming from the front passenger side from some small runoff type tube? not sure what this exactly is or its function... but i can smell coolant every time i drive the car. trying to get this into svc quick to diagnose the problem.

just my luck, i just sold my mini cooper this week as we are making room for a family car with a baby on the way. so this is my only transportation....

Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i noticed today that there is coolant coming from the front passenger side from some small runoff type tube? not sure what this exactly is or its function... but i can smell coolant every time i drive the car.
hoses or radiator then.
it`s a beatch when it starts to leak in front. add up only distilled water, most likely you will need to flush whole system later anyway if it is a radiator job.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM
so i just got back from my p-tech...

turns out the heater core is the culprit. a week ago, i turned on the defroster to be surprised by a blast of hot air (i'm used to cold AC coming on)... i left the heater on running at full blast to try to get the windows to defog... at the time i noticed (but did not think anything of it) a smell and noticed that the defroster left a residue on my winshield... this may have been a problem that was there but when i blasted the heater, it caused the problem to really manifest itself.

you can't really see the heater core from the bottom of the car. It's located under the plastic strip where the windshield wipers are and behind the battery. he diagnosed the core as the problem as coolant was dripping out of the central a/c drain tube. what was dripping out was the pink coolant, and it was warm.

my tech said that these usually never go bad, it was the first time the parts guy had ever ordered one... i just got hit with a bit of bad luck. he said it will be relatively easy to change. typically parts and labor on this would be $600-700ish if it was warranty work. i don't have any warranty on my car, so this is more the reason why it's a good idea to have your p-car covered... small parts and labor can add up quick!!! but oh well, i'm married to and love my car, and it's not the worst thing in the world... i paid for expedited shipping ($50!!!) on the part so i can get my car back tomorrow.

he commented that for the most part, the '06 997.1C2S is a really good car with not too many problematic issues. He was talking about the 997.2 cars and all the newer cars with DFI - they are getting tons of warranty claims for the high pressure fuel pump... we were also talking about cayennes and between the coolant tubes (plastic), coils and cardan shaft issues, they are a bit of a hassle to maintain... no one said these cars are cheap!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, if I'd read the story about the defroster I would have pointed you right there to start with. My first car, an 85 VW Jetta had this issue.. the heater core leaked and when I turned on the heater in the first winter I owned the car the inside would get hot but damp too and there was distinct smell of coolant. (VW eventually issued a recall for that part)

I'm now so in tune with that smell, it helped me track down my 997.2 coolant leak from a few drops being at the base of the water pump.

The 997 design is actually quite good there, given the core is so easy to remove. Its true those rarely fail, so those parts are frequently hard to get to and require pulling out dashboards in most front-engine cars where the heater core and evaporator sit in a tub in the ventilation system under/behind the dash, but inside the car's cabin.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
Not alone...

Akim, I'm glad they were able to diagnose your problem. As I'm reading your post, I am nodding my head because I have the SAME mysterious loss of coolant, and my tank has been changed once, and my coolant flushed and pressure tested twice!

Everytime I run a track day, or a day like Sunday, my coolant goes low, and I can SMELL the coolant, but NOTHING is leaking....I am also going to guess the culprit is the tank.

In any case, I see your problem was fixed, so ENJOY IT!

O

Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
part was delayed, so i am supposed to get the car back tomorrow. sucks that i sold my mini last week. i was forced to rent a dodge charge from enterprise next to my dealer @ $70 per day!!! if i had advance notice, i could have gotten corp rate from hertz @ 30 a day. $140 for rental car. $275 for heater core... geez... anyways, i cant wait to get my car back!!!

i was hanging w my friend today who just got an 07 C6 Z06. Not a P-car but it was pretty impressive on the streets. made me want my car back even more!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dumping coolant