997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

got smoked by a GTR this morn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
I wonder how much horsepower the GTR REALLY makes?

Gotta wonder if the factory stock output of the GTR is legit-- Car and Driver magazine serously questioned that upon it's debut, sometime back. I remember the factory said 480 horsepower-- but based on the car's weight, etc., it's dragstrip performance pointed to like 540 hp. Several manufacturers have "fudged" the facts like this before--anyone remember the Buick Grand National?? That car was turbocharged to about 245 hp (if I remember right) said the factory-- but then ran 12's in the quarter for a VERY heavy car. Was really putting out WAY more than 245 hp. Word was they undercut the real hp rating for insurance purposes, etc.

Just wondering if the factory is really coming clean with the GTR.

Also, the 997tt.1 only has a 5 speed tranny (as related on the show)-- if the 997tt.2 had the 6 speed manual or maybe the 7 speed PDK (does it come with that?) I think the results would have been very different.....

Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by norton

Also, the 997tt.1 only has a 5 speed tranny (as related on the show)-- if the 997tt.2 had the 6 speed manual or maybe the 7 speed PDK (does it come with that?) I think the results would have been very different.....
Good point. However, isn't 997.1 TT tiptronic supposed to be faster than 997.1 TT manual. I didn't want the video carefully but did the driver even do the brake torque? I am sure 997.2 TT pdk would have done much much better.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Uh, those things are quick. On Youtube there are some turbos that race them and come from a couple of lenghts behind when the turbo kicks in to win. But, most are down from the start.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Be aware of these sleepers!
Sorry, but I have to call this out...you called GT-R sleepers!?!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
Seriously.. Were you expecting a different outcome?
x2

Originally Posted by Taxi!
I recently watched an episode of Battle of the Supercars where the GTR beat a 997 TT in straight-line acceleration, so don't feel too bad.
the new turbo PDK will have better straight line acceleration than GTR

Also interesting article from Road & Track last month.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co.../culture-clash

GTR vs ZR1 vs 911 Turbo

GTR was the only 'automatic'.. the ZR1 and 911 were both 6-speed manual.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
My thoughts....

Debadged modded E55 wagon .... walking your 997... that's a sleeper. BMW 7 series alpina with some mods walking you, again sleeper......even a stage III SRT Neon well tuned walking your 997, again sleeper. But calling a GTR a sleeper is like calling a F430 a sleeper to anyone that knows cars. That car is a beast....insanely fast, technological marvel, and personally I don't car if it's a Nissan. I applaud Nissan for unleashing Godzilla on this nation of supercars. A car at a fraction of the $ walking F cars and Porsches (porsche owner here) and Ferrari's...how great is that? I can tell you how great.... take a look at the stats on a 2010 997.2 PDK.... thats a hell of a jump from the 997TT.1 and why? I have a hunch the GTR had a bit to do with it..... the GTR put some punishment on the 997.1TT as that was the car Nissan went gunning for. But the Porsche put Godzilla to sleep with its 997.2TT pdk for all the stat ****** out there. That is not meant to be an insult, as I thrive of stats myself; 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, handling etc etc...but only about 50% of my overall criteria (raw performance) when I personally asses a car. Asthetics (yes looks matter....inside and out and the GTR from outside isn't all that bad but from the inside its no where in the league of a 997) and driver fun factor make up the rest............

GTR gave the car performance builders a swift kick in the **** and waked up a few domant makers IMO....you will see only faster cars being made due to the GTR... so personally happy it came along and smile every time I see one on the road....

Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTSilver997
Sorry, but I have to call this out...you called GT-R sleepers!?!
Yeah, call me naive! My only experience with the GTR's is reading about them. I did not expect them to be that fast, let me reiterate... that much faster then me. So I have been taught.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Didn't Nissan specifically purchase a new 997.1 TT as a dedicated car they could test the GTR against during development? I remember reading about something along those lines. If you watched the Battle of the Supercars episode, you could tell Paul Tracy didn't think much of it at the top of the show, and then he slowly warms up to and by the end of the show the guy is in awe of how fast it is. As a p-car (08' C2S) owner I wouldn't trade (up or down depending on who on this board you ask) for a GTR at this point, but I for one actually love the looks and moreover respect what is under the hood of that beast.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
hey look at it this way!

You got taught the fun way!!! Your car is still amazing...just GTR is a much faster car.

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Yeah, call me naive! My only experience with the GTR's is reading about them. I did not expect them to be that fast, let me reiterate... that much faster then me. So I have been taught.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I thought it was common knowledge that a GTR is faster off the line than most of the 911's on the road. It was built to beat the Europeans. Doesn't bug me because it is a soul-less Japanese Corvette ZR1.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Saying that the GT-R is just a Nissan (or Japanese), especially after a loss in a drag race or whatever, is a pretty pathetic and d-baggy reason to justify your purchase over one. This is more apparent when it is the Porsche driver instigating the race. I know this isn't everybody on this thread, but you might as well beat a Ferrari owner and have them say the same thing to you.

They are fast cars for relatively cheap. Is there anything wrong w/ that?

Last edited by jherbias; 07-27-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RyanJ
Doesn't bug me because it is a soul-less Japanese Corvette ZR1.
When one car loses to another in all objective performance criteria, use a completely subjective indicator to proclaim victory.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
When one car loses to another in all objective performance criteria, use a completely subjective indicator to proclaim victory.
I want to use this as my signature, especially after seeing the cars you own in yours.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Butt ugly car in IMO

Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
And this relates to the OP and performance how?

It's soul-less, it's ugly, it's a Nissan...and it still smoked the C2S.

I guess some have a hard time accepting the GT-R's awesome performance on the track or at the drag strip...two years after its introduction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.