997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

got smoked by a GTR this morn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
If we were lined up at a light

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Interesting thread.

I met a guy at work who purchased a Mustang GT (before the 5.0) and thought he had the fastest car in the office. He had no idea my Nissan (350 he called it) could even compare to his 13.2sec 1/4 mile.

People who don't know, don't know.

People who know what the GT-R is capable of, understand that released a beast. I'm having a VERY difficult time choosing my next car, because I'm trying to pick one that offers something the GT-R does not.

Is the GT-R the prettiest car? No.

Is it the fastest? Nope.

Etc...

It is a complete package, affordable (relatively), extremely easy to drive everyday, and fun to drive at the driver's limits (without getting into trouble).

To address the "sleeper" comment. Yeah, the GT-R is a sledgehammer out of the box. But it has become quite common to add almost 100hp by adding a Y-pipe and custom tune for about $2k. So these GT-R's (including the one that lined up with the OP) that like to 'push' it, are probably running close to 600hp. I don't know if that makes the OP feel better about his 'lesson' or not, but I hope it puts things into perspective about the distance.

If I were to line up with a 911, you better believe I'm putting my VDC to 'R' mode, and launching the sh*t outta my GT-R.

It's also equally as fun to show a 335i owner that he doesn't have the fastest car on the block.

disclaimer: poster is not delusional about the GT-R being the fastest car on Earth. There is ALWAYS someone faster.
I'd be happy to give a go using launch control as well, If I got smoked that would be just fine, but at least I would know my tranny is covered if it were to break

Sorry had to throw that in. Honestly I don't know why the two cars are really compared, other than price. I seriously doubt many people cross shop these cars. Maybe the GTR owner wants a turbo or even a 911S, but if the tables were turned the Porsche owner would have just bought a GTR.

I'm not a brand snob. I did not grow up dying to have a porsche, it just happened to be the car I feel in love with and its the best car I've owned to date

Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
I'd be happy to give a go using launch control as well, If I got smoked that would be just fine, but at least I would know my tranny is covered if it were to break
Mine is too. Not sure what you meant...

Every GT-R that is sold now comes with a launch control that Nissan wants their customers to use without any warranty implications (it's been this way for quite sometime now).

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Guess I did not know they fixed this problem

Mine is too. Not sure what you meant...

Every GT-R that is sold now comes with a launch control that Nissan wants their customers to use without any warranty implications (it's been this way for quite sometime now).
After driving a friend of mines car, I found it did not do much for me although i was impressed with its performance, so I never considered it as an option and did not follow it. The only time I see anything about them is when someone brings it up in this forum.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I agree, just a NISSAN, don't think it will hold its value like a P car. In my opinion, there is no comparison, P cars are bullet proof and last for years and years....................................

Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 AM
herbie911 is infamous around these parts
I know the GTR is a fantastic sports car and I hope other sports car manufacturer can learn a thing or two from this landmark car!
However, I rather buy a wellspec cayman s----its just a personal preference.
Its like the GT2 RS vs F458. The GT2 RS no doubt is faster but I would take the F458 if I can afford one!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
After driving a friend of mines car, I found it did not do much for me although i was impressed with its performance, so I never considered it as an option and did not follow it. The only time I see anything about them is when someone brings it up in this forum.
There are three different versions of launch control.

LC1 (early 2009's) - requires VDC off, clutch dump at 4500RPMs. not recommended my Nissan

LC2 (Nissan recommended upgrade for all '09 GT-R's, standard on 2010's) - no particular setting required (although VDC-R gives the best possible launch without completely disabling VDC) - clutch dump around 3000RPMs (adjustable by playing with throttle), recommended by Nissan.

LC3 (standard on 2011's) - Manual transmission setting only (not auto), VDC does not have to be disabled, revs to 3K RPMs, dumps clutch. Recommended by Nissan.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by robfxlr
I agree, just a NISSAN, don't think it will hold its value like a P car. In my opinion, there is no comparison, P cars are bullet proof and last for years and years....................................
I agree. The C2 is just a 911.

Yeah, Nissan doesn't have a good reputation for reliability. Neither does Honda, or Toyota.

I still see 1990-97 R32/R33 Skyline GT-R's still in circulation for $25k (even in countries where they were legal for a couple decades).

Still R34's are going for around $70K. What was the MSRP on those 10 years ago? Figure that out, and we can finish this mature/brand snobby/pathetic "just a Nissan" position of your's.

It's just a Koenigsegg. They have no racing heritage.

It's just an Ascari.

It's just a Lexus.

It's just a Pagani.

It's just a ....

Really?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
You act as if there is no problem but it takes only a quick jump over to NAGTROC to see owners moaning about shot transmissions that Nissan refuses to cover over warranty. The fact that Nissan builds a car like this then refuses to honor its warranty is the problem that many have with the car, especially when I have seen quotes far exceeding $10k for transmission work quoted by members of NAGTROC.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
The GTR is a good car, but it's ugle as hell, not a nice looking line on the car. The 911 is the epitome of a sports car and has been for 40 years, it is what others are judged by.

911 all day long for me, apples to oranges, but to each there own

Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm not a brand snob

I agree. The C2 is just a 911.

Yeah, Nissan doesn't have a good reputation for reliability. Neither does Honda, or Toyota.

I still see 1990-97 R32/R33 Skyline GT-R's still in circulation for $25k (even in countries where they were legal for a couple decades).

Still R34's are going for around $70K. What was the MSRP on those 10 years ago? Figure that out, and we can finish this mature/brand snobby/pathetic "just a Nissan" position of your's.

It's just a Koenigsegg. They have no racing heritage.

It's just an Ascari.

It's just a Lexus.

It's just a Pagani.

It's just a ....

Really?
But I had a horrible experience with both Nissan dealers where i tried to inquire about the car. The first one would not even allow me to sit in the car (that WAS for sale, I would have understood if it was sold) the second dealer had 3 on the floor and still treated me like a kid that did not even have the right to look at the car. Its not like I was in the dealership looking for a joy ride. I really just wanted to get an idea about the interior as I was looking for a daily driver. If we would have worked out number at that point I would have asked for a test drive but neither of these dealers seemed to have any motivation to get to that point. The sales people just seemed to be in awe of the car and out classed by it, but to me it was just a car that I had real interest in possibly buying and all I wanted was to be treated like a person that was a potential client and this was not the case.

My experience at the Porsche dealer was far different. To be fair I do know the sales manager very well, but I was treated like gold, given the keys to anything I wanted to drive and their follow up was awesome as my whole deal was put together in about 10 mins while I was on vacation.

I get treated the exact same way at the lambo dealer that I use. So I don't know why the Nissan dealer could not do the same.

Personally I think that if I would have loved the car the dealership service would have still put me off from buying it. As I've stated before after driving it for about a week it really was just not for me so this will never be an issue

Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
You act as if there is no problem but it takes only a quick jump over to NAGTROC to see owners moaning about shot transmissions that Nissan refuses to cover over warranty. The fact that Nissan builds a car like this then refuses to honor its warranty is the problem that many have with the car, especially when I have seen quotes far exceeding $10k for transmission work quoted by members of NAGTROC.
I said, if I launch using my Nissan recommended LC2, there are no warranty implications. Fact.

It also takes a quick jump over to NAGTROC to educate yourself as to why these cars aren't being fixed under warranty.

I had my own issues with warranty - Cobb AP, Y-pipe, endless launching, track use, and Nissan GT-R HQ (in Japan) came back and said I have nothing to worry about, enjoy the next track event.
Originally Posted by Christian
The GTR is a good car, but it's ugle as hell, not a nice looking line on the car. The 911 is the epitome of a sports car and has been for 40 years, it is what others are judged by.

911 all day long for me, apples to oranges, but to each there own
I second this. If it weren't for Porsche, we wouldn't have the high standards across the board on almost every street car in existence.
But I had a horrible experience with both Nissan dealers where i tried to inquire about the car. The first one would not even allow me to sit in the car (that WAS for sale, I would have understood if it was sold) the second dealer had 3 on the floor and still treated me like a kid that did not even have the right to look at the car. Its not like I was in the dealership looking for a joy ride. I really just wanted to get an idea about the interior as I was looking for a daily driver. If we would have worked out number at that point I would have asked for a test drive but neither of these dealers seemed to have any motivation to get to that point. The sales people just seemed to be in awe of the car and out classed by it, but to me it was just a car that I had real interest in possibly buying and all I wanted was to be treated like a person that was a potential client and this was not the case.

My experience at the Porsche dealer was far different. To be fair I do know the sales manager very well, but I was treated like gold, given the keys to anything I wanted to drive and their follow up was awesome as my whole deal was put together in about 10 mins while I was on vacation.

I get treated the exact same way at the lambo dealer that I use. So I don't know why the Nissan dealer could not do the same.

Personally I think that if I would have loved the car the dealership service would have still put me off from buying it. As I've stated before after driving it for about a week it really was just not for me so this will never be an issue
I've heard about some of the stories about bad dealerships. It's unfortunate. However, put yourself in their shoes.

Think back to when the car was new. Every 8yr old and their 14yr old older brother wanted to see it, and every 19yr old with no credit and no job thought he could buy one. Some dealerships have had enough of the bull (because of the hundreds of stupid 'buyers' before you). Some have even put up stickers saying it costs over $150K (just to keep the idiots away). This car has been hyped up a LOT by an audience that can't afford it.

I've talked about my experience at both a BMW dealership, and a local Porsche dealership. Both treated me like crap. I wanted to test drive an M3, and a 911 (respectively). When I came back in the GT-R, they took me quite seriously, unfortunately, I was looking for a second car, not a first one.

We've all had negative experiences at dealerships. It happens.

* edit: At my Nissan dealership, I get treated like gold. My wife gets first rate treatment. We don't wait for anything. We always get front-of-the-line privileges. We get loaners for everything (it is stated in the manual - even a simple oil change or tire mounting). Only 3 people can touch the car - GM, your appointed service rep, and your appointed tech. Joe NewGuy can't work on the Nissan - the dealership will lose their GT-R license (which required them to purchase special equipment, and send their techs/service reps to a basic class before the dealer would even send them a GT-R to sell). We even get free nitrogen whenever we drive up to the dealer (also stated in the manual).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 07-31-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Jasper you have to be kidding right

I said, if I launch using my Nissan recommended LC2, there are no warranty implications. Fact.

It also takes a quick jump over to NAGTROC to educate yourself as to why these cars aren't being fixed under warranty.

I had my own issues with warranty - Cobb AP, Y-pipe, endless launching, track use, and Nissan GT-R HQ (in Japan) came back and said I have nothing to worry about, enjoy the next track event.

I second this. If it weren't for Porsche, we wouldn't have the high standards across the board on almost every street car in existence.

I've heard about some of the stories about bad dealerships. It's unfortunate. However, put yourself in their shoes.

Think back to when the car was new. Every 8yr old and their 14yr old older brother wanted to see it, and every 19yr old with no credit and no job thought he could buy one. Some dealerships have had enough of the bull (because of the hundreds of stupid 'buyers' before you). Some have even put up stickers saying it costs over $150K (just to keep the idiots away). This car has been hyped up a LOT by an audience that can't afford it.

I've talked about my experience at both a BMW dealership, and a local Porsche dealership. Both treated me like crap. I wanted to test drive an M3, and a 911 (respectively). When I came back in the GT-R, they took me quite seriously, unfortunately, I was looking for a second car, not a first one.

We've all had negative experiences at dealerships. It happens.

* edit: At my Nissan dealership, I get treated like gold. My wife gets first rate treatment. We don't wait for anything. We always get front-of-the-line privileges. We get loaners for everything (it is stated in the manual - even a simple oil change or tire mounting). Only 3 people can touch the car - GM, your appointed service rep, and your appointed tech. Joe NewGuy can't work on the Nissan - the dealership will lose their GT-R license (which required them to purchase special equipment, and send their techs/service reps to a basic class before the dealer would even send them a GT-R to sell). We even get free nitrogen whenever we drive up to the dealer (also stated in the manual).
So who should these dealers have taken seriously? at the time I was 29 so not exactly a young kid and I did not come in demanding a drive. I can understand a dealer blowing off a 16 yr old although its still stupid because that 16 yr old might have very wealthy parents. I can understand a sales person asking questions to qualify a buyer as thats basically in their best interest to do so but I was just treated like an in convince. The funny thing is I drove a 997 turbo in to the first dealer and a Gallardo into the second dealer and still got absolutely no respect. Oh well, it turns out I'm a porsche person anyway and just did not know it.

I do totally respect the GTR for what it is, but I think Nissan would have been better served selling out of infinity dealerships.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Porsche vs. The world? You bet.

When I was a lot younger reading car magazines and listening to people compare cars in conversations, always and without fail a Porsche would be compared. Everyone who thinks that there is some sort of conspiracy about '911 & their owners', to 'be afraid' of the upcoming XXX model of XXX manufacturer, need not worry. It's true, and for good reason.

There is a long history among car enthusiasts and journalists to claim, for anything and everything on the pipeline, to trounce the 911[whatever version]. It has been used as a headline for just about every car magazine at one point or another, or continually today!

For the last 40 years, the 911 has been the BENCHMARK for marques and journos worldwide to test and compare a vehicle to. It's just like someone previously said; "a 911S is a jack-of-all-trades but master at none" is a pretty reasonable statement. The 911 is mass-produced and so exists in enough numbers to not be considered an ultra-exotic. So when another manufacturer comes up with a better performing vehicle the customer, like another poster said, wins! Porsche fan wins, everyone wins. This continual progression of competition and evolution is what fuels the human spirit of advancement and achievement. May it never die.

For Porsche 911 owners & drivers, this yardstick is testament to the 911's character and Porsche's achievement over the decades. They should be proud to be compared to, even if the 911 is sometimes eclipsed by another car.

This is not the first time a Japanese car has challenged the 911.

Remember all the other GT-Rs? There were the R34s, R33s and R32s. And lets not forget one of the most underrated sports cars of all time, the legendary Honda NSX! (Let us just say that the NSX turned the world of the 'exotic' sports car upside down, and has definitely changed the way Porsche built their cars, not to mention everyone else)

It's truly great to live in this modern motoring age, for no longer are we stuck to the 'old ways' of relying on the Europeans for making great cars... Japan has definitely come of age, capable of fighting well above its weight. The US sure have some real steeds in their stables. It isn't time yet for the Korea but they are evolving and while it's almost unfathomable now, the motoring Golden Age will come with China starts steps up to the plate....

Last edited by Howie; 08-02-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: dodgy spelling
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 AM
So who should these dealers have taken seriously? at the time I was 29 so not exactly a young kid and I did not come in demanding a drive. I can understand a dealer blowing off a 16 yr old although its still stupid because that 16 yr old might have very wealthy parents. I can understand a sales person asking questions to qualify a buyer as thats basically in their best interest to do so but I was just treated like an in convince. The funny thing is I drove a 997 turbo in to the first dealer and a Gallardo into the second dealer and still got absolutely no respect. Oh well, it turns out I'm a porsche person anyway and just did not know it.

I do totally respect the GTR for what it is, but I think Nissan would have been better served selling out of infinity dealerships.
I'm just saying... It's hard to brand the car by the dealerships. Although it happens, it isn't right.

My ownership experience has been far beyond previous Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti and BMW cars that I've owned. The sales experience was the best I've ever had as well. No salesmen - it was fantastic. Only two people should talk to you about the car - the dealer principal or the GM. Everybody else is a waste of space anyway (per our other discussion ). I dealt specifically with the GM, and had a great experience. I'd come in, and ask anybody a question - they'd respond with,"About the GT-R? I'll get Dwight (Sullivan)."

But I've also seen the flip side of this (not only at Porsche and BMW dealers in the past) at a GT-R dealership as well (because not all Nissan dealerships are GT-R certified). I went in to a GT-R dealership asking about another purchase (I showed up in a rental because I was on the road), and I was treated similarly to your reported experiences. I was sure to respond to the salesman that I already had one, and was looking to purchase a second, but he definitely lost a sale on me, and that he should try another approach next time. He probably didn't give two sh*ts about me. But what salesman really cares about customers? Funny, I think the two conversations are deeply related.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Howie
Porsche vs. The world? You bet....
Excellent post.

Competition is good for the market, it's good for everybody.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.