997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ugly incident & P-car ownership regrets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
mander is infamous around these parts
I expected much more negative envy of my 911 than I have received. Indeed the reaction by strangers has been much more positive than to my previous BWMs and Audi. My theory, at least for me, is that I am a much less aggressive driver - older and nothing left to prove. Doesn't mean I don't wring the car out - just don't do it in traffic.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Nthusiast,
Great thread with alot of interesting input.....I told u not to sell the rover....LOL U need a daily driver.

Jim

Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
I almost hit a guy crossing behind a semi. He popped out as I was near the rear of the truck and I had no time to react. He kicked the door of my car, honda civic. My first reaction was to get out and confront him since he damaged my car. Then I thought, my god this guy could say i hit him and wammo I'm in the clink for "hit and run" Instead I appologized for not having x-ray vision.

In our town, people constantly J-walk. THey don't care if you going through a green light at 35 MPH, they feel entitled and have no problem stepping out into a blind intersection, against the crossing lights. More than once there were very bad accidents caused by people braking hard to not hit these A*&^% and were rear ended. Then they *****, because they don't have enough brains to understand the signs.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Sweeper
I almost hit a guy crossing behind a semi. He popped out as I was near the rear of the truck and I had no time to react. He kicked the door of my car, honda civic. My first reaction was to get out and confront him since he damaged my car. Then I thought, my god this guy could say i hit him and wammo I'm in the clink for "hit and run" Instead I appologized for not having x-ray vision.
I don't see how that could have been the result. For it to be hit an run, you would have to leave the scene of the accident. The way you tell it, there was an accident... the pedestrian ran into your car. (now its not clear how fast you were going, but it certainly sounds like the pedestrian just wandered into the road expecting magic would protect him. You should have stopped, called the police and see what happens. If he was in a cross-walk, then your at fault, but if its not a cross walk, the pedestrian needed look before walking.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RyanJ
Porsches are simply not attainable for 99% of America.
I'm not buying that. (no pun intended).

Many Americans drive around in SUV's and pickup trucks that cost more than several models of NEW Porsche's and a whole lot of used ones.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
That is a strange psychological phenomenon, isn't it. For financial advisors, where I'm demanding the person help me make money by leveraging my free resources, I can see some indication of success on the part of the advisor as good.

However, like my dentist, too much display of success when in the business relationship (ie at the place of work) suggests you are paying too much for that muffler.

I would have a very hard time hiring or not triple checking the pricing on anything from a landscaper that drove to my hard in his Ferrari, lets say.

Every time my dental hygenist asks if I want a parafin treatment for the hands while I'm in the chair, or a foot massage, I comment that I think I'm paying too much for my dental treatment. The cost for all that non-dental crap comes out of my pocket as either copays or insurance premiums. I'd rather not subsidize pampering and just get my teeth cleaned for the price of that service.

I've also heard folks not driving their nice cars to work because of what their colleagues would think. I know I was a bit uneasy when I first let slip to my boss that I drove a 997 Targa.

Its an odd thing, the human mind.
I view financial advisors like salespeople . If I listened to most of them I would have been flat broke . But I view all services like this . I don't go to the dentist to just sumbit myself to his professional whim . I sit quietly .. listen to his opinion .. thank him ... think it over and make my own choice. Some patients are easier for them to convince I guess -- but they usually don't have the money or insurance coverage to make collecting that payment as easy as someone who can .

In fact it amazes me that if one goes to two dentists on the same day how the opinion can be so different.

If either I or my insurance is paying for a service then ANY aspect tied to that service is free game for me to have an opinion . If he drives a porsche he's entitled to it but if i see fees and commissions that hint at him wanting a new exhaust i won't say anything .. but it does factor into my final choice .

Sometimes it works out to pay for another guys car amd buy whatever expensive service or item that is being sold because it really does offer all around benefit. I even feel this way with cars . and enjoy following the price fluctuations.

I look at it like this .. If "ME FIRST" comes with a higher fee .. then sure bring on the root canal . throw me into a leveraged derivitive , pay MSRP for the limited production car .. but if the guy providing the service is going to win .. then I have to win too because if I am not .. he has wasted his time even trying to talk to me. That won't buy him an exhaust. It won't even buy him new tires.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
911's are somewhat unique in that many people can't distinguish an old vintage one from a new one! To us it is obvious, but to the general public, a 993 might look as new to them as a 997. The traditional 911 look has been maintained. Therefore, since most 911's look possibly new, the owner is perceived as being rich.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
This past weekend my parent's neighbor of 16 years and great friend of ours drown in Cancun....left behind two teenage daughters that both really needed him.

If you can afford the car, and enjoy the car - then drive it and enjoy it like it was new every time you get in it. Every time, every day. Life's short pal, and it could be over five minutes from now. As for your friends, Karma gets everyone.

By the way, I love my F-150!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
sigfla is infamous around these parts
Not a P car but I once had a guy hit the trunk of my 540i with a baseball bat while I was in a bar. Left a nice dent in the trunk and I knew it was someone outside but the local redneck contingent outside kept up their code of silence on the issue. Paid for the repairs and didn't let it bother me. All part of the game I chose to play in driving a nice car.

Now the P car would hurt a bit more if it was damaged. One day I am sure someone will take out their frustration on it. I will again fix it and move on. Unitl then I am careful and try not to put myself in a spot where it or I might get hurt over it.

I also carry and if someone hit my door I probably would flash the weapon to deter their aggression. I have no problem using a handgun to defend myself if necessary but would not casually bring it out unless necessary. We have become a polite society filled with impolite and bad behavior. 100 years ago you didn't F with a mans horse or his woman unless you were prepared to defend yourself.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
if it makes you feel any better, few years back when I just fully detailed my M3 and went for little drive with my buddy on pass seat, stopped at red light noticed some old school chevy on my left lane music blasted etc, we didn't pay no attention. As soon as the light opened and as they took off, here comes mustard, ketchup, fries and some other crap flying on to my car, windshield, hood etc. We were just shocked that what just happened?? If I wanted to I could have chase them down and reported to cops, but I just let them go and have karma deal with them. I believe in God and what comes around and goes around and leave it at that.
Don't let some punks ruin your joy, keep the car and enjoy it while you can.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Sometimes my job takes me into some bad areas of LA. I never drive my 911 there. And I only go there during the day and leave before 5PM.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Envy and anger/frustration are everywere.

I'm 24, and the fact I drive a 996tt gets me sooo many bad thoughts and sentences from people...even friends. They all assume that I make money either not paying taxes or doing some sort of "illegal" business.....I've heard so much bull**** that I simply don't care anymore about what others think of me.

Last edited by emadelta86; 10-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
MattAu is infamous around these parts
Sorry that this happened to you. Are you sure it was your P-car? The same thing happened to me last summer. I was driving my other car - old Subaru Outback Sport wagon. And the door was damaged.

Originally Posted by Nthusiast
Most of us have stories of one more times where someone took offense to the car we drive. Be it out of jealousy, personal regrets, or just internal anger issues we've either experienced, or heard of, situations that owners of nice cars have been targeted by others. I experienced it first hand this weekend. I won't go into all the details (too long to explain) but the highlights are that I called 911 after two 'gentlemen' kicked my car door while I was in a parking lot because I didn't stop to let them pass (they were not crossing at a crosswalk).
They became not only verbally abusive but also physically threatened me (and my property). I should have just drove away. I should have realized that nothing good was going to come of the situation. Something in me said they shouldn't get away with it though (even though I didn't see any damage) so I called the police. Although the officer was very pleasant and had a nice talk with them, nothing did come of it except this...

I feel like it's not worth it. I love my Porsche. This is my 3rd (Cayenne, Cayman, and now 911) but for the 1st time as a P-car owner I feel like it's truly not worth it. There will always be people in society that are jealous, that are angry, that carry misconceptions of those with nice material things...but the violence that can come from seemingly out of nowhere is scary. I've been thinking about selling my RRS S/C and using the 911 as a DD. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of both, getting something non-assuming, pocketing the cash and feeling safe.

Thanks in advance to those of you that will jump in and say "that's why I never drive my car to the mall or any other parking lot". My reality is that I bought this car to be driven, not to be a garage queen. I just didn't expect to experience the true ugliness of society. Thanks for listening.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, way over reaction to this incident on your part to now want to sell your Porsche. The same exact thing easlily could have happened to any car you were driving and was a result of you not stopping to let them pass. Obviously you pissed them off and they felt a desire to get back at you.
My recommendation, keep driving the Porsche if you truly love it and next time either let them pass or don't stop.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
not sure why this thread was resurrected

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Wow, way over reaction to this incident on your part to now want to sell your Porsche. The same exact thing easlily could have happened to any car you were driving and was a result of you not stopping to let them pass. Obviously you pissed them off and they felt a desire to get back at you.
My recommendation, keep driving the Porsche if you truly love it and next time either let them pass or don't stop.
I'm not sure how it was a "way over reaction" given that my car was kicked as part of an unprovoked event. However, posting the thread and questioning P-car ownership was an emotional reaction to a volatile situation. Whether it was the P-car or not, I can't imagine that you would not be upset if the same happened to you. Given your psychic abilities to see the event as it happened, you are obviously much smarter than me.

This original thread was created in July - I'm not sure why it was resurrected but I'm happy to say that I'm still a proud owner and try not to let a$$holes get to me (although by my own admission, responding to this thread shows that I still have some work to do).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ugly incident & P-car ownership regrets