997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

got smoked by a GTR this morn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by norton
Gotta wonder if the factory stock output of the GTR is legit-- Car and Driver magazine serously questioned that upon it's debut, sometime back. I remember the factory said 480 horsepower-- but based on the car's weight, etc., it's dragstrip performance pointed to like 540 hp. Several manufacturers have "fudged" the facts like this before--anyone remember the Buick Grand National?? That car was turbocharged to about 245 hp (if I remember right) said the factory-- but then ran 12's in the quarter for a VERY heavy car. Was really putting out WAY more than 245 hp. Word was they undercut the real hp rating for insurance purposes, etc.

Just wondering if the factory is really coming clean with the GTR.
Based on independent dyno runs it appears that Nissan isn't padding the numbers. Most show between 410 and 425 whp depending on the dyno being used. I think the combination of a sophisticated all wheel drive system and the DCT are big reasons the GT-R performs so well between 0 and about 120. Above 120 the big horsepower cars will take it to the Nissan. Luckily for us GT-R owners and extra 75whp comes pretty cheap.

I spent last week test driving a number of 997.2s with my dad who is thinking about upgrading from his '03 996. The 997 is an impressive car, but I didn't come away thinking the interior was leaps and bounds ahead of the Nissan. Granted, none of the cars we drove had full leather so that might be part of it. I definitely like the alacantera headliner in the 997 though. Please understand that this is coming from a guy who is saving his pennies to get into a 997.2 when I'm done having fun with Godzilla.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
GTR is wicked fast, wicked fun and clearly faster than most 911's. It may not have the panache of Porsche but park both cars into a parking lot and see who gravitates towards the 911; not many. What sold me on the 911 over GT-R was the long term reliability and maintenance costs. Personally, I would never, never, never buy a used GT-R. But I would definitely buy a new one.

It is "just a Nissan" and that is important to some people. This is the same argument I've heard from colleagues who are interested in the Lexus LF-A. At the end of the day, would you rather have your valet pull up in your Lexus or Ferrari? This is hard to understand to (probably) most of us gearhead types. But for folks who buy $40,000 worth of Louis Vuitton luggage... Image matters. This is also why I'm suspect that Hyundai will succeed with the Equus that they will pull customers away from 7 Series and S classes (didn't VW learn this with Phaeton?).

GT-R is a great car if you're not a badge snob, there are just many hidden costs in GT-R ownership.

Last edited by KK Moto; 07-27-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
I don't agree with the fact that people would not move to look at the 911 over the gt-r. I was at preminer getting my front bar and they had a new gt-r and the new 997 turbo. I checked the gt-r out for a bit cause you don't see too many on the road but....heck I almost ate lunch checking out the turbo...maybe I'm bias but I'll take turbo.....plus the the gt-r looks wise yuck!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, 997.1 TT can be very easily modded to 750 horses that should beat GT-R if such goal has to be pursued. top 997 tt are modded almost to 1200 horses as i read about it, not sure only for how long can it drive like this...

for track info - 7:26.70 is top time for GT-R, Roehl`s gt3 time is 7:42, best gt3 rs time is 7:40. GT2 time is 7:32.

So even if it is a 'nissan' with no stigma, this car apparently can drive.

Did they fix issues with transmision going south on a track?
I haven't even sat in one, I am just relaying the info. I agree they can drive, but I don't think that it is as enjoyable to drive, of course this is just my interpretation of someone other then my own opinion.

I think they are amazing how a car as big and heavy seems so easy to throw around a track.

Last edited by NorthVan; 07-27-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
so amazed ...not one comment about 110MPH on the street? ...in morning rush hour??

oh wait, not rennlist

Old 07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Depending on the driver of the Porsche, the GT-R may or may not beat a 997TT.1. They're very close in performance.

Just like the turbo Porsches, GT-Rs can be modifed very easily and make a lot of power with simple bolt-ons, so...when it comes to the GT-R, unless you're driving a Turbo Porsche (TT, GT2 or Panamera TT), I probably wouldn't mess with them.
i respectfully disagree . The GtR will cream a 997S in every way off the line or roll --even bone stock. The 997S driver ought not even try.

In fact a 997.1tt will also lose if both are stock --or at best it will be very close. the 997.2tt will beat the Gtr.

It gets more intersesting when they are modded . An Evt700 will pull a stock GtR and leave that GtR driver thinking he was in reverse. whether it's on a dig or on a roll .. the stock GtR can not compete with a modded Turbo.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
i respectfully disagree . The GtR will cream a 997S in every way off the line or roll --even bone stock. The 997S driver ought not even try.

In fact a 997.1tt will also lose if both are stock --or at best it will be very close. the 997.2tt will beat the Gtr.

It gets more intersesting when they are modded . An Evt700 will pull a stock GtR and leave that GtR driver thinking he was in reverse. whether it's on a dig or on a roll .. the stock GtR can not compete with a modded Turbo.
I never said anything about a 997s, as it would have no chance against a GT-R.

As far as the 997.1 TT, stock to stock they are almost identical in the 1/4 mile, but the Porsche pulls harder up top as the distance increases. Click the link I posted in post #8 of this thread.

Modded, it comes down to whoever has the best mods and is making the most power.

I have to laugh at the guys saying it's just a "Nissan". Those are typically the same guys that say "it's just a Chevy" (Z06 or ZR1), or "it's just a Ford" (Ford GT). I guess that's the attitude that seperates those who are true car enthusiasts from those who aren't.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-27-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by leneuromancer
so amazed ...not one comment about 110MPH on the street? ...in morning rush hour??

oh wait, not rennlist
re the rennlist comment

Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I'm not so sure a 997.2 TT will out perform a GTR. The ''Ring' times have the GTR (and ZR1) a winner by a few seconds in '09. The new GT2RS is clearly faster..but the rest of the P-car's are following....at least according to Wiki.

I know there are other races and tracks to compare the two breeds...but the GTR looks like it has most 911's beat. Maybe "soul-less" wasn't the best word-choice, but to me this is akin to an expansion team winning the world series. I'd prefer to own a car that has history.

I haven't driven a GTR, but I was fortunate enough to get a ride in one, this summer. It accelerated super quick and was very tight on corners. It was a lot of fun..in a Corvette BEAST type of way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I never said anything about a 997s, as it would have no chance against a GT-R.

As far as the 997.1 TT, stock to stock they are almost identical in the 1/4 mile, but the Porsche pulls harder up top as the distance increases. Click the link I posted in post #8 of this thread.

Modded, it comes down to whoever has the best mods and is making the most power.

I have to laugh at the guys saying it's just a "Nissan". Those are typically the same guys that say "it's just a Chevy" (Z06 or ZR1), or "it's just a Ford" (Ford GT). I guess that's the attitude that seperates those who are true car enthusiasts from those who aren't.
For a moment In had to take a second look to see if this was the 997 section as the OP's car was a 997S.
I agree with you then . The 997S did not stand a chance up to the GTR.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
For a moment In had to take a second look to see if this was the 997 section as the OP's car was a 997S.
I agree with you then . The 997S did not stand a chance up to the GTR.
Ya, someone posted to the OP earlier that he shouldn't feel bad for losing in his 997S since he saw a GT-R beat a 997TT in a episode of supercars exposed. That's what my reply about; TT vs GT-R.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Yeah, call me naive! My only experience with the GTR's is reading about them. I did not expect them to be that fast, let me reiterate... that much faster then me. So I have been taught.
It's time to get your 997.2 TT S and teach him a lesson T.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I dislike the "it's just a nisson" talk. In a few years will they be saying to us....

It's just a volkswagen.

???????

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I dislike the "it's just a nisson" talk. In a few years will they be saying to us....

It's just a volkswagen.

???????
I seriously doubt that.

Okay the GTR is fast. So what? Again, the old adage "there is always somebody faster than you" applies. I could spec out a Porsche 911tt in such a fashion that the GTR would be left so far behind, it would look like it is still waiting for its fenders at the factory.

I'd rather have the 556hp/551 ft lbs torque CTS-V, than that GTR without hesitation. But then again, it's isn't a Porsche either. And I'd still rather have a 997.2. Nissan did a great job on the GTR; so has Cadillac with the CTS-V.

But neither are a Porsche.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
I seriously doubt that.

Okay the GTR is fast. So what? Again, the old adage "there is always somebody faster than you" applies. I could spec out a Porsche 911tt in such a fashion that the GTR would be left so far behind, it would look like it is still waiting for its fenders at the factory.

I'd rather have the 556hp/551 ft lbs torque CTS-V, than that GTR without hesitation. But then again, it's isn't a Porsche either. And I'd still rather have a 997.2. Nissan did a great job on the GTR; so has Cadillac with the CTS-V.

But neither are a Porsche.
There are a ton of people who still say a Porsche or Audi is just a VW, despite their ignorance. Or, in regards to Porsche, maybe they're recalling the fact that the 356, original Beetle, and Tatra T97 are similar in origin.

And a Ferrari isn't a Porsche either.

Last edited by jherbias; 07-27-2010 at 11:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.