997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

got smoked by a GTR this morn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I dislike the "it's just a nisson" talk. In a few years will they be saying to us....

It's just a volkswagen.

???????
I always thought Ferrari is just a Fiat....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RyanJ
I'm not so sure a 997.2 TT will out perform a GTR. The ''Ring' times have the GTR (and ZR1) a winner by a few seconds in '09. The new GT2RS is clearly faster..but the rest of the P-car's are following....at least according to Wiki.

I know there are other races and tracks to compare the two breeds...but the GTR looks like it has most 911's beat. Maybe "soul-less" wasn't the best word-choice, but to me this is akin to an expansion team winning the world series. I'd prefer to own a car that has history.
I respectfully disagree with this analogy, the GTR (or Skyline GTR) does have history, and quite an impressive one at that....(if you do some research)...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
Told you the GTR's are fast. I'm sure a Turbo S or a LP560 would take care of zilla.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
GTR is a Nissan, can't imagine a 4 or 5 year old will have resale value compared to a P car. Also, Turbo and GT2 will out run it hands down, can't just judge on acceleration, there is a huge difference in the style of Japanese engineering vs German engineering. I can't help think Supra or video game when I see a GTR.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
Seriously.. Were you expecting a different outcome?
+1 LOL...

On a freeway roll w/ my bud in a GT-R (before the AWE cats etc... ) he left me like I was tied to a phone pole.

Outcome was pretty much as expected.

Wifey laughed like crazy and said she wanted a GT-R.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Soma415 is infamous around these partsSoma415 is infamous around these parts
So where's the link to the GTR forum thread titled "I slayed a 911 today!"

Total respect for the car and glad they finally brought it to our shore. At one point around 10 years ago I looked into how to import an R33/R34 and make one street legal in the US. There were companies who were doing this and would modify the steering wheel to be on the "right" (left) side. I soon determined it was cost prohibitive being a very recent college grad at the time of fixation. That cost is not so much a problem nowdays, but after visiting the Stuttgart factory shortly after + driving a 91 C4 across the country with my brother on a purchase delivery trip for my dad, I became fixated on obtaining a Porsche.

I do respect the current GTR for its history and prowess, but at this point unfortunately I can't get over the fact that it looks like a prop car from "The Fast and the Furious"...

Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The GtR is a very fast car at a decent price . Despite the Gtr hoopla -- ( recalls/ track waivers/ backpeddlle explanations on launch control ) the car is a fast beast. It also handles the power with a lot of confidence. It will NOT beat a modded Turbo . It will not beat a PDK Turbo (stock). Search the Turbo forum .. it's a frequent discussion topic. Example -- https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ned-video.html

Most normally aspirated owners in this section have pounded the pavement about nimble cornering ability . It almost surprising to hear a discussion about the 997S in this type of race but as long as that's the topic --the 997S will lose . It's just not what the car is made to do.

I actually picked 997s over the Gtr . I also picked the M3 over the GtR .
Neither of these cars are faster .. but they are great cars and suit practical daily driving with a style that i find very appealing.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-28-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robfxlr
GTR is a Nissan, can't imagine a 4 or 5 year old will have resale value compared to a P car. Also, Turbo and GT2 will out run it hands down, can't just judge on acceleration, there is a huge difference in the style of Japanese engineering vs German engineering. I can't help think Supra or video game when I see a GTR.
I had a four year old 1990 300Zxtt back in 1990 . It held value quite well . I paid in the low 40's and got 16 K in trade with 48K miles on the car for years later .

The Nissan was actually a great car .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-28-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by stockid
I don't agree with the fact that people would not move to look at the 911 over the gt-r. I was at preminer getting my front bar and they had a new gt-r and the new 997 turbo. I checked the gt-r out for a bit cause you don't see too many on the road but....heck I almost ate lunch checking out the turbo...maybe I'm bias but I'll take turbo.....plus the the gt-r looks wise yuck!

I'll take the turbo too !!!!!
-- but it comes with a huge price gap. A 997.2tt (Turbo S) is 170+K .
Even if one buys a 997.1tt used it will cost some extra time and expense to upgrade to run with the Gtr. it will still cost more.

BUT --I agree --I prefer the Porsche !!!!

If the person's spending limit is 85K and he's willing to accept some of the differences .. the Gtr is quite a bang for the buck .

Old 07-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
I've found the comments on this thread interesting and revealing.

There are two camps, equally voiced but both with reserved respect. I suppose you can look at it from any angle but in the end most of us landed in a 911 (with the exception of those who own both!).

"It's just a Nissan", a comment even I would give, is equally as strong as Clarkson's "It's a jumped-up, volkswagen beetle!" of a GT3RS in comparison to a F360CS. Whether or not we think a car has 'soul', the fact of the matter is that none have.

I can't comment objectively (or subjectively) on the performance of the GTR as I've never driven one, so I would suggest some of us could reserve that judgement until one has really driven one to appreciate the enormous value that the "Datsun" represents. I never gave any thought whatsoever to buying a GTR before buying my 911, but when people asked why I didn't I gave the following reasons:

Maintenance costs. A friend of mine who owns one had his brake pads crack after 5,000 mi. It had a history of 'race-track' use but Nissan (in Australia where I live) refused to honour the warranty. Due to this, he was forced to replace the pads at his cost, but also to replace the discs as both pad & disc were to be replaced together! (Serious weight calls for serious braking). This cost him $4,500 USD! A car that I can't track without seriously jeopardising my warranty and insane insurance and maintenance costs just doesn't add up when that much performance comes that cheap!

Styling... Well that's subjective so I'll leave that alone. Just not my cuppa.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The GtR is a very fast car at a decent price . Despite the Gtr hoopla -- ( recalls/ track waivers/ backpeddlle explanations on launch control ) the car is a fast beast. It also handles the power with a lot of confidence. It will NOT beat a modded Turbo . It will not beat a PDK Turbo (stock). Search the Turbo forum .. it's a frequent discussion topic. Example -- https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ned-video.html

Most normally aspirated owners in this section have pounded the pavement about nimble cornering ability . It almost surprising to hear a discussion about the 997S in this type of race but as long as that's the topic --the 997S will lose . It's just not what the car is made to do.

I actually picked 997s over the Gtr . I also picked the M3 over the GtR .
Neither of these cars are faster .. but they are great cars and suit practical daily driving with a style that i find very appealing.
So now you are going to compare a stock GT-R to a modded PTurbo? Come on man, you are smarter than that.

Have you seen the results of a Switzer or AAM tune on the GT-R? The most $$$$ will win the mod war. We are talking stock vs stock and the GT-R is a fantastic car out of the box....as is the 997S, 997TT. Different strokes for different folks. Some think the Porsche is ugly while others think the GTR is ugly

It's pretty easy to separate the true car enthusiasts from the badge snobs. The car enthusiast gives the proper credit where due and the Louis Vuitton luggage carrying, Prada sunglass wearing badge ***** in his/her Boxster thinks they're better because they have the gold crest Stuttgart emblem on the hood....or that a GTR is just a Nissan, a Z06 is just a Chevy, etc. Pretty funny actually.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I dislike the "it's just a nisson" talk. In a few years will they be saying to us....

It's just a volkswagen.

???????
yup. but it`s true, you know. to some degree.

my wife`s opinion is that i still did not get enough of playing with my childhood dreams, perhaps it is true. i enjoy working on a 911 car, cannot say i would be even half as interested to work on a gtr.
plus a friend of mine had older skyline - one can mod heck out of it, but to work on it wasn`t easiest thing.
and nissan warranty coverage on gtr is truly something very very odd. reading all those stories of warranty coverage declined for no obvious reasons at all really adds up to this 'nissan' comment as they seemingly apply mass-production customer neglect to a top-line exotic line. that alone really turns me of from both nissan and infiniy as it seems to be their company`s standard policy.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-28-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Is this for real?

I assume that this is for Euro GTR's

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-ac...hat-i-did.html

Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alan
I assume that this is for Euro GTR's

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-ac...hat-i-did.html
yep, i saw it before.
it is all relative. if you smash lambo at anything you will also have to pay some $$$, ferrari gearbox repairs cost a lot too, so, gtr stuff is crazy but it is all fine until it is covered by warranty.
but point is - it is not. any car is as good as its warranty is and as actual people who make decisions about that warranty is. In nissan case - both sucks big time.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by robfxlr
I think the GT-R might surprise you when it comes to depreciation, or lack thereof. When I bought my car the residual from Nissan on a 3yr/12k lease was 64%. The same lease on a 997S was in the low 50% range. I realize that residuals are little more than an educated guess, but at this point it appears that Nissan is expecting the GT-R to hold its value well over the next few years.

It also helps that Nissan is keeping production down so there is less of a need for deep discounts to move unsold inventory. At this point there have been less than 4000 GT-Rs sold in the US since '09. They cut 2011 production way back because a number of dealers still had '10s sitting on their lots.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.